Cold Weather payments - for people on benefits

Sarah

More of my tax going to waste angry.gif

you just made me inexplicably happy that I don't live in the UK.

Seeing how I'm on benefits and live in the US where absolutely no jobs are available for those of us who own a vagina have have produced offspring. I do happen to be on benefits and would rather love to have this offered in the states.

you just made me inexplicably happy that I don't live in the UK.

Seeing how I'm on benefits and live in the US where absolutely no jobs are available for those of us who own a vagina have have produced offspring. I do happen to be on benefits and would rather love to have this offered in the states.

thats interesting because out of the last 4 people we've hired at my job 3 of them "owned a vagina" and have produced offspring.. weird eh.. maybe they just figure you would be a shitty employee so they would rather hire someone else. just sayin

though i gotta say i dont understand you're comments..

"you just made me inexplicably happy that I don't live in the UK."

"I do happen to be on benefits and would rather love to have this offered in the states."

how does that make sense?

there are things like that, that you can get in the states... it has something to do with not being able to pay for oil (if thats the type of heat you have) or your gas/power bill... and if you just popped out a kid it should be very easy to get it too.

other than that i won't comment, i'd probably end up banned for it.

Ross

I would do away with benefits all tougher before this country goes bust and I believe one day it will we are in trillions of debt now and its climbing faster than its ever done.

Here is a list of the things that cost the most that I would get rid of to save the country.....

Pensions : everyone should be made to take out a private one at the age of starting work.

NHS: Do away with the white elephant,everyone should be made to take out a private health plan at birth though a family one then one of there own when coming of age.

Schools: Privatize them see how many would of closed last week then !! and why do I pay tax for children to go to school when I have none angry.gif

Benefits: I know there will always be the very needy will always have to have some type of benefits but some lazy arse that cant be arsed getting a job would get f@@k all if it was up to me and the others that do need should be means tested to make sure they do.

GOD who got me started on my fav subject

thats interesting because out of the last 4 people we've hired at my job 3 of them "owned a vagina" and have produced offspring.. weird eh.. maybe they just figure you would be a shitty employee so they would rather hire someone else. just sayin

though i gotta say i dont understand you're comments..

how does that make sense?

Okay maybe I should rephrase my location and elaborate on the terms of my termination from my last job.

I live in North Carolina. I was terminated from my last job because I showed them my pregnancy confirmation. They also blamed the termination on my being in idle too long. I actually showed them the trash can that contained the contents of my stomach which was my reason for being in idle. My supervisor didn't believe I was vomiting for 20 minutes. I suppose they would have rather me vomited in a customer's ear than the trash can.

I do however have an interview offer but their interview times are absurd. I keep trying to schedule an appointment but all they ever have is "today" and it's usually "in 10-15 minutes" when I live over an hour away from the interview location.

I can't find another job because there are none here. I've even applied at fast food restaurants but they're just not hiring anywhere near where I live. I can't find anything to do with cold weather benefits and the unemployment agency told me yesterday that they're not nor do they plan on offering cold weather assistance even though NC is getting absurdly cold weather.

Okay maybe I should rephrase my location and elaborate on the terms of my termination from my last job.

I live in North Carolina. I was terminated from my last job because I showed them my pregnancy confirmation. They also blamed the termination on my being in idle too long. I actually showed them the trash can that contained the contents of my stomach which was my reason for being in idle. My supervisor didn't believe I was vomiting for 20 minutes. I suppose they would have rather me vomited in a customer's ear than the trash can.

I do however have an interview offer but their interview times are absurd. I keep trying to schedule an appointment but all they ever have is "today" and it's usually "in 10-15 minutes" when I live over an hour away from the interview location.

I can't find another job because there are none here. I've even applied at fast food restaurants but they're just not hiring anywhere near where I live. I can't find anything to do with cold weather benefits and the unemployment agency told me yesterday that they're not nor do they plan on offering cold weather assistance even though NC is getting absurdly cold weather.

WHAT THE LAW SAYS

Federal and State laws make sure that Americans are able to have

children without losing their jobs. Discrimination against you

because you are pregnant violates the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

Under this law, employers who have at least 15 workers are not

allowed to:

o Refuse to hire a woman because of pregnancy

o Fire or force a worker to leave because she is pregnant

o Take away credit for previous years, accrued retirement benefits,

or seniority because of maternity leave

o Fire or refuse to hire a woman because she has an abortion

You must be allowed to keep working as long as you are able to do

your job. Your boss cannot make a rule about how long you must stay

out of work before or after childbirthgrey_loader.gif. If your company does not

offer sick leave, then it may be discriminating against pregnant

workers.

