Zoya Injured

Mazz

Oh no, poor Zoya, this is just like Kira's injury only it looks much worse, as Zoya is holding her paw in the air all the time. Worst part is when you see she wants to run and play but you just can't let her :(

Are you giving her any painkillers, or maybe some meds that are supposed to protect and improve joint movement? If it's ruptured it won't do much help, but can't hurt and will relieve her pain a bit.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have used a bath towel slung under her tummy to support her, but she simply drops to the floor and lays down. She has always been skittish when we attempt to assist her. She is a big tomboy when she is on her terms, but a big chicken when she is on other's terms. So we have to be patient with her. She is touching her right rear paw to the ground at times, especially when she stops and stands. I don't believe, however, that she is putting any weight on that leg. She gets Rimadyl to help with joint pain once a day, first thing in the morning.

I appreciate everyone's response on this thread. As you all love your furbabies, so I love Zoya. She is our little baby girl and it is so painful to see her suffering with this injury. I am so looking forward to the 17th, to see what our next step will be.

Huskies in the Heartland

According to their page Rymadyl is for reducing joint pain and inflammation so it should be helping her with pain.

I'm treating Kira with Cosequin and she's reacting very nicely so far to it.

The synovial fluid of the joints is composed mainly of Hyaluronic Acid. This molecule gives its lubricating properties, providing flexibility to the joints. In some joint problems synovial fluid quality may be affected by decreasing the concentration of hyaluronic acid and losing flexibility and joint movement.

COSEQUIN TASTE HA is a dietary supplement recommended for dogs with joint problems.

http://www.bioiberica.com/Health_solutions/Joint_Health/Cosequin_HA/Pets.html

And I've been recommended these but haven't tried them yet

http://www.dorwest.com/Products/GC/glucosamine-and-chondroitin-tablets-for-dogs

These are ideal to give to all aged dogs, especially dogs following injury or damage as it enhances the body’s ability to manufacture collagen and proteoglycans, essential for rebuilding joint cartilage and increasing synovial fluid to lubricate the joints.  These can be given alongside other conventional medicines and will be a good idea to give indefinitely. 

And these

http://www.dorwest.com/Products/SYM15C/symphytum-15c-100-pillules

this remedy is used during the period following damage through strains and sprains and helps to support ligaments and tendons

Look it up, maybe you'll recognize Zoya's symptoms in these descriptions and who knows maybe she'll react positively to this treatment. These are all food supplements so they are a very low risk high reward meds (at least that's how i see 'em)

..bummer the towel lifting doesn't work but I can imagine Ronin would be the same.

One further thing, after having a chat with my friend who is heavily involved in greyhounds and racing. This is a sort of 'bush remedy' they often use - although I appreciate Zoya's condition is much more serious. For swellings and aches and pains they will get a cloth or bandage and soak it in malt vinegar and then wrap it around the area. It is said to reduce swelling and inflammation. I can't vouch for its efficacy but they swear by it. I would imagine the smell and taste would deter Zoya from pulling it off. Probably leave it on for 15 minutes at a time. Either way I don't think this would have any contraindications with anything you and the vet are currently doing.