How Do You Cope?

Val (Zebedee)

I'm having a little op on my leg in a few weeks and was thinking about the dogs. Have any of you had a time when you were unable to walk the dogs? What did you do? I know a girl who badly broke her ankle and bought a mobility scooter lol. One of her dogs rode on the footplate of the scooter when out for walks too  :lol: Her dogs aren't big pullers either so her hubby walked one, one rode with her & the third walked nicely up front harnessed to the electric scooter.

Can't see that happening with mine, I'd be pulled sideways every 5 seconds  :rofl:

So what did you do??

I've got my son to fall back on and help out but when hubby did his neck in my son wasn't quite old enough in my eyes to take on that responsibility so I had to walk them all by myself individually for a couple of months. Wasn't the best solution as it meant I had to give them each a shorter walk in order to fit it all in but compensated for it at the weekend by taking them to the basketball court for a good run around. Hope the op goes well Val. Xxx

there is a person in my village who goes out on his mobility scooter with 2 dogs they do pull him (not huskies) he has one on each side with a connection made to the scooter and a handle to his had to stop them somehow, he does have a 4 wheel one so that they cannot pull him over.. it is good fun to see ...

When Bella took my knee out, mark walked them for a few days then I hobbled a long with them.  When my hand was out of action I walked them. and cleaned out the bunnies and G pigs. When I had an op minor to my tum I walked them and cleaned the bunnies and G pigs as mark had to be in London.  But as mark says I'm an independent nut case and if I can move I will. 

Strongly do not recommend my actions as it takes you a lot longer to recover from things, apart from my hand. lol. By this time I have learnt if one part of your body is out other parts can take over.  Although when I snapped my ligament in my ankle and carried on it has left me a legacy of pain I would not wish on any one.

So do not be brave if a family member can walk them for you, let them or they just have to put up with looking at four walls with you then so be it.  Play mind games with them, hide the treat find the toy etc.

Can you find a dog walker for the few weeks you are out of action as has been suggested.

Most of the time I have to do all the dog walking as older kids are away at uni, hubby is away working and youngest son is out from 6.45am to 6.30pm all week. I can't walk all 3 at once, I'd end up on the floor :)  So I do 2, then 1.  It does either mean I cut their walks a bit or I walk ALOT of miles each day.  I see what the weathers like and how I feel.  When it's the weekend and my older son is home from uni I get him and his brother to do the walks, though to be honest I like to go with them as I love to see them intereact with the dogs.  I'm lucky we now have the dog run and this has made life much easier if I fancy skipping a walk, the dogs can still go out and do their thing, tear around and wear each other out :)