Your employer must treat you at least as well as he/she treats other

workers who can't do their jobs for a short time. For example, if

your company lets a worker go who had a heart attack or broken leg on

paid or unpaid disability leave, you must also have this right if you

are unable to work because of pregnancy or childbirth. If your

pregnancy stops you from being able to do your job, you have the

right to be given easier duties, if other workers who can't do their

jobs for a short time get this right.

Many States have equal employment opportunity laws that protect

against pregnancy discrimination. In addition, the States of

California, Hawaii, New Jersey, New York and Rhode Island, and Puerto

Rico also pay partial wages during time off from work for medical

problems, including those of pregnancy. Find out if your State has

this law, which is called "temporary disability insurance." Some

employers, especially larger companies, also offer this type of

insurance. Check your benefits.

HOW MUCH TIME CAN YOU HAVE OFF?

A new law, the Family and Medical Leave Act, gives you added

protections. It went into effect on August 5, 1993. If your doctor

or health care provider says you are sick and unable to work during

your pregnancy, you may be able to get up to 12 weeks off without pay

under this new law. You also are allowed time off for childbirth,

adoption, and to care for a sick child or family member. If you take

time off under this law, you have the right to the same job or a job

with equal pay and benefits when you come back to work. Call the

Women's Bureau at 1-800-827-5335 for a copy of our brochure, Family

and Medical Leave Act: Know Your Rights.

Some States have their own family leave laws that protect your right

to return to your job after time off for pregnancy-related problems

or childbirth.

WHAT CAN YOU DO IF YOU ARE DISCRIMINATED AGAINST?

1) Write down what happened. Write down the date, time and place of

the incident, as soon as possible. Include what was said and who was

there. Keep a copy of these notes at home. They will be useful if

you decide to file a complaint with your company or to take legal

action.

2) Get emotional support from friends and family. It can be very

upsetting to feel you have been treated unfairly at work. Take care

of yourself. Think about what you want to do. Get help to do it.

3) Talk to your union representative. Union rules often allow you to

file a grievance. If you don't have a union, call a women's or civil

rights group for help.

4) Talk to your employer. Your company may have an Equal Employment

Opportunity Officer or a way for you to file a "complaint." For

instance, some companies have new ways to resolve problems, like

"mediation." Check your employee handbook for procedures.

5) Find out how other pregnant workers have been treated. Talk to

any women who may have had trouble at work because they were

pregnant.

6) Keep doing a good job and keep a record of your work. Keep copies

at home of your job evaluations and any letters or memos that show

that you do a good job at work. Your boss may criticize your job

performance later on in order to defend his or her discrimination.

7) You have a right to file a charge. The law has a very short time

limit on how long you can wait to file a charge against your company.

You can file a charge even if you do not work for your employer

anymore. You can file a charge with the U. S. Equal Employment

Opportunity Commission (EEOC) at 1-800-669-EEOC. Most states and

local governments also have a Human Rights or Civil Rights office

that can help.

8) Find out more about your legal rights. You do not need a lawyer

to file a charge with EEOC. But you may want to talk with a lawyer

who specializes in sex discrimination. The State bar association or

the women's bar association in your area can refer you to lawyers.

They can help you figure out what to do. They know the pros and cons

of different legal actions, including the time and the cost of filing

a lawsuit.

OMG surley that's wrong? You must be able to take them to a tribuneral ?

I didn't look into the requirements for them... or really how relevant they were to what i was actually searching for but the 2nd and 3rd links should be a good starting point. the types of programs i was talking about won't be on the employment website but on public assistance or whatever the public service type administrations are called in NC...

http://www.google.com/search?q=public+assistance+with+bills+and+power+in+NC&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

sorry about the situation and hope this can help

Ross

I actually cannot take sprint to court. Thanks to the North Carolina "At Will" law they can fire you whenever for whatever reason if you do not sign on to the company for a specific time.

They could have fired me for breathing to heavily if they really wanted to.

Now mind you I'm not upset at all about loosing my job. I hated, truly hated working for sprint, my supervisor was sexist AND racist. I was the poster child for anti-smoking until I started working there. Getting fired could possibly have been one of the best things that ever happened. Not only am I getting unemployment benefits I'm able to go back to school for my radiography degree so I can have a stable worth while job rather than a dead end job like the sprint call center.

I say that it should be given to people who need forinstance people with diabilities who cant work or who work as hard as they can even with a disability they should still get paid. And as for any other benifit people who have kids and cant find work to support them should get help as in this day in age there arnt many jobs around at all x just thought i would add as thats my view but they should do away with the others or make it alot hard to claim x