Dogs Have 2 Minute Memory?

Carly

Daily Mail! That's a lot of information omission there. I wonder if they alter or cherry-pick their quotes as well honestly :huh: I'm curious why would that Johan Lind dude claim that the human memory is "so susceptible, anything seems to stick in the memory for a very long time". I don't need to pull out a scientific journal to say that's not exactly true. "Anything"?? Come on! A two-minute short-term memory is actually very, very good.

I'm not an expert, but I've just studied memory as part of my Teacher Education class. Basically we have three types of memories: sensory, short-term and long-term. Sensory memory are things we experience right here right now through our senses, and we immediately forgot. Attention brings those information to our short-term memory, which stores things for... wait for it... an average of 30 seconds. Seconds. We can extend that time by repetition (rehearsal) but unless we create a way to shove stuff into our long-term memory (entirely separate discussion), we really are forgetful creatures.

Edited by mydiamond