Apparently We're Getting Another Dog

Elyse

So, apparently my Dad is seriously considering getting another dog. He's the LAST person in my family I would have expected to pipe up about getting another dog. He said to me over the phone that he'd like another dog before Suka passes, because he can't imagine his life without a dog in it (this is coming from somebody who spent his whole life terrified of dogs!)

He has his heart set on the Border Collie. This concerns me.

Currently, when I'm not home for 8 months of the year, my Mom does all of the work regarding dog care. The only thing my Dad does is take care of financial matters. I think he just wants a companion in his old age; he says it calms him and relaxes him at the end of a long stressful day. He likes the unconditional love that dogs give.

I'm not sure if there are any Border collie owners on here, but I heard they can be incredibly hyper. They'll herd children, anything moving, if they don't get enough exercise. They need at least an hour of walking a day + some dog sport (agility, flyball, etc). I'm 85% sure my parents aren't up to the task of keeping it satisfied exercise wise.

I told my Dad this, and he said they might have to get a BC mix. I swear, my Dad's heart is in the right place - but sometimes he doesn't know what he's talking about. This is one of those things. 

Oddly, despite wanting a second dog for years (during which my Dad has said 'no'), I don't really want another dog now unless its a husky. I guess I have the husky bug - lol!

I suggested that, when I get home for the summer, we look at the shelter to see if anything catches his eye. He said: "I want a smart dog for a change – a dog that can do things for me as I get older." So, to me, that leaves many options: labs, golden retriever, german shepherd. Somehow, I don't think a lab or a golden retriever would appeal to them (it would be too 'normal'). 

I think I'm going to suggest the German Shepherd, but I know they are badly bred...they don't want a puppy either. 

Oh, what to do? Any suggestions or advice? 

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have heard the same thing about Border Collies, and that they are very high maintenance, almost as much, or more than huskies. 

I also wanted a GSD, and saw that you have to be very careful about picking the right one, because there are alot of GSD breeders who are just BYB, but they, like huskies, get bored easily and can be destructive, and require a lot of exercise.  They also have a tendency not to get along with other dogs.  ANY working dog is going to require regular exercise, unless they  get an older dog.  Australian Shepherds are another very smart breed too.

Honestly, I think the perfect dog for them would be a lab.  They are very obedient, and don't have to have as much exercise.

Might I recommend a bouvier? They're awesome dogs. Smart like a border collie, loyal like a GSD, but much calmer and more mature in stature than both. Originally farm dogs for herding/protecting cattle they're now used mainly for protection and police work- they're rational and calm thinkers, loyal and fearless, as well as being highly trainable.

The downfall to a bouvier is that they do require a balanced owner who will put in the proper training and socialization when it's young to avoid issues with dominance and uncertainty in new situations. They can grow to be a very powerful 120lb dog, so first time owners with a soft personalities are not recommended. They also require grooming every 3-6 wks.

Rescue a German shepherd Even when badly treated with the right care they are the most loving dogs. recall Good, Loving of the scale. But yes they require walking, activity mind and physical. Intelligent oh yes. manipulative: scarily so. And they are protective so be careful this is the part you need to work on if anything.

Any good rescue will tell you about the problems health or otherwise the dog has.

Yup Dads are a surprising breed all on their own. :P

So after scouring the web, I summarized the Lab, Golden Retriever, and GSD for him. Gave him some links to some rescues available in our area (even popped in a Border Collie mix that caught my eye.), I'll let you guys know what he says.

I'm still going to make him visit the many shelters in our area, though. Its hard to judge a dog over the internet, you need to see it in person. 

If it's a companion he's after then maybe a smaller lap dog type, Charlie is half cavalier and always sitting on one of us, he still requires exercise but he's not as strong as Solo. There are plenty of breeds out there have fun searching x

Alright, he responded via text message:

"Thank you so much for the the information on dog breeds. I'm pretty sure that just in the course of the summer you could train a new dog. The main reason is, is that now that I've had a dog around me for all these years, I find it hard to imagine a house where there is no dog when I come home! Go figure! I also like the way Suka seems to be aware of people around the house after dark, even if there is someone picking through your garbage at the curbside looking for bottles. The only problem is size as we intend to get a much smaller vehicle when the Trailblazer goes.

Anyways, thanks for all your help so far. I'll talk to you in depth when you come home"

The reason why he is concerned about the car: Suka can't be crate trained (we've tried everything, even with the help of a professional), so we carry him around in the car all the time. But when Suka passes I plan to crate train the other dog (if it isn't crate trained already) so we don't have to use the car all the time.

