Huskies - good guard dogs???

Aww I'm sorry to hear that, we got broken into when i was younger, I remember how it shook me up, I know sibes are useless guard dogs, but if you want a beautiful, similar and effective guard dog look at Japanese Akita's - they are beautiful dogs with wonderful temperaments and very very protective,,,the first you'd know of the burglar would be their cry for help...

Personally (NOT being a dog trainer or anything close) lol But i think youve got more chance of hiring ROBOCOP than making a husky gaurd lol and it would probs be cheaper aswell. I dont see why you should have to buy another dog for security? With all the technology around? CCTV, ALARMS, LOCKS, LATCHES so much easier and proberly a whole lot cheaper!!!! Please dont make your husky aggressive! lol

Personally (NOT being a dog trainer or anything close) lol But i think youve got more chance of hiring ROBOCOP than making a husky gaurd lol and it would probs be cheaper aswell. I dont see why you should have to buy another dog for security? With all the technology around? CCTV, ALARMS, LOCKS, LATCHES so much easier and proberly a whole lot cheaper!!!! Please dont make your husky aggressive! lol

I personally think Grey is a very good Guard dog, he growls and Barks whenever he sences someone at the door he dont know i,e postman or gas man, that to me is just what i want as a guard dog it enough to put people off from entering, would not want a dog who rips the face of someone who enters my house illegally as nowadays it would be me that would get done and my dog destroyed, so depending on what style of guard dog you want Huskies do a good enough job.........

I personally think Grey is a very good Guard dog, he growls and Barks whenever he sences someone at the door he dont know i,e postman or gas man, that to me is just what i want as a guard dog it enough to put people off from entering, would not want a dog who rips the face of someone who enters my house illegally as nowadays it would be me that would get done and my dog destroyed, so depending on what style of guard dog you want Huskies do a good enough job.........

out of all the dogs we have we have 3 which do NOT like anyone entering their side of the door. They bark constantly and while two of them will eventually settle one in particular will not stop. we end up having to place her in a seperate room. while out walking she is fine, ignores people, but in the home, a loud barker!!

i would not class them as guard dogs though, not at all. and as mentioned above if they ripped into someone who was terying to rob the house it would be ME and MY DOG in trouble, not the scumbag who was robbing the house!

so in essence, no they are not guard dogs, get an alsation at least they do what it says on the tin.

I have to agree with most of the posts regarding this issue.

Personally, I think you are better off with another breed for guarding. It's just not part of their demeanor.

Part of why we all love this breed is because of their eccentricities and their personalities. By attempting to change this trait, you can loose what drew you to the breed to begin with (and quite possibly create bigger problems along they way.) We have a lab, Chance, whose job it is to keep watch. My Siberian is a great watch dog, however. He'll watch people come in and take what they want; perhaps even showing them where the good stuff is should they try to leave without it. Oh, yes...a great watch dog is he!

I'm going to have this sticker made up (JKS)

"Tonight's burgular = Tomorrows dog shit" :P

Love it! :lol:

My two are like the majority of posters on here, more curious about a potential new friend that will fuss them than guarding the home .... they don't howl or make a fuss, they just sit at the living room door waiting to see if someone will come in ... though if you want to break into mine & see Diesel sitting there staring at you in the dark & you didn't know him, feel free!

• 10 years later...

My two are as good as a chocolate fire guard   -  my only warning is wagging tails and an eager expectant look,  -  they  would jump up the burglar  - to kiss him  - show him where the treat box is and  in return they would show him where any valuables are   - and probably help him got them into the car   - before going out on the town for the night together.    That is why I have alarms everywhere - including my shed.

• Like 1

Didnt some one her once say there house was broken into and that they found the husky in the bedroom with a pile of treat packets that had been given tp them so the bad guy could loot the house for the good stuff

3 hours ago, PaulG said:

Didnt some one her once say there house was broken into and that they found the husky in the bedroom with a pile of treat packets that had been given tp them so the bad guy could loot the house for the good stuff

Mine would do that for sure...