Are Two Huskies Better Than One?

I have an 18 month old female called star and she loves to play but we also have a grumpy

Chow chow who gets annoyed with her and tells her off .The chow has elbow displacia and

I think finds it a bit much. So I was interested in all your opinions whether I should get star a

Husky play mate .

no our relationship did not change Bindi is still my girl and Alpha is Di's boy (Alpha was abused by his previous owner and goes to women quicker then to us men..) some people say same sex is better and others say f/m is better...so it is something of you own preference....

Our relationship with Harry did change slightly when we introduced Snowy to our home but the sacrifice was worth it :)  We now have 3 dogs and it's quite hard work at times and of course expensive.  Ours are all rescues and we've been really lucky they all get on.  Our latest dog, Maiya (she's a Mal) hasn't always got on with our first boy Harry.  Whilst they didn't fight they just didn't really get on, more like just tolerated one another.  It took about 6 months before they engaged play with one another and now it is much better, though Harry is still wary of her but that's most likely because he was attacked by another big dog last year.

I would find the dog you like and then see if your husky gets along with him/her.  Personally I don't think it matters whether you go for a male or female, it's more about personality.

Best of luck :)

I agree it's all about personality, although I do have all 3 males.  Getting the second one (Yukon) was the best thing I ever did.  He was just a 8 week old pup, and Nikko was already 9 mos old though, but they got along great from the beginning.  When I got the 3rd (Kodiak), there was some initial tension between them, especially with Nikko.  It took them almost a year before they would play with each other.  If you get a rescue, like it was suggested, meet on neutral ground, take away all toys, etc that would cause fights, and feed them separately.  Keep the new one on a leash for the first few days, so  if there is any fights, you will be able to get them apart easier. 

best thing i ever did getting new baby  she was 6 months old when we got her she was in the house at most 20sec and sat on chair and told grumpy she was the new boss so dynamics change have to feed sep cos she will eat his he grumbles but walks away if you give a cuddle she get inbetween and she thinks she is a cat walks along bk of chairs and jumps like a cat and both of them dont make a noise he howled when we went out bt not since we got her realy best thing i did BUT if thay dont get on when you are not around you will have to plan for that its the bad side i was lucky but you have to think about it and dont forget two lots of fluffy fly away hair lol good luck :)

Our 3 are all males - the first, Kimba we got from a pup and he was really hard work on his own, we decided to get another (pup) and 6 months later 1 became 2 - a couple of years later a dog came up looking for a home and we fell in love - he got on great with our current 2 and is now firmly settled - we have food aggression with the 3rd and it's always something we have to be mindful of but they are all best buds now but like Claire said it's hard work at times but it's worth it :)

I wouldn't even consider a second dog until my first one is matured/trained to satisfaction. 

Your first dog learns from you...

Your second dog learns from your first...

In this regard, whether two huskies are better than one, you're the determining factor...

I wouldn't even consider a second dog until my first one is matured/trained to satisfaction. 

Your first dog learns from you...

Your second dog learns from your first...

In this regard, whether two huskies are better than one, you're the determining factor...

I have to disagree.  My first dog Harry, was approx 18 months old when we got him he would mouth us to the point of pain.  When we got our 4.5 month old pup, Snowy, all mouthing stopped and Snowy has never mouthed us. 1 year later we got a 6.5 year old Malamute called Maiya.  I would say the boys copy her, to the point they whine like she does (they never used to)

So in an ideal world you would want your firt dog to be fully trained and the second to learn from it, but in reality it just doesn't happen.  that's what makes it so interesting :)

and I must agree with Clare as well when Bindi was here alone she was a right biatch...Alpha comes in and she calmes right down to even go so far as mothering instinct and mothers him...now they just get into mischief together LOL

Also have to disagree I got my boy ice then when when he was 18 months the perfect husky as most would say lol. He never chewed anything we got gus who was14 months he was the dreadful but calmed down with ice there then we rehomed jasper a year later and well he had some serious issues the others learnt him wat was and wasn't right and now you wouldn't even know he had any issues he is the one that teaches the others now lol

• 5 years later...

We have a beautiful 17 month old female alusky and are considering taking in her sister that is up for rehoming due to current owners having to move...my little cutie just loves all other dogs and just loves to play all day long...does anyone have any advice or experience with raising sibling females...we would like to be as informed as possible before we make a decision...thanks!