Bi And Parti Eyes

bemba

I'm just wondering if anyone with bi or parti eyed dogs would be willing to share pics of them as puppies and of them as adults, also any with the flash used would be a bonus, if you know what colour eyes their parents had also would be a huge help. I'm trying to figure out the mode of inheritance for these traits. Thankyou :)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey David! How old is your dog? Mine has blue eyes, but I've been here long enough to regurgitate other people's stories :shrug: anyway, if you got a young pup, don't keep your hopes up. Changes are common and frequent. Some bi or parti-eyed puppies turn into "just" blue or brown-eyed. Sometimes they keep their color.  Looking at the parents may help, but not always. Remember that those parents also carry the genes of the grandparents which you may or may not be able to visit. Either ways, eye color doesn't dictate anything in a dog so don't worry xx

Hi David 

Welcome to the forum  :hello:

What part of Oz are you from? Also is this for academic research or are you an owner just looking for information ? :)  There is no problem if it is for either, I know some Bi eyed huskies locally, but haven't checked close enough for parti 

My pup is only 3 weeks old and is a Husky cross (still with the mother of course) dad has ice blue eyes. One eye is much lighter and has a really strong rep pupil glow in certain light. The other eye has light areas but is mainly the darker muddy navy blue, but that eye also has a pink shine in certain light but not nearly as bright as the other eye. Either way it doesn't matter of course just very curious about anyone's stories about their puppies changing colour etc. I've always been very interested in genetics anyway :) PS I'm from Queensland, Sunshine Coast.

With a cross the possibilities are even crazier. The thing is I honestly wonder myself how much genetics have to do with a Husky's eye color because if you get a bi-eyed, chances are you'll see those colors changing a lot. If you have a bi-eyed that later turned into a regular brown-eyed, does that mean the brown eyes allele is more dominant? But if so, then how did the pup born bi-eyed? :huh:

Anyways. I heard that every young puppies have blue eyes. They will gradually change and settle into their 'adult colors' later on.

Hi there and welcome to the forum.  :wave:       You'll be surprised how much the eye colour can change in the first few weeks before gradually turning into the colour they'll be in adulthood.   Will be interesting to see how they develop.  :)

Thanks for the welcome and the replies :) Blaze is really striking! Is eye does seem very light even at 3 weeks old doesn't it! Hva eyou got any more pics of him that young that might show the eyes more? I'm trying to upload pics of my boy but it's not working LOL.

Thanks for the welcome and the replies :) Blaze is really striking! Is eye does seem very light even at 3 weeks old doesn't it! Hva eyou got any more pics of him that young that might show the eyes more? I'm trying to upload pics of my boy but it's not working LOL.

I haven't sorry that's the only one , he was the only pup in the litter to have bi-eyes too so I can't get any of the other pup's pics either

5 posts u need before u can post links due to our spam filter :-)

I got both of my huskies as adults and they both have brown eyes, so I'm not much help. I did have a husky pup when I was younger though and he was born with bright blue eyes that turned dark grey as he got older. I'm sure you'll get some more helpful answers around here though. Welcome to the forum!

Hello David Welcome to the forum.

In the first pic Noah is about 16 weeks, second is him now.  Howler has 2 different eyes one is very dark brown and the other is getting lighter in the middle and darker to the outside.  I can never seem to get a clear pic of his eyes, but the lighter part is a light shade of green. Howler was about 14 weeks in this photo, he is now 20 weeks old.

post-12200-0-56571800-1422082129_thumb.j

post-12200-0-73815100-1422082625_thumb.j

post-12200-0-78717400-1422082729_thumb.j

Thanks for all the replies and welcomes :) Wow Kati, he's very handsome! ....is that a little bit of blue near his pupil in the brown eye I see? My pups eyes look very similar with the flash, one pupil is much redder with the flash and the iris is clearly lighter in that eye, and the other eye has a red eye shine but it's duller in the pupil and the iris is darker with some tiny electric blue squiggles in it. He is only 3 weeks old well actually 19 days old :D So I wonder if they'll change even more? I thought maybe they'll both be blue but if they were you'd think both would be the same shade. I want to upload some pictures but photo bucket is not working for me?

There is an anti spam filter in place that prevents links until 5 posts.  That could be interfering with you trying to uplaod from photobucket?  If it is the filter that's causing the problems you should be ok once you hit 5 posts.  :)

Here he is 19 days old :) What do you guys think about his eyes?

The lighting's not very bright... am I looking at two blue eyes there? Dark, royal blue like that often fades later on into a baby blue with a navy-colored rim.

I'm afraid I got all of my dogs as rescues, Harry was 18 months old and has orange brown eyes, they are georgeous!

Snowy is a GSD x husky and we got him at 4.5 months old, his eyes haven't changed and are a deep brown colour.

One day I'd luck a husky with blue eyes, watch this space ;)

I too love genetics, it is so fascinating! My girl Cara is the only one of my dogs (so far) that has anything but two of the same colored eyes. She has one brown eye and one mostly brown parti-eye. The blue in her parti-eye practically looks white nowadays though. These are the only pictures I could come up with that showcase her eyes. The first two are from the breeder when she was either 3 or 4 weeks old and 6 weeks old (the breeder used natural lighting for her pictures so there is no flash to make it more obvious). The last photo is her at about 9-10 months old (I used a flash but aslo a red-eye correcter on this photo a long time ago when I took it). In the first picture I wouldn't even have guessed she had a part-eye coming. But then at 6 weeks you can see it just a tiny bit. And now it's pretty obvious.

post-11270-0-06322100-1422294502_thumb.jpost-11270-0-10013800-1422294516_thumb.jpost-11270-0-49844900-1422294547_thumb.j

Archived