How Cold Is Too Cold?

Mekasdad

Meka LOVES being outside in the snow, absolutely loves it. But sometimes I worry that it is too cold for her. Today it was in the negatives with the windchill and she still wanted to stay outside and play. I know that Huskies are meant for the cold temperatures but how cold is too cold exactly?

I don't know how cold is too cold, but my two would stay out for hours given the chance. We have had a lot of snow recently on and off and the girls absolutely love being out in it, I bring them in when I think they've had enough, they aren't always impressed at coming in though I can tell you lol

Working Huskies will happily bury themselves in the snow and sleep.

I wouldn't worry about their ability to withstand the cold.

The Arctic and Antarctic both reach -30 C, and huskies were (might still be?) used as transportation, and then left outside (even during the night) to sleep, and they were all fine. I wouldn't worry about it. Their coat is so good at insulating and keeping them warm, snow doesn't melt when it falls on their coat.

When its that cold, though, you have to be careful to not get wet (applies to people as well)....because a wet double-coat will work against them.

Edited by Elyse

My only concern would for a puppy that has yet to develop the full double coat of an adult.

I personally never worry about the cold- just the heat.

In and around -20C is likely my dogs ideal temperature- I've caught her sleeping out in it more than once. After it starts getting colder then -20C she'll start increasing her active level. Once it's around -40 she stops lingering in the yard and prefers the house.... unless she gets to go somewhere...We've never experienced much beyond those temperatures.

The dogs assimilation to its climate is really going to have a HUGE impact. If you take a husky from a southern location and throw it up north, it will get hypothermia, just as it would suffer heat stroke given the reverse.

*Edit

I remember watching a documentary on sled dogs. -50C and the dogs were all curled up in the snow and sleeping for the night. There was a 7-8month old pup who was chasing the sled with them. He sometimes shivered during the night but always woke up the next morning and warmed up once they started running. The adult dogs themselves didn't seem to care. They were all snow encrusted with ice hanging from their faces.

Interesting note- the dogs were fed frozen walrus (or animal of that nature) and had to eat snow to get their water. If you and me tried doing that our core temperatures would drop to quickly for us to sustain much below 0.

Skye was out a few weeks ago and it was FREEZING !! She tried to disguise herself in the snow so she wouldn't have to come in I think lol,had to chase her back in the house cause there was no moving her haha.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

It's been between -25C and -35C this past week... last night I got all bundled up and went to lay out in the snow with Dakota. It was so relaxing I ended up dozing off and didn't wake up until 2am- by then it was -33C. What was Dakota doing? Sleeping not five feet away from me with a blanket of snow covering her from head to toe.

Wish someone was around to snap a photo of us... there are plenty of huskies sleeping out in the snow but how about huskies and their owners together? :lolman: