ER visit today ):

So ever since we purchased Dexter he has had issues... first it was diahhrea and when we finally clear that up he starts limping on his left leg and we waited for it to pass and it did, maybe he pulled a muscle or something... but recently had caught a cold and it sort of went away, well yesterday his breathing became really difficult and he was super lethargic... we thought maybe it was too hot so we continued on with the day, well we get back that night and he really wasn't looking good so I let him sleep on the bed with us and then I wake up to a thud... he fell off the bed trying to get down (mind you we don't even have a bedset its just box spring and mattress) then this morning he fell down a step trying to go potty ): so we brought him to the ER and he is currently on O2 and chest X-rays are being done ): I listened to his lungs last night and they were really junky. I'm thinking pneumonia ): has anyone's Husky had pneumonia before or anything that compromised their breathing?

image.jpg

Not experienced that with any of ours.  There has been a virus in some parts of the U.S. earlier this summer, that affected respiratory abilities with dogs.  It was highly contagious, and some dogs did not recover very quickly.  Hope the vets get it sorted.  A good check is to look at the gums. If they are nice and pink, the dog is getting enough oxygen. If pale, time to get to the vet.  Best of luck. Please keep us posted.

Hope they get to the bottom of it soon. Brooke gets reverse sneezing a fair bit but that's not nearly the same thing you're describing. Lungworms and viruses can cause respiratory difficulties. Other irritants inhaled or ingested can also cause problems.

Well he was admitted into the ICU for 3-4 days... he is on O2 and has a catheter in to push some fluids. His Xrays showed that his heart was an odd shape, they weren't too specific but they sent the radiographs off to a cardiologist to look at. His lungs are clear except for a little bit of stuff that could indicate a respiratory disease or allergies... they're not being specific at all because they have no idea what it is. They said he isn't even presenting as a "normal" sick puppy. He is so lethargic he can barely stay awake. His WBC was a little high which says infection, so they're treating him with antibiotics. I mentioned his pee smelling like popcorn so they're doing a urinalysis and testing for Lyme as well. Also his levels were high... some kidney test they did, and it means he is malnurished so the Vet was like "he hasn't been eating well for a while" which I felt like she was insinuating that we haven't been feeding him correctly or something which really bothers my Husband and I, ugh. He hasn't been eating as much as he should be because he has had a puppy cold for about a week but just yesterday is when it took a turn for the worse, he seemed to be getting better right before yesterday! He was outside at midnight to go potty Friday night wanting to play! Oh and the Vet when we left said we would get a call in 45 minutes for lab results, she never called so we had to call them. Then said she would call between 8-9pm before she left to give us an update and guess what? No call. This is ridiculous ): 

image.jpg

Picture was from Friday*

Poor little guy.

Fingers and paws cross over here that he has a swift recovery.

They still have no idea what is going on with him but they are thinking it has something to do with his hormones and it is hereditary/congenital... maybe something like Addison's disease. He is still in the Hospital, we visited him today. He was really excited to see us... he's still very sick though. Thank you for all of the wishes of a speedy recovery! Also here is a picture from todays visit :)

IMG_4881.JPG

IMG_4880.JPG

IMG_4886.JPG

Edited by Jay
Edited for content

• 2 weeks later...

Dexter has had a rough few weeks... he started to go downhill right before his surgery but he was stabilized and they went in to try and located the shunt and fix it. Unfortunately the shunt is inside his liver and not on the outside, which means at some point he will be needing another surgery. We have spent 10,000 dollars on Dexter within the last 7 weeks, and it really saddens me to say we are unable to get this second surgery at this time. So now our option is to either find a Husky Rescue that can take him and get him the surgery soon, or we try to medically manage him ourself and we keep him on a no protein diet and feed him supplements and continue his medication until we are able to give him his next surgery... it's really sad seeing him like this. He came home today, he has a little cone around his neck and he looks really sick and there is a huge cut down his belly. The cone is going to be on him for about 3 weeks and he can't do any running or exercise pretty much, for those 3 weeks. He is on blue hills prescription food and lactulose to help get the ammonia out of his stool. Fingers crossed he does well because the first week post-op is the most critical. Seizures are the big thing we are praying don't happen because they'll be bad enough to where he may have to be put down... even worse than seizures, he could fall into a coma by chance... so just everyone keep us in mind, please!

I posted some pictures from the last two weeks... the one of Justin and him in the car was Tuesday morning (07-22-2015) before his surgery and the ones with the cone on his head are from today... he just came home. He's doing okay! Super sleepy! I love our little man. The other pictures are just a few cute ones and one from me holding him the third day he was stuck at the ER.

IMG_4964.JPG

IMG_5220.JPG

IMG_4920.JPG

IMG_4955.JPG

IMG_5178.JPG

IMG_5042.JPG

He's lucky to have the two of you and when my wife and I were going through similar struggles it brought us a little comfort to think that the situation is not some terrible misfortune but rather it was meant to be because you can handle the stress and give him the care and attention and love he needs when too few others would!

Omg, so sorry to hear things haven't improved.   Are there any animal charities or orgsnisations around who could offer some help or advise on the financial side of things?  

Keeping everything crossed for the little guy.  He's adorable!  :wub:  

• 2 weeks later...

Dexter is doing well, the medication and food is keeping him stable and happy until he can undergo a second surgery! He has gained a little bit of weight and remains super happy, although after his surgery he was stuck in his kennel up until a few days ago... we noticed him getting super sad and he was all wound up sooooo my Husband and I agreed to get a second puppy BUT we didn't get another Husky, we thought of getting a pup who is a little more low key and not as high strung so we went with a Bloodhound. So far they are best friends lol Dexter cuddles with him and Moose licks Dexter and takes care of him and they play fight and they share everything. It's so freaking cute. Dexter seems much much much more happy and Moose loves his big brother! I attached some pictures for everyone to see :)

IMG_6032.JPG

IMG_6076.JPG

IMG_6137.JPG

IMG_6139.JPG

IMG_5908.JPG

IMG_6083.JPG