Apparently We're Getting Another Dog

Elyse

I'm confused on the Greyhounds. They were bred to sprint, right? To race? Then why do they have such low exercise requirements?

The BC mix they are considering (it might be gone by the time I can get home to see it, though. They won't make any decisions without me) is about 3 years old, according to the shelter.

I'm suspicious of ages shelters give to their dogs though - when I adopted Suka they said he was 6 years old, turns out he was only 4! They say Reggie (the BC mix) is active, but they don't specify just 'how' active he is. I suppose when we see him I can get a better idea, and ask questions as well. 

Greyhounds are very fast twitch muscled dogs - yes they are very fast but once they have done the 500m they are tired. They are the opposite of huskies in this regard. They do not need to sprint to get exercise or be happy. As Rob said they are one of the laziest dogs around  :up:

Many people don't realise that Greyhounds are one of the ancient breeds of dogs, like huskies. Being a sight-hound they seldom have an insatiable food drive but with this ability to see a bird or cat from a very long way away, makes them pretty hopeless with recall - much like a husky  :D

Take one to a fenced in park with a husky and you will see a match made in heaven  :)

Edited by Jase

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You can get couch potato BCs like my 8yo Wollie, but he was still very active as a pup say until 2...he is a guard dog 100% and will protect me against anything but is like a lapdog too, he loves to play and cuddle! He touches nothing inside and behaves at all times and no need to crate him or even house train ;-)

Now B the brown BC pup I got last year is a different story altogether!!! He comes from a working bloodline that has won many awards... The fisrt mistake when you want a 'pet'! He is hyper, needs to be entertained 24/7 and pretty much destroys most thing (except his favourite toy = Smokey!)

They both are highly intelligent and trainable, but the one with working bloodline has that herding drive and it pretty much takes over all the time! I suppose you guys can imagine how a husky likes to be herded???? I have to get some videos of that on here!

In regards to exercising a BC that is like B you'll have a tougher job than with a husky!!!

• 4 weeks later...

So, we've been talking about getting a second dog.

There have been concerns 'fairness' in regards to Suka. My sister in law believes that Suka (now almost 10 years old) will 'age faster' and won't be happy sharing his space with a 2nd dog. He's pretty territorial and dominant, so obviously a submissive dog would be the way to go, but she still brought up a good point:

Would it be fair to Suka? I would hate for him to get jealous, stressed, etc because another dog was added to the family. He's been an only dog for the 6 years that we've had him...unsure of his history prior as he was a rescue. We are thinking maybe a young dog, perhaps one just leaving the puppyhood, might be better as maybe Suka's protective instincts might kick in? Or he would be more tolerant?

(We are considering the Golden. Its a breed that we all seem to agree on, and I think it'll work, but can't find any rescues around here!)

Thanks everyone!

If we do get another dog, we plan to introduce the two first at the shelter to see if they get along. If they do at that point, would that be a good enough sign that they will get on together? Or will things still be touch-and-go when we get to the house?

When I rescued Kodiak, I took Nikko to meet him at the foster's house.  They got along great there, but once I got home we still had some fights.  I kept Kodiak on a leash, and put all toys, treats, etc. away to prevent fights. 

Agree with the others. Once the territory comes into play, the rules change slightly. Bear and Brooke didn't have any rows and never have but they are both very passive submissive types. When we got Ice there were a lot of fights between him and Brooke. He started them all and she never retaliated. He was a little ball of fury as a pup, thankfully he chilled out mostly over the months and years. He didn't have the best start in life.