Paw Hair

Keeonah

I have heard that you are supposed to keep the hair on the paws trimmed back but haven't had anything to support this statement can anyone enlighten me as to what the correct procedure is. Should it be trimmed back or left? This is one of Eclipses' paws at the moment.

post-9015-0-24106600-1420325059_thumb.jp

Gary.

Thanks, you've just confirmed what I thought but, the comment was made because, allegedly, they can suffer with ingrown hair, similar to an ingrown toenail.  I personally, have never heard of this but it was made to quite a number of people to make them aware. ?????

Gary.

Now would they get them trimmed in the wild? No :)

Yeah, but do huskies typically live in the wild?  :rolleyes:

What I know is that people trim the paws usually to prevent them from sliding all over the floor, which can happen if the fur gets too long. I believe trimming can also prevent the snow from getting stuck in the fur on their paws (which can be rather painful).

Ronin's paws are very furry plus I have floorboards and he has no problem negotiating the furniture when zoomies kick in, so I don't see myself ever trimming them. :)

I would have thought ingrowing hairs would be more likely to happen on trimmed fur than on natural, so I am a little confused about that previous reason given - dunno though :)

I called our first Husky "Harry Toes". I'd say, "Come Harry Toes, let's go outside." We used to trim them but not very often. Eisa has furry feet. Zoya does not. Someone told me that show dogs are kept trimmed. Same person also told me, and I don't know if it's true, that furry feet muffle the sound when they are running after prey.

Huskies in the Heartland

I guess it depends on the dog. Trimming  paw hair can be useful because the snow can stick on the paws. Yoko, who is very fluffy, needs to stop running and she licks her paws because the snow get stuck on her hair if we don't keep it trimmed :/. 

I have heard that you are supposed to keep the hair on the paws trimmed back but haven't had anything to support this statement can anyone enlighten me as to what the correct procedure is. Should it be trimmed back or left? This is one of Eclipses' paws at the moment.

I try to keep the pad hair on Sarah trimmed for a couple of reasons. Mostly it makes trimming her nails without hitting the quick much, much easier. It also helps her keep her footing on our new hardwood floor. It's been a year and you'd think she'd have figured out how to navigate the floor without sliding head-first into every piece of furniture and cabinetry by now but no. Trimming the pad fur also helps me keep a close eye out for any weed seeds/stickers that she's picked up outside.

That said, it's not a necessary grooming activity for every Sibe. I think it's a matter of personal preference and invididual circumstance.

• 6 years later...
On 1/3/2015 at 6:54 PM, BlueWolf said:

Yeah, but do huskies typically live in the wild?  :rolleyes:

What I know is that people trim the paws usually to prevent them from sliding all over the floor, which can happen if the fur gets too long. I believe trimming can also prevent the snow from getting stuck in the fur on their paws (which can be rather painful).

Exactly! The snow can turn into ice-like around the paws and be painful. My husky also like tug of war so we trim it so he has a better grip and doesn’t hurt himself sliding on the floor. He now wears PAWS puppy shoes when we go outside which really helps keep the paw pads soft and prevents them from cracking. Trimming your puppies paw fur is not wrong but it’s a personal choice. 

• 4 weeks later...

My vet told us that we can trim it in the spring/summer when we told him she just slides on the bare wood floor, because she tends to run into things because she can’t stop when chasing her toys.  However, he suggested we don’t trim in the winter, because it helps insulate her pads.  He did also  say however, if we notice she is picking up ice melt, even if it’s the “safe” kind, in the hair, we might also trim then.  He says this is because all K9’s tend to bite the ice out of the hair on their paws because it irritates the pads.  So if that’s the case, then they would likely ingest the ice melt as well.