Took my parents to buy a dog. Didn't.

Guinnessman

Ok, so I would not normally advocate Gumtree as a starting point for looking for a dog, but my parents have been trawling the rescue centres for six months without any joy. They are old and looking for the dog that is just right, not a puppy, smaller dog that wants to spend all day with an old couple who will still be active.

They saw this add on Gumtree and it looks perfect.  a501edb077b39881ffb2c02afcac851c.jpg Mum phones several times, chats to the owner. Story is, loves the dog, lives in a flat, works too long, lives alone cant keep, very sad to see him go etc. Arrange to meet at 3pm today, so I cancel everything and take my parents on the hour trip to see him. My Dads not very mobile so I suggest they wait in the car while I go and knock, it may be a first floor flat or something, which my Dad could not do. So glad we did.

I'm greeted by a twenty year old lad, not the middle aged man expected. "You here about Jasper? Just sold him, someone knocked 20 minutes ago". Suffice it to say not very happy, it would have been clear by my lack of words that I was.

Back to the car and break it to mum gently.

At this point, thoughts running through my head, that things not add up. It wasn't a flat, but a two bedroom house with decent garden. There were at least two other dogs there, I could here them. The guy was very matter of fact about the whole thing. Van I was parked next too had foreign plates. Then my mums phone rang, which I answered. Middle aged man that my mum had been speaking to. Evidently his son at the house had called him although he didn't say he'd called. He was very sorry, his son had sold the dog while he was at work. Clearly he knew I was not happy. He was not emotionally attached to the dog if he let his son sell him whilst he was at work.

i think he was worried as he said he would be home in ten minutes, offered to pay for my fuel if I waited etc. Stuff waiting for him, I've got a tearful mum in the car with an hour trip home. He really wanted me to wait.

now he may have been totally genuine, he may have been concerned for his son, or me reporting this somewhere. I don't know. I go quiet and gently but firmly spoken when I'm cross and I needed to leave. Was confused as angry and sad for parents, with thoughts of what might have been going on.

wanted to canvas your thoughts as not sure if I should report the experience somewhere (where? / why?) or am I just cross that my parents were upset by some numpty?

I do actually feel sorry for your parents is awfull when they get to think that they help a doggy in need and then this is the outcome...

I do get very disharted with people who sell dogs on the likes of gumtree and then make you feel that they do not really care about the dog(s) and they are just money making creatues...

If a 1 hr drive is not to much would Battersea dogs home not be of help...

That's so sad :-( hope u find a dog soon for them , I've had to edit your post due to rules of links to animal sales but I've posted the pic in place instead

thank you, silly mistake, seen it before. Doh!

(lovely looking terrier though)

Edited by Guinnessman

I do actually feel sorry for your parents is awfull when they get to think that they help a doggy in need and then this is the outcome...

I do get very disharted with people who sell dogs on the likes of gumtree and then make you feel that they do not really care about the dog(s) and they are just money making creatues...

If a 1 hr drive is not to much would Battersea dogs home not be of help...

Battersea is a great place, but in real terms is 1.5 to 2 hours, they can't go on their own so need me and it takes several visits.

We will keep an eye on the local rescues and I have some friends who regularly foster. Parents have had dogs for 70 years, they may be creaking a little, but will give a good home.

Battersea is a great place, but in real terms is 1.5 to 2 hours, they can't go on their own so need me and it takes several visits.

We will keep an eye on the local rescues and I have some friends who regularly foster. Parents have had dogs for 70 years, they may be creaking a little, but will give a good home.

hope they/you find something soon...

Sorry to hear this Phil. If they've got lots of dogs in there I would wonder if there's a possibility they're trafficking stolen dogs, stranger things have happened. Fingers crossed something comes up soon.

Happy Ending! Well at least for one old couple and a breeding bitch.

parents 'bought' a female Border Terrier. 7 years old. Bought from a nice family home who bred them as a hobby, however reading between the lines, they were getting rid of her to have a younger bitch. 

Parents are happy, dog is in a loving home and it was a token payment. She s a bit quiet for a terrier, but very friendly. New home and faces, no other dogs and hottest day of the year. I'd be a bit quiet. Needs a trim, groom and nails clipping, but otherwise seems in good health.

couple of pics of Tilley.

image.thumb.jpg.37d5c246858b0aeeee1dad8b

image.thumb.jpg.f952fa93fd50bfb09600d8f7