Huskies - good guard dogs???

I've always read that huskies don't make good guard dogs and are not likely to leave with a burglar than fend him off, well last night an intruder got into our house (while we all slept) and stole my partners car keys and his car was robbed <_< (nothing else was taken, although they now have the house key aswell).

Now we never wanted to train Dakota to be a guard dog, one reason is that I've heard they're not very good, but I also don't want her to become aggressive around friends she doesn't know. But given this has happended we thinking of bringing her to training lessons to help guard our house.

Just wondering if you guys can advise what your husky is like, are they any good at guarding your house???, Will the training work???

We're very luckly that nothing else was taken, dog is ok and we're all right, car was also picked up by police this morning so not too bad of an ending, just want to prevent it from happening again.

Although possible, it's rather unlikely or will require an extreme amount of training. Huskies are just naturally pack oriented, whether with people or other canines. This is exactly the reason why Sibes do well with multiple owners, and/or being rehomed. I think the training your Sibe to be a 'guard' could pose risky and could even back-fire on you. *shrugs* That's why I have a Lab as well, he's not a great 'guard' dog but is an awesome 'watch' dog. He'll bark at strangers and even people he knows if they come near the backyard/house.

Aloha,

Sorry to hear about your miss-fortune, but like you said "We're very luckly that nothing else was taken, dog is ok and we're all right, car was also picked up by police" at least you and your family are safe...

As for Sadie... If you pet her or give here a treat she will probably lead you to all the good stuff in the house and help carry it out. I totally agree with G30, about maybe having another breed of dog for a guard dog, because traiing a husky would be hard and kinda risky...

instead of training her to guard, which if it worked (it's unlikely to, she'd probably help take to good stuff out to their car then jump in with them) could backfire on you, why not get some beware of the dog signs, get a rottweiler sign or something, and put it somewhere obvious.

or tighten the security on your house, get cctv and advertise the fact that you have it... get those lights that come on when someone walks past, make sure all accessable windows and doors are locked, dont fit large doggy doors.....

you dont wanna teach your dog to guard, what if it bit one of you, or someone who was visiting, it would then be your fault and you could be prosectued and the dog could get put down.... Even if it was an intruder or someone trying to rob you, they can still prosecute you. stupid i know, but a woman was prosecuted by a robber when he fell through her conservetory roof onto a kitchen knife which was on her chopping board, even though he admitted her was trying to break in.... Your not actually allowed to 'physically' protect your home anymore.... blink.gif

could you live with the worry that if someone did break in she could be put down for something you trained her to do?

It would take someone with a LOT of patience and you with a lot of money to train a Husky to be a consistent guard dog. Was your dog out and about when this happened? Honestly people are afraid of my dogs... i can't imagine someone breaking in! Even though they are lousy when it comes down to it, my dogs go crazy when someone just walks in front of our house.

I'd get some beware of dog signs, and think of installing a burglar alarm. Guard dogs are a whole other realm. I had a personal protection trained GSD when I was young. We never had to deploy him, his appearance kept people away. I'd think of just tightening security around the house.

Are you aware of how much liability a ttrained personal protection or guard dog is??? I aid in the training of personal protection and police dogs so I can tell you first hand it is something you must take very seriously before getting involved in. If someone mishandles a PP dog then people can get needlessly seriously hurt and the dog end up PTS. It could happen due to something as innocent as a friend having a couple drinks too many and jokingly pretending to attack you or attack you with tickles and the dog misinterpreting it for a real attack.

Also PP dogs need to start their training as a puppy, not a full grown adult. They need to have an immensley thorough socialization process that most pet dogs don't undergo. This is so they have a better chance of deciphering between what is a real attack and what's normal human behaviour. They need to have exposure to people of various ethnicites and skin tones. They can not have any sort of shyness or fears. Even dogs who start training as a puppy don't always make it to being a fully trained PP dog.

I personally have never seen a Husky become a PP dog. There have been some trained in Schutzhund but ScH is NOT personal protection. Most ScH dogs (in North American at least) will not do a live bite. Many won't even "turn on" if there is no one around wearing a suit. This is because ScH to them is an elaborate game of tug rather than them protecting their owner from a threat.

