What Do You Do With Your Dogs When You Go Away?

SnowDogLove

I am planning a trip to Myrtle Beach (about 13 hours away from home) for an entire week! The worst part that worries me is what am I going to do with my dogs when I leave? What do you do with yours when you leave for a long trip?  :unsure:

I will also add that many of my family and friends are coming along with me...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not been able to take a trip since getting my dogs lol.

I have a friend that will stop in for a couple hours a day, and they have spent the night when I was gone for a day, but if it were for a week, I would have to board them, which can get expensive.  It would either be that or take them with me.

Mine would not be able to come with me. There's just no way. Not even pet-friendly places let you bring 5 dogs with you. I thought about looking into boarding, but I'm sure it is going to be awfully expensive! I'd probably save myself money if I just paid someone to come to my house and do it!  <_<

Yeah, with 5 dogs it would be difficult to board all of them, even with my 3 it is way too expensive.  I passed up a trip to Key West last year because I could not afford the nearly $100 a day it would cost.

I would start searching pet sitters that will come to the house maybe.  I pretty much accepted the fact that I won't be going on any long vacations for the next 12-15 years :(

The boarding place I found near me would be about $70/day for the 5 of them, but they would have to be boarded for practically 9 days so it's just too expensive that way. I trust some of my relatives to take care of them, I just don't know which ones will be coming with us just yet.

Don't you have any family members that would help you out, Jay? That seems pretty extreme that you wouldn't be able to go on vacation ever! Pet sitting is something I might look into, but I think it would probably end up being the same story - too expensive.

I either take mine with me or have one of my three kids look after them.  I could and would not leave them with strangers or someone who doesn't know the breed.  

When I had an accident last year my kids had to leave the dogs at home (it was a 6 hour round trip to get to the hospital) they organised some friends to come in to walk the dogs.  I remember not feeling very happy :(

The only thing I could suggest is have someone come and stay, obviously pay them.  Get them to meet the dogs, learn your routine that sort of thing. :)

I think I would try finding a pet sitter, and do short trials with them to make sure it goes smoothly. I would set up a web cam in the yard and maybe in the dog's area if there is one, and let the person know that.

With one dog, I think I will probably try to find both a boarding place that would be a last minute option, and ultimately a pet sitter that will stay at my house while I am gone. I am a bit weirded out by people being in my house, but she'd be much happier at home.

ETA - I agree with Clare, make sure the individual has experience with huskies. I'd want to make sure the person understood that huskies run away! 

Edited by Chula

I don't have anyone that would be able to pretty much stay at my house and take care of them day and night, plus Yukon requires medication and has seizures, so I would be nervous leaving him anyway.

The boarding place I found near me would be about $70/day for the 5 of them, but they would have to be boarded for practically 9 days so it's just too expensive that way. I trust some of my relatives to take care of them, I just don't know which ones will be coming with us just yet.

Don't you have any family members that would help you out, Jay? That seems pretty extreme that you wouldn't be able to go on vacation ever! Pet sitting is something I might look into, but I think it would probably end up being the same story - too expensive.

I don't have anyone that would be able to pretty much stay at my house and take care of them day and night, plus Yukon requires medication and has seizures, so I would be nervous leaving him anyway.

Oh yes, that's true, I forgot about that. I actually wouldn't mind if they didn't STAY at my house just as long as they stopped by frequently enough to take care of them.

I either take mine with me or have one of my three kids look after them.  I could and would not leave them with strangers or someone who doesn't know the breed.  

When I had an accident last year my kids had to leave the dogs at home (it was a 6 hour round trip to get to the hospital) they organised some friends to come in to walk the dogs.  I remember not feeling very happy :(

The only thing I could suggest is have someone come and stay, obviously pay them.  Get them to meet the dogs, learn your routine that sort of thing. :)

Definitely intending to pay someone! Lord knows 5 dogs is not something that NORMAL people have in their house.  :lol: 

I think I would try finding a pet sitter, and do short trials with them to make sure it goes smoothly. I would set up a web cam in the yard and maybe in the dog's area if there is one, and let the person know that.

With one dog, I think I will probably try to find both a boarding place that would be a last minute option, and ultimately a pet sitter that will stay at my house while I am gone. I am a bit weirded out by people being in my house, but she'd be much happier at home.

ETA - I agree with Clare, make sure the individual has experience with huskies. I'd want to make sure the person understood that huskies run away! 

My fiance is not comfortable with having strangers in our house so I don't think a pet sitter would work out very well.  :( 

Mine go to the most amazing kennels known to man....it's like spa for dogs and costs about as much too lol, but I'd rather put them there knowing they are cared for by people who love dogs and treat them like their own, knowing they are happy is what counts so I'd pay whatever the cost....for example it's costing just under £600 to put mine in during our wedding and honeymoon in September

I have heard of people here who take dogs into their home, it's like a kennel but in a home environment, the only reason I don't do that is that I am always aware that these aren't like ordinary dogs and if you don't know the breed it can be a shock, as it was for all of us in the beginning lol, but if you know people who you trust and think would be ok with your babies then why not give it a go?

Usually leave mine with our son but couldn't at weekend so boarded them. I did research and phoned different places and paid a visit. The one I chose was clean and dogs were happy they also own 6 malamutes so know sled dogs.it cost £52 for them both from Friday to Sunday, we provided food (they will but wanted them to have own), we also took their bowls and beds so it smelt of home, they also had extra heating for charlie. It's not cheap, cost as much as our hotel but there was no choice and the boys were happy and settled when we got them.

I have a few friends who love dogs but don't have their own at the moment. I normally ask them to pet/house sit. They have the dog, two fish tanks and two rats to look after. My friends love walking Shadow and think she's an awesome dog. I'm very lucky with my friends at the moment. The only issue my friend had with her when I was gone for two weeks was the shedding. She blew her coat while I was gone. I got back to a very white carpet (it's normally pink-ish) and a dog with big chunks of fur coming out. He said he was grooming her every day and it just wasn't helping. I laughed when he told me.

The last time I went away Shadow had to come with me and the rats. They were not happy. We had two tired humans. A tired and stressed out dog and two stressed out rats. We had to take the train, 5 hours later we made it to my mums place.

Jay/SnowDogLove,

You should try to find someone who lives nearby (in the same state possibly?) who has a large number of huskies who could do a dog-sitting swap.

I could probably figure something out but I dont have any need or desire to leave town for an extended time. I live with someone so if I had to go by myself I would be able to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk