Is It Okay For A Puppy To Sleep Outside?

Kasper

I would not let a puppy sleep outside unattended.  Mine slept in their crate as puppies so I knew they were safe.  A pup under 5-6 months of age will need to be let out throughout the night to potty, and they can get into a lot of things that could hurt them, so it would be best to be able to keep an eye on them. 

While my dog is mostly outside, the first... 5 months or so he was inside every night for his own safety and my own peace of mind because at such a young age they can get into things that are possibly quite dangerous. 

Even when he moved to outside, he was locked in his kennel area each night so he wouldn't get up to mischief and it's only recently (past 2 months or so) where I trust him not to destroy things outside if he's left out there on the night.

Bottom line, he's still a puppy so he's more dependant on you. If you do make the shift from inside to outside make sure it's not suddenly where he's not allowed inside the house. (We have it so, our dog can come in and out of our home during the day as he pleases)

There are several reasons why I don't like letting the dog sleep outside:

1) It's just dangerous. I don't know where you live, but we keep hearing dog theft and dog-napping stories from around the UK. Unfortunately, Huskies and Mals are often a targeted breed.

2) Puppies go through what we call a 'hoover stage' when they will eat (and swallow, sometimes) anything that fits in their jaws. Intestinal blockage is a painful, expensive problem you really don't want to deal with :(

3) Again, I don't know where you live, but it's getting very very cold here in Midwest US. Puppies haven't fully developed their double coat yet, so I'd want him inside. The same goes if it's hot where you live, like how it is around the southern hemisphere nowadays.

4) Back in my home country, people throw poisoned food to dogs all the time. In other countries, bored teens throw non-poisonous, still-hazardous stuff such as rocks (!!) to dogs behind the fence. This is why I only let the dog outside without supervision when I'm awake.

What about a crate or a puppy pen instead?

Aw he looks like a plushie :D if you need potty training tips just shout out xx

I have tried to stay with him when he drinks water or eats and wait for him to pee or poo on the grass. But he pees a lot! I read you shouldn't scold him for peeing where he shouldn't, but reward him when he pees where he should.

If you catch him in the act a loud NO and immediately go outside. If he's already done the deed them just take him outside. Lots of praise when he does go outside

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Agree with all. I'm fortunate to have big back garden (well mud run at mo) with MoD fencing and 6' panels on either side with v nice dog training owning neighbour on one side and a one rescue dog family owners on the other.

I also have solid locked 6' high double gates which are visible to all my army neighbours opposite - a few of whom I've met so they know me!

We have a security camera on high pole at entrance into this site as it's part Army quarters and I do feel safer.

Many folk here also have their own pets too.

My two have 24/7 access and I can close flap if required and or allow access only into kitchen if it's really wet! I've found an old towel just inside really dries their feet pretty good so I to rotate three of these as needed, via the wash and drier with bedding as necessary.

Never had accidents - they were either in a puppy pen and as soon as they could clamber through flap they were outside to pee - real fast learners too as they had mum to clean up (or me) around to push them through that flap the minute they went to squat!

I swear it took less than two days and we had a clean bungalow!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk