Canine Obesity.

Emma

• 2 months later...

Interesting but I think they left one serious issue out: the use of grain products in almost all commercial pet foods.

I knew nothing of that problem until I started researching diets for Sarah. I came across a study in a veterinary journal about the issue and started looking into it seriously. At that point my daughter's cat was quite obese and the vets couldn't figure out why. No medical reason for it at all, and the cat definitely wasn't overfed.

I decided to try an experiment. I changed the cat to a grain-free cat food and within 8 months the cat was down to a normal weight with no other intervention.

My son-in-law's dog, an 8 year old shepherd mix, came to stay with us while SIL was in basic training. His dog was also seriously obese, weighing in at 140lbs, and I talked my daughter into changing to a grain-free food. In the 12 weeks SIL was away, his dog lost over 25 lbs with no other changes. They kept with the diet and he lost over 60 lbs, down to a normal weight for his size. Unfortunately, the years of obesity damaged his heart and two years later he died of congestive heart failure despite his weight loss later in life.

Sarah herself gained a mere 3 lbs after spaying, which is an oft-used excuse for obesity in female dogs. And those three pounds could very well be due to completing her maturation as she hadn't yet spread in the chest area, and unrelated to the spaying. I credit it to a grain-free diet.

This is the one argument I have with my much-loved veterinarian. He doesn't think that grains cause obesity despite the two experiments I performed on animals in my own care. One day he'll come around. ;)