29th July is Windows 10 day get ready for it

PaulG

ok here is a reminder on how to upgrade,

First update and run any antivirus and security tools you have such as spybot search and destroy to clean your machine of any problems

go to your C drive and run disk tools  scandisk and defragmenter to fix any file problems which will help speed your machine up a little

download all current updates go to search type update choose windows update and proceed again run the disk defragmenter  

Now as this is not a normal update you will want to create recovery disks so you can restore your old Operating System windows 7 8 8.1 etc, again go to search and type recovery disk you will need depending on system 3 to 5 blank DVD's. Once you have those Label them and put them some where safe.

Next this is a complete system overhaul so for safety you will need to back up your personal files address books and copy them to DVD, external hard disk or usb thumb drive. As these files are not copied in the system restore disks.

If you haven't already seen the small windows flag symbol down near your clock go to is and click it will take you to Microsoft where you can reserve a free upgrade saving you £99.99 just follow the on screen instructions. if you can not see the symbol click this link

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-10-faq?ocid=win10_auxapp_LearnMore_win10faq

if you need any help with any of these steps post questions here and I will answer them

Looking forward to this because:

1. I am a child and its something new
  2. I am a child and its something new
  3. I am a child and its something new

HAHAHA  oh yes got mine set to download and do their thing...

When I had trouble with windows 7 before (windows had irreversibly corrupted) I had an option to do a back up then. It copied all the c drive, users, documents etc.....but I'm not sure if it's a mirror of windows 7 or just a back up and restore of files.

depends on the system but as it would suck to do a backup and then restore and find out your personal stuff was not included its worth having those backed up. I have 3 copies

Main drive on my laptop, DVD's and pocket sized portable USB 1 Terabyte external hard disk (handy as I can stuff it pocket and take it anywhere to use).