Jump to content
Mazz

Eisa -UPDATE- The Final Hours

Recommended Posts

Massive huggles from all of us....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Poor Eisa, it's the hardest part of dog owning, to watch them suffer.

I haven't noticed the thread before, so I gotta ask, what's the status of her lymph nods? When Kira couldn't stand up, that was the cause.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Poor Eisa, it's the hardest part of dog owning, to watch them suffer.

I haven't noticed the thread before, so I gotta ask, what's the status of her lymph nods? When Kira couldn't stand up, that was the cause.

Lymph nodes seem to be OK.  It's the muscle group in her thigh that is enlarged and very hard to the touch.  The vet feels the tumor is wrapped inside that muscle group.  It is resulting in stiffness in the leg, swelling, and the vet thinks her leg may also be numb to a certain degree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this is the worse part of owning a dog it breaks my heart to see them sick  my heart goes out to Elsa and you xx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My heartfelt thanks to you all.  We would have taken her to the University of Wisconsin Vet a Clinic, but their first available appointment is September 9th.  I don't think she will be with us by then.  Eisa is hardly eating much at all.  She sleeps, drinks a bit of water, goes potty, and then goes back to sleep.  She could hardly walk yesterday.  I had to use a support belt for her.  Stopped by the vet yesterday and picked up some pain meds.  Then stopped out today to drop off a stool sample for Zoya, and had a chance to talk to the vet.  He is so torn, because he feels there are not too many options for Eisa.  Normally, when swelling and lameness appear, there is about a 90% probability that the cancer has spread.  Because Eisa has now redeveloped lameness in her leg, and her appetite has dropped off, the vet said those are indicators that they don't like to see.  He wants me to up the dosage on her pain meds, and keep her comfortable.

Edited by Mazz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh Dave I've just read through this thread, I've not been around much lately.  

I'm so sorry for Eisa and I'm so sorry for you too. It is evident how much you love your dogs any one can see that. I really don't know what to say, I have no advice to give.  Just sending lots of gentle hugs to Eisa and a great big one for you.

Much love

Clare, Harry, Snowy and Maiya.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't add much to what Claire has said but just wanted you to know we are thinking of you too. Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today is a bit better for Eisa.  Still not much of an appetite.  Upping the pain meds seem to have helped for the time being.  She sleeps all day long and all night.  If I were to guess, I'd say she is sleeping 20 to 22 hours a day.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh Dave, I wish I were close to where you are.

I cannot begin to imagine how you are feeling right now and what lays ahead. Sending lots of hugs X

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

poor girl :(  glad she seems to be doing better, sending hugs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh Dave. I know that when I was at my worst with my stomach, sleep was the only escape I had so I tried to sleep as much as possible. Im guessing that she'll have good days and bad days. Hopefully the meds will help to increase the good days and keep the bad days down to a minimum. Sending hugs again. I guess that's not much help really but it's all I can think of to do. Xxxxxxxxx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eisa got me up before dawn this morning. She had to go potty.  So, I got dressed and took her out. Only thing is, she wanted to go for a walk!  And so we did. Not far, just a few hundred yards, and then we turned and headed back.  She limped a bit at first, seemed to work out the kinks, but was again limping as we came in through the garage to the kitchen.

She ate well this morning, about 5:30. Then took her back out at 6:00.  And now at 7:30, she is sleeping once again.  It will be about noon that she will wake up and I'll take her out again, and she will be good until around 5:00 this evening, when dinner time rolls around.  Next week I go back to work, so I'm hopeful that works for her.

Yesterday, Eisa seemed very alert when she was awake.  You could see it in her eyes.  Oh gosh, I hope I'm not reading more into this than what is reality. I think yesterday was one of the good days.  Today has started out as a good day.  Hope it continues that way.  As long as the good days outnumber the bad ones.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 As long as the good days outnumber the bad ones.

That last sentence is the attitude you should have. One day at the time. And let her enjoy the good days as much as possible :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All you can do is enjoy the good days!  Hope that she continues getting better :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thinking of you, Eisa and sending all our hugs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh gosh Dave, thinking of you and wishing all the best for Eisa 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Elisa has lost a lot of ground in the last ten days.  Our vet believes that Eisa has a soft tissue carsonoma tumor in the muscle group of her right thigh. Her leg is very, very swollen and she is unable to walk, lie down, or get up without assistance.  Her appetite has been nil for several days.  Even with pain meds, she is at a minimum uncomfortable at times, and in moderate pain at other times.  There is no magic wand unfortunately.  Our vet said amputation was the standard option, but that once the symptoms are noticed, there is a 90% probability that the cancer has spread.  Only 10% of dogs that undergo radical surgery to fend off cancer, survive significantly beyond the point if the surgery had not been performed.

We have decided that Eisa should not continue to suffer.  Tomorrow morning at around 8:00, Eisa will cross over on the Rainbow Bridge, to run free and have the burdens of this world removed.  Not an easy decision to make.  It's very difficult to decide that the time has come.

There will always be a place in my heart for Eisa.  She came to us four years ago from a local shelter. Immediately, she became a part of our pack.  She gave us her trust and affection for those four years.  I can only hope that she will not think ill of us for our decision.  I cannot stand to see her suffer, to struggle with every step she tries to take, and to be seemingly so distant as I look into her eyes.  She has such a gentle spirit, and she deserves better, but this is what life has dealt her.

i may be out of touch for a few days.  The grieving process has already started for me.  I am so, so saddened by this situation. I'm trying to be strong, but am finding that a bit difficult at the moment.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although painful it is the right decision. Eisa will go over thd bridge knowing love and will be free  of pain. Rest well beautiful girl xxx hugs to you all x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sending you all the love and support I can Mazz. Praying you find the strength needed to help you through this final journey. Xxx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So so sorry :(. We will be thinking of you. I will be giving my dogs extra hugs tonight :( Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.