My New Knees!

Val (Zebedee)

I was recently diagnosed with osteoarthritis in both knees after 15+ years of being told the pain was due to me having a bad back & walking differently when my back "went". Within a few months of this diagnosis, I have been referred to a consultant, booked in for surgery on both knees & had the operations! 

This made walking the dogs harder & harder as I experienced severe pain when walking mainly downhill (slopes or steps), some pain going uphill. The worst was the crunching noise on bending the knees e.g. walking downstairs and if I sat for more than 3 or 4 minutes, my knees would lock up & crack loudly on stretching  :o

I have had keyhole surgery to both joints and am in recovery now. I will be looking at full knee replacements in the future ( :yahoo: can't wait!  :P  ) but this should tide me over for a fair few years if it works.

Basically, I have had the knee joints washed out so any loose bone & debris is removed, parts of the leg bones drilled so they bleed which will make new cartilage and some of the knee cap replaced. I was up & walking within 2 hours of coming out of surgery (just as well as I was turfed out for the next patient, they needed the bed!) and am now taking my time strolling round the house & up and down the stairs (in a fashion!) getting everything moving again. This has played on my mind for a long time now so I am glad it is over with & can look forward to pain free dog walking with groups again instead of standing in the corner of the dog park & watching  :lol:

Here's some pics (not too squeamish lol)

My legs pre-op

post-143-0-46501300-1422447249.jpg

Just in case the surgeon doesn't know where my knees are

post-143-0-65972300-1422447264.jpg

Post op (and still drowsy after the general anaesthetic) - had to leave these compression bandages on for 2 days

post-143-0-70198400-1422447278.jpg

And now - got to leave these plastic dressings on for 10 days

post-143-0-25499100-1422447286.jpg

Apparently I will be forever numb at the keyhole sites but that's fine by me, I won't feel the dogs smacking me with their skulls when they play right in front of me any more  :rofl:

you are much braver than I.  Here's to a speedy recovery and a successful recovery.

Been the docs this morning as Lefty decided to have a little weep last night, so I bandaged it up for compression & went to docs. They said there doesn't look to be infection as although swollen at the site of the incision, the surrounding tissue is not red or inflamed, so hopefully I haven't got anything nasty in it. I just need to rest it a bit more & have been signed off work for 2 weeks.

Problem now is, it's my knees that won't work so getting around is awkward, but the mind is active & I'm getting bored quickly! I can't go out on my own so what to do stuck in here???  :P

Read and read and read. I love to read.  But I understand you frustration. 

I have no ligaments that work  or tendons in my ankle.(spent sometime immobilised when I was about eight, hung my self up side down by my legs from the nursery bar windows twisted knee both sides blood to head, had a thing about this nearly broke my neck couple of years later hanging upside down from a tree.

So nearly fifty I worry to about the woof walk. When I had my knee taken out by Bella last year it was so painful but I kept walking. Now I am no doctor but My Nanny (great Grandmother)  always said carry on in the face of adversity she lived to over 90.  So I flop flop walk. and stand tall to take the weight of my feet. I mean use you tummy muscles as load bearing. But as with everything docs advice is best.  Bit of a disjointed answer but will power and belief will get you on your feet again. X

p.s this really helps tell your mind you can do it.  I have in my lower back a dip you can put your thumb in that cuts of my legs and employing my mind to stand tall has elevated this.  I used to do archery but gave up after I could not walk to my car. but I am going to start up again with the old long bow again. :-)