Gps Handheld Vs App..

robke

I have been thinking of buyimg a handhelp GPS machine to record where I have ben walking and see if this is something for me, but those are or can be expensive just to try it out...so I just tought have gp on my phone (note 3) so there must be an app that does the same for not that much money just to try it out...

I downloaded the Maverick app and spent the € 6,99 to go Pro and must say does exatcly what I want it to do...and can still listen to music and still work if needed (lol) and all in 1 machine...:P

Sounds like you don't need the hand-held GPS then.  I have a GPS app that can be used while driving.  I don't use it, but my son uses the app on his phone.

Have you tried runkeeper?  That tracks your walks and activity levels

I have mapmydogwalk...does the same thing I believe...but with the gps walking system you ca also geocoach and do track back and is as far as where you are a wee bit more acurate...

• 5 weeks later...

Phone apps are ok with gps but if your really in the back of beyond they can mess up as they may

not find a cell tower to download the map data from. The dedicated hand held GPS depending on type

will either have maps built in on internal memory or provide coordinates for you to use on paper map

to find your location and navigate by.

also hand held depending on cost can me more accurate phones can be plus or minus 30 meters which means

your anywhere within a 60 meter sphere of your location a true gps can be down to plus or minus 2 meters

or 4 meter sphere of your location.

also with a true gps you can pre program an exact route with multiple waypoints onto the device that

will lead you to destination. for navigation it really depends what you are using it for, a walk around a

new place a phone will be ok, two week hike into the mountains you will want real gps (as well as good old

fashioned map and compass just in case)

You can pick up used older gps units on ebay or amazon the good thing is most run on normal Batteries you

can buy anywhere so you can carry a few phones tend you run down fast when using gps all the time meaning

may have to invest in several expensive phone batteries or some other form of charging like a solar charger

Phones can still provide you with GPS coordinates and a compass even if they can't download maps, however they'll take a bit longer if it's been a while since you used it, as they need to re-download the GPS almanac (which is usually provided to the device much faster via the mobile network). Handheld GPS devices are the same, though may still give you basic mapping functionality.

I have used the Maverick app now a few times and works brilliantly can find it's position quickly and ones map is loaded it will keep it for 24 hrs or when you shut your phone down...