Do Labs or Goldens have any protective instincts? Or are they like the husky where they'll show a robber all the cool things in your house? lol :P

The problem is that both my parents don't want a puppy. They've made that pretty clear. So that means we'd have to either look into getting a dog on Kijiji (which I'm not a fan of, heard too many horror stories), or getting one at the shelter. I don't think you'd find the more 'uncommon' breeds in shelters, but if you do, they're probably mislabeled as 'shepherd mixes' or the like. 

I'm not exactly sure what he wants. To me, it sounds like he wants his cake and eat it too: he wants a loyal protective dog that will do stuff for him, yet he doesn't want a puppy nor does he want to deal with the heavy shedding that huskies have, nor does he want one that is hyperactive and needs too much exercise. Sounds like he wants the famous Wonderdog breed to me, lol!

Hidden

A breeder can still help you with this. They can find a rescue that fits your situation OR they may have a health tested adult available. If a rescue is decided on, find a local behaviorist who is willing to assist you in evaluating shelter dogs. 

• 3 weeks later...

Things are still up in the air in regards to a new dog. We're waiting until my school is done and I can go home before we make a decision (3ish weeks from now).

My Dad found an article on the Border Collie he's interested in (that got him started on this whole quest for another dog). Apparently he's a mix. Anyone know what he's mixed with? His name's Reggie. The ears make me think of a shepherd?

post-3404-0-35618200-1427674893_thumb.jp

post-3404-0-43846900-1427674895.jpg

Anyways, he still wants to see him.  :facepalm: 

Before I could adopt Suka, my Dad made me sign a 'contract' saying I had to take care of him exercise-wise and etc. Maybe I can spin it so that Dad will have to take care of Reggie in that way...we'll see. 

The shelter that Reggie is at is associated with a dog behaviourist, so maybe we can get them to evaluate Reggie to see if he fits us. 

I'll keep you guys updated...

Edited by Elyse

That is a cross Deffo not a full bc. I've had bc all my life and my mum and dad still have one now. And my older sister has one too. And imo they are really loving and love being around you, if you get an older one and he is a rescue ect then he or she will most likely be calm. We have always rescued ours from shelters ect. I wouldn't steer her away from gettin one though they are lovely natured dogs x

I would whole heartedly 100% recommend a rescue Greyhound. I have met so many due to my friend being involved heavily with them. They are super dogs, really relaxed and can play great with a Husky. 

They only need a short walk and will be a couch potato for the rest of the time , they love cuddles, don't smell, have a silky coat and are generally clowns. 

They were originally a breed I would ever consider but now they are a breed I have no trouble in recommending. I am hoping to convince my elderly parents to adopt one soon  :)

my inlaws dog is a rescue collie he drives me nuts hes always barking hes not friendly to outsiders, did i mention he barks a lot? i can hear him now! I have three dogs and my three make less noise than him!

my mum and dad have a collie, their second one. The first was a farm collie and my dad's best pal ever. When he got older I honestly thought if anything happened to Croy my dad would go too, hence my plan to get them a second dog - for mum this time - and with her full consent. We rescued a 6 month old pup and she is a great dog. they do have help with walking her as they are not as fit as they used to be but mum does still take her out every day. But she keeps them entertained and although she really enjoys long walks she is quite happy with half an hour chasing her ball on the beach. - she gets on fine with all of ours and generally just a good wee dog.

I'm confused on the Greyhounds. They were bred to sprint, right? To race? Then why do they have such low exercise requirements?

That is a cross Deffo not a full bc. I've had bc all my life and my mum and dad still have one now. And my older sister has one too. And imo they are really loving and love being around you, if you get an older one and he is a rescue ect then he or she will most likely be calm. We have always rescued ours from shelters ect. I wouldn't steer her away from gettin one though they are lovely natured dogs x

The BC mix they are considering (it might be gone by the time I can get home to see it, though. They won't make any decisions without me) is about 3 years old, according to the shelter.

I'm suspicious of ages shelters give to their dogs though - when I adopted Suka they said he was 6 years old, turns out he was only 4! They say Reggie (the BC mix) is active, but they don't specify just 'how' active he is. I suppose when we see him I can get a better idea, and ask questions as well. 
Edited by Elyse

I'm confused on the Greyhounds. They were bred to sprint, right? To race? Then why do they have such low exercise requirements?

they can be the laziest dogs around...love to sleep...