100 Years Of Breed "improvements"

SnowDogLove

I found this article to be an interesting read. I am also happy to see that the Siberian Husky did not make it into this article; however I do not know whether our breed has changed from that of the earliest Huskies, either. I really do wish there was something that could be done for breeds that are riddled with health issues, like the English Bulldog.  :mellow: 

https://dogbehaviorscience.wordpress.com/2012/09/29/100-years-of-breed-improvement/

Owning a GSD I am aware of the issues this has had with people/breeders trying to create their idea of the perfect specimen.  Its a subject that makes me really cross.. Luckily my GSD's have not had the probs with the Hips.. Sydney my GSD (RIP) looked like the early photo of the GSD. 

I think there is a thread on this subject in ref to Huskies already which was very interesting as well.   From memory it is more historical than focused on health issues, but talks about show huskies etc.   I will try to look for it.

I would like to think that we could now breed these defects out of the affected breeds and would personally be in favour of this type of breeding program being put in place.

Yes, please! I think that would be an interesting read as well!

And I agree, I think there are plenty of ways to breed out these genetic issues, people just choose not to. I think it should also be considered by the recognized Kennel Clubs to step in for the sake of the dogs, because they are the ones writing the "standard" of how these dogs should appear.

I'm glad that you've never had any hip problems with your GSD's!  :) 

Thanks for the link Kati! After looking at the article, I think I actually did read that before. It's a shame that they are beginning to lose their original function, but I am glad that we aren't at least adding genetic issues into the mix as well.

Siberians have a real problem with genetic bottlenecking. When the Siberian Stud Book was opened by the AKC in the 1930s only a dozen or so dogs were listed.