My 4 Month Old Puppy Tires Easily. Is This Normal?

Hi,

I have a 4month old sibe puppy. He easily gets tired after running for few minutes. I can also walk and run with him off leash.

After reading about Siberian huskies, I found out that walking this kind off leash is almost impossible. I'm thinking maybe he is not pure.

Is it normal for Siberian puppies to easily get tired?

Thank you.

At 4 months old u shouldn't be running him , it's not good for their joints and growth , 5 mins per month per walk so 20mins a walk atm tho you could do several walks during the day at this time

Whilst he is good offlead now ( most husky puppies are) when he grows up he won't be as reliable , best to train a recall incase he gets loose but definitely keep him on a lead

How long is he running per day? I'm honestly a bit concerned now because obviously the puppy has reached the point of exhaustion. Like Nix said above puppies that young shouldn't be running yet :( if you ever see any signs of discomfort or pain, take him to the vet ASAP

Now about off-leash. Whether or not a Husky can run off-leash does not determine their genetic make-up. If both the dog's parents are purebred then the puppy is purebred too. Simple as that. People may argue that there's "that 1%" of these dogs that can run off-leash just fine all their lives, but I strongly recommend you to clip your dog back on-leash *before anything happens*. I don't want to turn this into a nature vs nurture argument. But this is how I always view off-leash walking: it's a gamble. The prey drive may kick in at age six months, or at age two, or at age seven. Maybe never. But you will never know. The question is: the day your dog caught sight of that one fast-moving object and decided to go for a chase--ignoring your command for the first time ever--will he get hurt? If he doesn't, how close will he get to being hurt? Will he lose his life? Do you want to find out?

If you don't, clip your dog back on-leash. Your choice.

I'll echo the others in regards to the exercise. You shouldn't be exercising your puppy that much, it will lead to joint problems or early arthritis. Which is painful for both the dog and your wallet!

How long is he running per day? I'm honestly a bit concerned now because obviously the puppy has reached the point of exhaustion. Like Nix said above puppies that young shouldn't be running yet :( if you ever see any signs of discomfort or pain, take him to the vet ASAP

Now about off-leash. Whether or not a Husky can run off-leash does not determine their genetic make-up. If both the dog's parents are purebred then the puppy is purebred too. Simple as that. People may argue that there's "that 1%" of these dogs that can run off-leash just fine all their lives, but I strongly recommend you to clip your dog back on-leash *before anything happens*. I don't want to turn this into a nature vs nurture argument. But this is how I always view off-leash walking: it's a gamble. The prey drive may kick in at age six months, or at age two, or at age seven. Maybe never. But you will never know. The question is: the day your dog caught sight of that one fast-moving object and decided to go for a chase--ignoring your command for the first time ever--will he get hurt? If he doesn't, how close will he get to being hurt? Will he lose his life? Do you want to find out?

If you don't, clip your dog back on-leash. Your choice.

Good answer re: the off leash question, Olivia! Couldn't have said it better myself.

Hi,

I have a 4month old sibe puppy. He easily gets tired after running for few minutes. I can also walk and run with him off leash.

After reading about Siberian huskies, I found out that walking this kind off leash is almost impossible. I'm thinking maybe he is not pure.

Is it normal for Siberian puppies to easily get tired?

Thank you.

At four months of age your dog is still very much a puppy and puppies tire easily. Your dog won't reach physical maturity, bones, joints, and muscles, until somewhere between 18months and two years. It won't reach it's physical prime until somewhere between 3 and 4 years of age. The best thing you can probably do for the little fella is just keep to short 10-15minute walks and play sessions in the yard until he is a little older- short but frequent.

And as far as huskies go... your husky can have roots in work lines, show lines, and/or be just a common house pet. I'd guess that the average fully matured pet siberian husky will tire from around an hour of free running or 15-20minutes of mushing before needing a brake. Beyond that allot of the dogs future endurance will be split between it's roots and how physical it's lifestyle is... ether way, you won't really know what sort of husky you have until it's matured.

So to directly answer your question, yes it is normal for a 4month old husky to tire after a short time running.

Edit*

Your puppy is still in the velcro stages of life... it's entirely common for husky puppies to stay close to their handlers when off lead. However, they will eventually enter into a stage somewhere around 6-8months, maybe a little more, where they begin developing the independence that the breed if infamous for... your dog will change as it grows and matures.

It's a pity this thread has been hijacked, the original poster only asked about their pup being tired :(

This forum has a strong 'no off lead' following but of course it's everyones choice how they raise their dogs, whether husky or not.

For those offering advice against off lead, most have personal experience of what can happen when things go wrong, or know of someone in that situation.

Best of luck to those that choose to 'go off lead'.  I just hope for the dogs sake they always come back :)