Tips For A Soon To Be An Owner

Parson

I just left a deposit for an adorable male puppy. I think I’ll name him Kodiak after the city in Alaska, their native land. I’ve been doing some research and to my surprise they’re somewhat conflicting so I wanted to go to the best source, the actual owners so here I am. I’ve read on many forums that Huskies are “Escape Artists” and would run away when they get the slightest chance, they would dig under, jump over and chew through anything to run free and once they do they’re gone for good. We have a pretty large and secure yard but no matter how secure the yard is I’m pretty sure as smart as they are they’ll find a way. I just like to know what I’m getting myself into. My next question is what gender would you recommend,  I have a choice for both. Would you take a male or a female and why? I appreciate any tips. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum! Plenty of info here and helpful members :)

In my experience, I've never had a problem with my boy trying to escape .. yet. I've had him for a bit under a year now. He has tried digging at the edge of the fence occasionally, but he gets bored of that pretty quickly. Most escape stories I've heard have an underlying story to them too, the number 1 reason they'll try to escape is boredom. Wear them out first and give them plenty to do while you're out, and you should be fine :)

I've had male dogs all my life, so I can't really comment on the pros and cons of each. Heaps of others here that will be able to though :)

Edited by Dan

:hello:  and :welcome:  I have a Husky, GSD and Two Malamute Puppies.  On the whole they love a good dig.  So I would provide an area where they can dig to there hearts content.  Provide a water bath so they can splash to their little hearts content.   And never leave to long un attended when in the garden, yard etc.  If you are worried, put paving slabs down by the fence in the most un secure areas if not all round.  Lots of interesting toys, my slippers, flower pots with prize plants..  and exercise, all though limit the walking when they are little, 5 min rule per month is a good guide.

Mine have never tried to escape but I would never rule out the chance.

They truly are the most wonderful dogs and the most frustrating.  But would I change them--- nope. not ever. (well when Noah ate my new apple tree, maybe).

As Dan said lots of useful info on the forum.

Welcome to the forum.  :wave: x

I think a lot of it depends on the dog in question.  Mine aren't too bad but I know others who's huskies are right little houdini's and will try to escape at the first available moment.  Male or female?  Personally I'm more used to girl dogs so would probably pick a female but again a lot of it really boils down to the personality of the individual. 

post-6001-0-51689900-1415371983.jpg to post-6001-0-57367100-1414937190.png

male or female I have had them both and as more have said or will say it is the personality that counts imo...

Mine have got out of our garden twice, 1st time  was that the gate was left open  2nd time was that a fence panel was blown down by hard wind....

First of all, welcome and Kodiak is an awesome name ;)  but I am biased as I have a Kodiak lol

Yes, they are escape artists and even if you have a fence, they may be able to dig out.  I would suggest getting a 100ft tie out cable to supplement the fence, or else you may need to have concrete at the base or blocks to prevent them from digging under.  Of course, I wouldn't leave them unsupervised in the yard for very long, if at all.

As far as male/female I don't really think it matters.  I have all males.  My first pup wasn't intentional, he just happened to be male and I wasn't picky.  Getting the 2nd pup I thought that huskies might have same sex aggression, but that is not the case (it can be with Mals though), and especially not if they are neutered/fixed.

Feel free to ask any questions ;)

Welcome on board :)

First off, can you describe what your garden looks like? The one rescues/reputable breeders are often looking for have a six feet-tall fence that is not chain link, and concrete slabs underneath. But then again there's the 'coyote roller' thing if the concrete slab idea isn't viable. Don't ask me how much that costs though. Some Huskies aren't that dedicated to escapes. But some are suspiciously Houdini-like. Since you're getting a puppy, then you have no way of knowing until said pup grows older. Oh and do check for poisonous flowers/plants that may or may not be present in your garden. But even if you don't have any plants that may be poisonous, I should probably still let you know that these dogs treat plants like some leafy chew toys. Mine uprooted six of my dad's plants collection in his fourth or fifth night home :P not long after, we re-homed all our plants including the potted ones. Oh and of course; they dig too :lol: if you're a garden-proud person you really need to start stockpiling on patience.

Second off, gender doesn't matter. Just pick one pup that 'clicks' with you most. I have a boy, but I've interacted with several females too and I think they're both cool. They say males are more cuddly. Yeah right, mine is very cat-like. They say females are more protective. Yeah right, my neighbor's dog would be glad to show you around no matter who you are. Don't mind the stereotypes :) x

Welcome to huskydom xxx mine will slip through open door if he can then will decide to come straight back or be a total nightmare!! Lucky for us he has the attention span of a goldfish and is nosey so if anybody about he goes to say hello. Can't wait to see puppy pics x

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...