So many people approach me saying they want a PP dog for security but in all honesty very few people could even handle having one in the home.

I'm not saying you couldn't do it or handle it just wanting to make sure you understand that having a PP dog is a LOT more than having a dog who would stand up to a threat and bite if the situation called for it. What I would recommend is training your Husky to be a watchdog or getting another breed that is known to be good watch dogs. A watch dog is a dog who will alert to something new or strange in their surroundings but they won't engage. MANY breeds make wonderful watch dogs without the stress and hassle of having to be constantly on guard over them when company is over to make sure everything stays "peaceful". Believe it or not one of the best watchdogs are Chihuahuas. You can't sneak anything past them!

To be honest it is nice that my boys (both chewy and achilles) have protective behaviors, but I will say that it

is frustrating at times. They are husky/malamute and very big and loud. The last thing I would have expected

was for them to naturally be on guard as they always seem to be.

I can tell you that yes it is somewhat of a comfort that I will be the first to know if a stranger is trying to come

into the yard or house, but it is very difficult to have dogs who are on guard as they are. There isnt actually

any mean-ness about them but they do bark and growl at strangers, any strangers.

My worst fear is kids coming up by the fence teasing and pestering them and then trying to put hands over,

under, or through the fence or even adult neighbors for that matter. It is very hard to have a guarding dog

who barks, whines, yelps, growls, and makes a nuicance of themselves about strangers...which is likely what

will happen if you try to train your husky to guard.

I have not taught either of these two boys to be like they are and I have made several failed attempts to get

them to cool their jets, trust me let your husky be a husky!!! do not teach them to be this way EVER!! The very

least you will have to contend with is cranky neighbors who will be mad, and the worst is a neighbor calling

the local police and turning you in for not controlling what they think is a dangerous dog.

Also, achilles doesnt do this but chewy does and you mentioned it so I wanted to give you a heads up. It

would be very unwise to teach your dog to be wary of people that you invite into your house. As I said I

never have taught this to chewy...

every single time a person who is new to him (not necessarily to me) comes into my home he is a total

menace because that person is a stranger. I have had to work my buns off to figure out how to calm him

down faster when he starts going off at people and new friends who come into my house...you DO NOT

want your husky to be doing this. They are not like shepherds and rotties who quietly guard and will

learn quickly to relax on cue...

It is very hard and stressful to have dogs who automatically guard as mine do, as they require ALOT of

supervision and smarts. I have had to teach chewy slowly (over about 5 months) that the second I touch

his collar he is to relax and lay down...so he wouldnt frighten the neighbors or their kids. Please just get

an alarm system or move to a place that has one. Its smarter, safer, and much easier.

Sibes were not bred to have the temperament or nerve to guard.

What kind of training do you think will make her guard the house better? Inappropriate training can do irreversible damage if you're not careful. I don't know any PP trainer worth their salt who would take on a Sibe to train to guard/do PP work.

The vast majority of dogs who "protect" won't actually follow through with their threats if confronted or pushed further.

you could just get another type of dog... german shepherds are pretty good guard dogs from what ive seen... my sister has one and when she was sleeping the dog wouldnt let me go near them w/o growling like he wanted to rip my throat out lol... he was friendly every other time though... also i use to have a neighbor who had one in his front yard.. if i walked near the gate the dog would jump up at it and snarl/bark/growl ect... good dogs imo

I don't think you could train a husky to be a protection dog - it goes against all its instincts. You would do better to get another dog of compatible breed which could do the guarding for you. We have a Japanese Shiba Inu who is an excellent guard dog (after all, what you need is a dog to guard you, to deter the burglar, not to eat him). This is Missy, our fearsome guard dog:

Missy2.jpg

Mick

I have two words for you: BURGERLER ALARM! Thats exactly what they are made and designed to do! You can get very clever ones these days that work in the rooms your not in at night.

Just a thought but what would you do if you did train your dog to be a guard dog, and it works really well, and then one day someone breaks in and she goes for them and their are armed so they defend themselves with the knife or gun they brought.

