When Did Your Siberian Get Fat?

I'm not saying everyone's Huskies on this site are fat, because obviously a lot of them aren't! I'm just curious, since Meeko and Cara are getting a little older (still young though I know!), at what age to Siberian Huskies start packing on the weight? I wouldn't say mine are super active, they run around the yard a few times a day, but not exactly heavy exercise. I've read somewhere that Huskies are prone to obesity so I would like to try to avoid that as much as possible, because I've heard getting the weight off is very difficult. I feel like they kind of eat a lot right now, 4 cups of food a day (2 in the morning, 2 at night) and if this will lead to them being overweight, I would like to maybe nip that in the bud early.

That sounds like a lot of food, what brand are you giving them?  Mine each get 2 cups a day total, 1 in the morning, 1 at night.

Mine started filling out around 2 years of age, Yukon earlier because he isn't as active.

Our Kallie is 3 1/2 years and only this past summer finally topped over 42 lbs.  She was pretty lean, never over 36 lbs right up until then. She is average size for a gal, and is very pretty active. They seem to mature fairly slowly, compared to other breeds that we have owned, maybe that's it.

post-7402-0-64217600-1416276101_thumb.jp

My boys have always been 22kgs give or take a kg and have always been happy with their size and weight.  They were neutered a couple of months ago, 2 of the 3 are a good weight, Koda however has piled on the pounds now so i'm reducing his food gradually.

They get 1 cup of food a day and 1 chew a day when i go to work in a morning so very little really.  They all get the same walks etc as well but eaach husky / dog is different as i can see with my 3 

I'm glad to say none of ours. But their weight is prone to go up and down, according to food (raw fed a variety), time of year and exercise. If they feel (ribs) like they've put a bit on, we feed slightly less - and would feed more if the reverse (though we've never needed to)

• 2 weeks later...
Hidden

Agreed with proper diet (including quantity) and exercise, baring any health issues, the Siberian Husky should not be a fat dog.  4 cups of food is a ton, especially if it's a high quality food which from what I've seen 4Health is an ok food- but even at the peak of working season we are barely needing 4 cups per day to maintain weight- averaging closer to 1.5-3 cups depending on the dog.

Not sure if you read this thread, but it is helpful in deciding whether or not your huskies (or any dog, really) is overweight or not.

The only time my boy was fat was when he wasn't given a lot of exercise one winter (purely my fault, it was his first winter with us and I was terrified of walking him and slipping on ice). Now, even at the age of 9, he's kept at an ideal weight by exercise and controlling his food consumption. I've noticed he does gain a little bit of weight (and is more hungry) during the autumn, but I think that's normal...sometimes even for people!

Edited by SolitaryHowl

Harry is quite a big for a husky weighing in at 29kgs but he's perfectly in proportion and doesn't look fat. He eats on average 3 cups of kibble a day, plus the occasional oily fish or cooked chicken. I'd say he's  quite an active dog, especially as he has the other two to play with in their off lead dog run, so sometimes I don't bother walking them as they wear themselves out playing in there.  

We have had a couple of instances in the past when I've felt as though he is a bit on the chunky side but tbh he regulates his own food intake, this morning he just doesn't want to eat.

Snow who is a GSD x husky has always been on the small side at 16 months he's now 22kgs and does seem a little on the chunky side.  He usually have 2.5-3 cups of kibble a day but he is a very active dog and gets very hungry.  He's also got his winter coat coming in which makes him look bigger anyway :)

Yes I did read that article on judging whether my dogs are fat, and that's why I know they are not. They have been even more active since the cold weather so I don't plan on lessening their food intake anytime soon. I just wanted to be on the lookout for reasons the would become overweight, since it seems more difficult to get the weight off.

• 1 month later...