Zoya Injured

Mazz

Today, my baby girl Zoya, injured her right rear leg. Got her to the vet. He did an exam, took x-Rays to check for fracture, and his diagnosis is a cruciate ligament rupture. Not good. So he recommended ten days of an anti-inflammatory, then if marginal or no improvement, he recommended surgery. She was out in the back yard running at full speed when she slipped on the frosty ground and that was it. My poor baby.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keeping everything crossed for Zoyas speedy recovery.

Hugs for the dawg from the Rickard pack

Well Zoya has been resting tonight. I have taken her out on a lead a few times. She is such a fussy potty kind of girl, and it is bitter cold outside. Told my wife my place on this earth is to be a dog taker outer.

Zoya seems to be pain free while laying down. Getting up is a bit dicey, however. So I've been assisting her. Once up, she keeps her right rear leg completely lifted. That usually indicates a full rupture of the cruciate ligament, but not always. I guess we will hope for the best, but expect the worst.

Eisa senses that Zoya is not herself. Rohn, on the other hand, still wants to nip her tail. So we are keeping Rohn and Zoya separated for now.

Been doing a lot of research on the Web tonight. There is so much conflicting information, a lot of mis-information, and a tremendous amount of opinion. Our vet is someone I trust. He always explains options, and gives me a good sense of what the causes and issues are. So I am going to dump all the research I did tonight, and follow the recommendations from our vet. He is not only knowledgable, but he is compassionate towards our dogs. We think the world of him.

Tomorrow is a new day. So we'll see how Zoya is in the morning.

Been doing a lot of research on the Web tonight. There is so much conflicting information, a lot of mis-information, and a tremendous amount of opinion. Our vet is someone I trust. He always explains options, and gives me a good sense of what the causes and issues are. So I am going to dump all the research I did tonight, and follow the recommendations from our vet. He is not only knowledgable, but he is compassionate towards our dogs. We think the world of him.

The blessing and curse of the Internet. Without it my vets' practice couldn't have done their professional research on ZRD as quickly or thoroughly (not many Sibes around here), emailed other veterinary friends for opinions, etc. Then again, you and I can get online and scare the crap out of ourselves. Having a vet you trust is critical in this sort of situation, and mine.

If she does have to have surgery, her youth will help her heal quickly and solidly. Hopefully she won't need it but if so, it's better for a young healthy dog than an older dog. Hugs and wishes for a speedy, non-surgical recovery.

Oh Zoya hope all works for the best for you soon and that Dave just trusts the vet...

here is too a speey rcovery from all of us in Holland....& HUGGLES  Bindi & Alpha...

UPDATE

Zoya is adapting to her cruciate ligament injury. Not improving much, but adapting. Below is a video taken earlier today while I had her out in the front yard for a potty session.

Hugs and love from Zoya's Iowa friends..........get better quickly and Dave, if you or Sally need anything, please let us know!

Thanks Becky. It's just that it really pains me to see Zoya with this injury. She so badly wants to get out to the back yard and run free. But right now, that is not an option. This morning, she ran down the stairs to the family room. But of course, she is unable to ascend the stairs. So I hook a lead on her, take her out through the patio door off the family room (thank God we have a walk-out basement), around the back of the house, through the gate into the front yard, then through the garage, and finally into the kitchen, where Rohn is waiting to pounce.

UPDATE

Zoya is adapting to her cruciate ligament injury. Not improving much, but adapting. Below is a video taken earlier today while I had her out in the front yard for a potty session.

Is it my imagination or is she trying to put some weight on it every few steps?

It must be killing you to see her that way. Hugs to both and fast healing to Zoya.

Oh gosh, it must be so distressing right now... when is her next vet visit?

I know someone in my neck of the woods who had good results with hydrotherapy sessions where they basically walk partially suspended on an underwater treadmill and others have had non surgical results with a brace.

Either way I know you have a great vet and probably researched these things anyway... I also had to agree with your previous comments about google diagnosis - so my apologies if this contradicts that  :)

Oh gosh, it must be so distressing right now... when is her next vet visit?

I know someone in my neck of the woods who had good results with hydrotherapy sessions where they basically walk partially suspended on an underwater treadmill and others have had non surgical results with a brace.

Either way I know you have a great vet and probably researched these things anyway... I also had to agree with your previous comments about google diagnosis - so my apologies if this contradicts that  :)

Jase, as always, I appreciate your posts, not only on this thread, but in all threads. Zoya's next vet visit is on January 17. The vet wants to see if the anti-inflammatories help, and then a few days before the visit, she will be off them. And so he wants to know if there is any change in those few final days. His initial diagnosis was potentially she had a full rupture, which ultimately would require some form of surgery or mechanical assist. However, he is conservative in his approach, and wants to give Zoya the benefit in case the rupture is only partial. If after this two weeks, there is improvement, then we will go into some sort of rehab.

The biggest obstacle right now, is Zoya's fear of tile floors. As you can imagine, they can be slippery. With only three points touching, she is not as stable. I purchased four non-slip runners for the hallway, but it still takes a huge coaxing effort to get her to venture off the carpet into the hall. Once in the hall, she does fine on the runners.

Jase, as always, I appreciate your posts, not only on this thread, but in all threads. Zoya's next vet visit is on January 17. The vet wants to see if the anti-inflammatories help, and then a few days before the visit, she will be off them. And so he wants to know if there is any change in those few final days. His initial diagnosis was potentially she had a full rupture, which ultimately would require some form of surgery or mechanical assist. However, he is conservative in his approach, and wants to give Zoya the benefit in case the rupture is only partial. If after this two weeks, there is improvement, then we will go into some sort of rehab.

The biggest obstacle right now, is Zoya's fear of tile floors. As you can imagine, they can be slippery. With only three points touching, she is not as stable. I purchased four non-slip runners for the hallway, but it still takes a huge coaxing effort to get her to venture off the carpet into the hall. Once in the hall, she does fine on the runners.

Thanks Dave, it is very kind of you to say this  :)

It sounds like you are doing all the right things between you and your vet.

One thing I thought of - and please forgive me if you are already doing this... you can make up a sort of sling - similar to an old fashioned broken arm sling, you then slip in under her tummy, tie a knot that you use as a handle to help her up and slightly assist weight bearing. There are purpose made ones that are used in doggy rehab, so it wouldn't be hard to find an image and get some ideas.

All the best and will hope for some positive news after the next vet visit.