Then you have the liability suit of the burgerler sewing you and the vet bills of a seriously injured animal or worse a DEAD dog! I strongly disagree with anyone using a dog in this manner.

Im afraid I agree with everyone, I know a few people who have a pack of sibes and then a different breed to 'guard' the home.

Although when my mum comes round if she gets there before me she lets herself in and goes to let the dogs out, she has mentioned a few times now that Loki will give off a growl from the kitchen before he sees who it is!

Sarah

So sorry to hear that you had a intruder in your home. Hope all is ok!!

Iv always read that Huskies make useless guard Dogs but maybe with certin training and time you could meet half way and maybe get your Husky to be more of a noise maker when somone new comes into your home rather then be aggressive (This could backfire and be more of a nuissance with barking all the time tho:blink:) But im sure you could talk to a trainer and see if you could train your Husky alert signals so that he/she can show you when a stranger comes into your home???

Just an idea I could be so wrong but there is nothing wrong in talking to a trainer and seeing what they say???? I think a few members on here were training there husky to be a therapy Dog :)

Huskies are definitely trainable, but it takes a very specific type of dog to do personal protection work.

They need to have excellent nerves, be able to aggress in a controlled manner, react out of confidence not fear which is what most dogs displaying "protectiveness" do.

It also takes a long time to train a PP dog, we are talking very specific training from puppy hood through to adulthood.

i understand your concern but training a husky to guard is probably not going to happen.......kodah loves people ,and i mean anybody, he doesnt even bark when people come in or knock on dr. but most people are scared just of the sight of him, and of course i play along with it by saying" he attacks only on command" but he would never, but i guess it he could if he felt threatned....the otherday i came in house with a full face mask on that he did not like at all, showed his teeth!!but i do have me a guard dog even though his legs are like 3 inches long he will chew of your ankles!!!!!strangers beware

So sorry to hear you were broken into - get your locks changed as quickly as possible!

I agree with what's been psoted, maybe you could train him to HOWL when someone comes to your house - a howling "wolf" can look intimidating to someone who doesn't know the breed.....that way he would wake you up if someone came in but he wouldn't attack them?

I agree with what's been psoted, maybe you could train him to HOWL when someone comes to your house - a howling "wolf" can look intimidating to someone who doesn't know the breed.....that way he would wake you up if someone came in but he wouldn't attack them?

I like this idea of howling when someone comes, wish I could get Pongo to do this. He is definitely a lousy guard dog, he tried to jump into a stranger's car today!blink.gif People think he looks scary though

I'm glad ur ok, it must have been horrible 2 know a scumbag was in ur house with ur baby, dont know wot i would have done if some1 broke into my place ! I prob would have been the 1 in court !

It will NEVER work tryin 2 get a Husky 2 be a guard dog, its just not in their nature! They will prob give the burglar a big hug then look at him as though he doesnt exist n let him nick everythin!

I know lots of reputable.... oooohhh WAIT, just seen where u live so dont think suppliers i have r down there !

GET A GOOD ALARM SYSTEM, u can get good 'PET TOLERANT alarms which will allow ur Husky 2 walk around n not set it off. I know its a big payout in the beggining but it will be worth it in the end.

Hope everythin works out.

Emily x

my buddy is corgi/sheltie...so his corgi legs are so short , but 1 can never under estimate my "buddy 2-bits!!!" he is viscous if he dont know you, kodah is scared of buddy 2-bits, kodah tries to be dominate but buddy always puts him in his place which is way at the bottom of the pack.

LOL...biggrin.gif Great statement!!! x x x x

Thanks guys for your help. I agree with you, I don't want her to become aggressive and she's got such a great spirit, I don't her to change. I might try and get her to howl when people come in but we've so many people coming and going all the time it might get annoying. All our locks have been changed, bought sensor lights for outside and refitting the side fencing, if all else fails we'll move (we're only renting the house). We've spoken about getting another dog in a few months (waiting on till Dakota is spayed first), we also want her to have some company when we're not at home. There's a chihuaha across the road from us and your right, he see's and barks at everyone and anything (very annoying but good guard dog).

Thanks again everyone :)