Dandruff????

Our Sasha has started shedding her coat. As we are clearing out the loose fur we have noticed a lot of little white bits that are clinging to the fur. It looks remarkably like dandruff. Has anyone ever encountered anything like this with their husky or know what it is.

Gary.

Hi Gary,

You no doubt have more husky experience than I, so please forgive me if I discuss things that you are familiar with :)

Yeah, Ronin had this as a wee puppy, I thought that it may have been caused by the grains in the food the breeder recommended at the time (interestingly she no longer recommends this food)

Dandruff is a difficult one to pinpoint the cause. I have some thoughts for consideration;

Sometimes this can simply be a changing of weather and just getting a bit dry, just like us hoomans.

I don't know your bathing routine but too much can certainly cause dandruff 

Oatmeal shampoo like Emma suggested can be good, but many (most) contain sulphates which can make itchy skin or dandruff worse. Most dog conditioners contain silicon which is also very crappy. Check your shampoo.

EDIT : I see Emma actually said Oatmeal - not Oatmeal shampoo... I have heard this is good, but very messy as Emma says 

So without going into pages of causes I have a few things that I recommend for external use.

1. Shampoo, switch to Calendula tea as if it is an irritation this will help - it really does work  ;)

2. You can make a skin conditioner, by mixing a dessert spoon of coconut oil in a litre of warm water, and shake the crap out of it to partially mix it. Put in a bottle with a squeeze nozzle and then squeeze it through the undercoat and massage in. Then use some towels to wipe the guard hairs. 

3. Anecdotally I have been told that rinsing in diluted white vinegar gets rid of flakes 

4. Brushing with a soft brush will not only remove the flakes but encourage good circulation, spreading of natural oils and self repair.

and these Internally, which where I believe almost all skin conditions spring from;

Probiotics, a good doggy one will be much stronger that yoghurt - some recent studies indicates that the bacterial strains common in human grade may not survive the acidic environment of a dogs gut. Raw green tripe is a great source of probiotics.

Half a teaspoon of Turmeric mixed with a dessert spoon of coconut oil gives a double whammy of goodness that is wonderful for the skin and coat. Skip the turmeric if you like, but it is a powerful anti-inflamatory and helps circulation and clean the blood.

Please let me know if you want any further info or clarification on what I have suggested.

Edited by Jase

Zoya had dandruff when she was very young, like puppy young. We gave her an Omega oil supplement, which took several months to effectively rid her of the dandruff. Not sure what the cause was, and it could be coincidence that the dandruff went away. She is no longer on the supplement and the dandruff has not returned.

I can recommend the Dyson dog groom tool to speed up blowout moult...but about every three days - you can get an attachment adaptor to fit other vacuums.

Never had to bath mine - they get wiped down, re mud, left to dry then brushed off on legs and feet - large not too hard nail brush! - and coat vacuumed through. If you can find a coconut oil based shampoo this helps to condition.

I use LOC (Trade Mark) mpc liquid organic cleaner multi purpose cleaner from Amway (Trade Name) - so gentle and a brilliant all round cleaner in the home (diluted!!)

Not toxic & environmentally sensitive too - been around 52 years & still going strong globally - it was the first ever product....

Safe enough to wash in for us and as a shampoo too!

Best and only one I used for my Westies...such silky beautiful coats - even my vet was impressed!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Hi! All of these look like great alternatives if your dog has dandruff but before making any big changes make sure that it is actually dandruff. I thought my dog had dandruff but it turns out that once Mayka had more fur it took more rinsing to take off the shampoo. I started seeing white flakes on her fur but nothing directly on her skin. Adding oils or more fatty shampoos might have caused other problems especially in here at home (with hot climates). Now I just need to take an extra 15 minutes to make sure there are no shampoo leftovers. Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I am putting cod liver oil in her food to see if that helps but I'm not going to do anything drastic until she's been checked out by the vet. It's not causing her any discomfort, i.e no scratching. They are all due for their annual check ups and boosters in the next few weeks and............I've located my vet again, so as soon as she is settled into her new practice I'll be taking the mob to see her.

Gary.

Edited by Keeonah

If anyone's interested - look up LOC multi purpose cleaner by Amway.

It's even gentle enough for us to wash in...I have when i ran out of shower stuff and shampoo [?] & knew it was nontoxic if accidentally swallowed; with coconut oil in it, it is really gentle and rinses out beautifully.

I was impressed.

I used it for years on my Westies even with sensitive skin as it doesn't exacerbate dry skin issues. Left their coats so shiney and silky-soft.

This might be a good alternative as it really rinses with no residue -

incl. on floors and tiles; dries with no streaks - however very important to use as per instructions - very concentrated!

One of my customers used 1L over a whole year for her shop floor which was long and quite wide. She also used it at home!

& The Body Series hand soap 3:1 is really good as you know there is no residue and again no wax derivatives / fillers like some [Dove] - trying one after the other - there is no comparison.

Body Series hand soap is also good for eczema - cleared up my step father-in-law's after years of creams & prescriptions and also switching to the SA8 laundry powder clinched it - he's symptom free now.

It flares up only if my mum-in-law runs out and uses another detergent and/-or hand soap for shower.

She orders regularly.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone's interested - look up LOC multi purpose cleaner by Amway.

It's even gentle enough for us to wash in...I have when i ran out of shower stuff and shampoo [?] & knew it was nontoxic if accidentally swallowed; with coconut oil in it, it is really gentle and rinses out beautifully.

I was impressed.

I used it for years on my Westies even with sensitive skin as it doesn't exacerbate dry skin issues. Left their coats so shiney and silky-soft.

This might be a good alternative as it really rinses with no residue -

incl. on floors and tiles; dries with no streaks - however very important to use as per instructions - very concentrated!

One of my customers used 1L over a whole year for her shop floor which was long and quite wide. She also used it at home!

& The Body Series hand soap 3:1 is really good as you know there is no residue and again no wax derivatives / fillers like some [Dove] - trying one after the other - there is no comparison.

Body Series hand soap is also good for eczema - cleared up my step father-in-law's after years of creams & prescriptions and also switching to the SA8 laundry powder clinched it - he's symptom free now.

It flares up only if my mum-in-law runs out and uses another detergent and/-or hand soap for shower.

She orders regularly.

So I did some research as well. Just would like to confirm.

Is this the on you are talking about http://www.amway.ca/Shop/Product/Product.aspx?itemNo=E0001'> http://www.amway.ca/Shop/Product/Product.aspx?itemNo=E0001