The Little Server That Could

BlueWolf

Don't panic if this gets too technical, this is for geeks that care about this sort of stuff  :rolleyes:

Today I have made the hard decision to upgrade my server. It's been needed for a while but there was always something else to do. But tonight, it's gotta be done. It's running Ubuntu Server as strongly and powerful as it did when I first booted it. It's been running quietly without any complaining in the attic doing its work as a file server, virtual machine host, a webserver, a torrent server and many more experiments I put it through. But now a reinstall and upgrade is needed as it's been slowly growing outdated over time.

Why am I so sentimental? Well....

post-2355-0-06988700-1417897690.png

Sleep well... See you in a few minutes after I reboot you... With an uptime of 0 :(

Had Ubuntu on my desktop for a while but was just too much hassle getting my programs going. Windows can stay the hell away from my servers though :D

Haha, back in the days I had a virtualized Windows NT server. Had to reboot it every month otherwise the system would catastrophically crash with an out of memory error [emoji28] I eventually fixed it though... By replacing it with Linux.

Don't have a problem with Ubuntu as an OS at all, kinda just feel like it's designed a little more for the user interface aspect than a server. I was installing TCL on a couple servers a while back for some reason and spent like half an hour figuring out why whatever I was running could never detect that TCL was installed, for whatever reason the libraries were being installed somewhere different on the Ubuntu server. Thus why I'd never touch Windows as a server OS even if it meant my life :P