Just Adopted Abit Of Help Please

laurakelly08

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I didn't get into having zeus blind I did alot of Internet research and as I live a active life me and my partner and we often go beach and surf I saw a better life for him than in a home. While researching I read about crates for them but I thought not everyone in the world who owns these dogs can surely crate them so that's why I've joined this forum for more one on one help rather than reading all negative comments about these dogs also YouTube videos show huskys in a more real way than a written piece on them

Hidden

Many of the "negative" comments can come with a grain of truth. While they aren't aggressive, they can be very orally fixated. They also have a lower tolerance for poor manners, so in many cases, what may be called a bite, may be better termed a correction. They really do shed everywhere, and may or may not be trained to tolerate small pets, and off leash is really a gamble even with a well trained Sibe. A while back one forum member recalled an incident where a top level obedience dog had taken off across a street after a critter. Negative doesn't mean useless or not true.

I wouldn't put a lot of stock into many of the youtube videos I see about them. Most are pet pieces that only show a fraction of their personality and can have a lot of incorrect information. IE one video talks about how easily they mat (facepalm). 

And as always its best to throw any ideas of dominance and alpha theory out the window. Its really got no place in the standard pet home. 

We rescued Logan about a year ago. As a first time Husky owner, I did loads of research, some of which put me off.

From the beginning I really didn't fancy a crate, don't know why, just didn't. Day 1 I emptied the lounge of anything loose that he could chew that would be dangerous to him, picture frames with glass in, remote controls etc. I left him for an hour to see what happened. Turned all power off at the wall, just in case. Day 2 a couple of hours. My feeling was he was going to be a part of our family and needed to fit. Some may think I am mad, but If he chewed my sofa, I'd own a chewed sofa, if he chewed the leg of a Oak cabinet, it would have a 'rustic' look.

I guess we were lucky, he has free roam of the house now. Now he was 4 when we got him, so not pup, but had lived in a shed quite a lot. Only thing I have to watch is never leave any sweets out. He has a sweet tooth and will find them anywhere. I learnt that very quickly and Logan learnt that Polos smell sweet but taste bad and it is best to test every single one and spit them out around the house.

Nothing against crates for those that use them, as every dog is individual, but for me would have been a last choice.

As Jase said, Lola may well show Zeus the ropes anyway, distracting her when needed etc.

As for Off Lead? 1 year on, He has built so much trust with me and I think 90% of the time he'd be fine. But I would never, ever, have him off lead. Ever.

Whatever you do, sounds like you want the best, you've come to the right place for advice. So many people here to help, with vast and different experience.

as said mine are not crated and can be left alone for upto 7 hrs easy...started all with training 5 mins and increasing this every time a bit longer...

Both were rescues Bindi was first she was 1 year Alpha came  1 year later @ 1,5 where it was said in the kennels that he was a destroyer and could not be left home alone...

We do use the command " watch the house " and given a treat and when we come home we say "did you watch the house" and they get another treat... this even if we go out for 5 mins and apart from the bin being tipped twice , 1 kilo of mince meat nothing has happend in 4 years...:P

I have 2 rescues, we got Charlie as a 4 month old puppy and 2 yrs later Solo as a approx 2 yr old. We only crated Charlie for health reasons after a major op on his leg, we have never crated Solo. Our choice. To be honest Charlie is more destructive, he loves eating shoes!!!!! Though Solo has his moments. We limit access when we are out, need to protect my bear collection. Do what feels right for you and yours keeping your options open. We never let Solo off lead unless it in secure area as he has proven he won't come back when he's escaped, what works in the kitchen is out of the window in an open space lol. Welcome to the forum and the delights of being owned by a husky :).

Thanks everyone 4 all your help so nice to join a forum where people actually help and advise rather than criticise :)

if you want to be criticised that we can do as well but most of us think help and advise works a lot better and makes our forum stand well above the rest... :D

I think he can be left alone in the house once your old mature enough if they have a companion little spur each other to trouble. That is a lot of if's, however we have a nine-year-old female husky we leave alone in the house with the four-year-old female Westie. We also have a four-month-old Husky puppy. We leave him in the playpen currently, when he gets older somewhere between 1.5 and two years old, we will consider leaving them out by himself. we fed him in the playpen so he's happy to go there. He can stand over the edge and put his paws on the kitchen table, but he's just happy to be there and never try to get out. however we're now transitioning to a crate.

I can say my opinion on walking off leash: No. He might be chase something and after an hour he realized you are not there. Everyone I know having an husky told me from the day 1, never leave him off leash, never leave him near open windows, and if he stay in a garden with a fence be sure he cannot jump it or ding under it. About the crate, my dog has been never able to stay there, he would cry and cry until we don't open it.