Dozer

Dozer was just chasing his tail barking I thought he was just being a goof ball like always but then he sniffed his bum I felt his tummy and it's hard at the top near his ribs isn't but the rest is he had a bone earlier could it be obstructed again? It's sort of like he was when he had the last obstruction but he isn't pooping blood or anything else he just ate half his dinner and is still drinking.

What do I do? I don't have the money to take him to an after hours vet last time it cost us nearly $900 and we just don't have that much :'( I'll keep checking on him for now see if anything changes.

Is there anything I can do to help him if that's what it is? Please help I'm really worried :(

post-9013-14151850250829_thumb.jpg

post-9013-14151850355109_thumb.jpg

That's what his belly looks like I tried to get one of him standing but he wouldn't let me.

I just massaged hots belly and he likes it he wanted more one side is harder then the other.

I don't have any bread left to try it :(

if he is not distressed perhaps you can wait until morning. I am just worried about bloating. Just check his gums to make sure it stays pink, and you mentioned he is still drinking that's also good, but if it is excessive drinking it might be a warning sign.  Did he has a big meal prior to this?

this site detailed the symptoms for bloat maybe you can check and compare?

http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/gastric-volvulus-bloat-dogs-life-threatening-emergency

if he seems fine just periodically check the vital signs like breathing, gums, pulse etc.  Hope he will be fine after some rests. Keep us posted.

I don't think it's bloat he isn't doing any of the signs. He had a bone about an hour or two before this happened which is why I think it was that from now on he's not getting any bones :( I'm about to check on him we just woke up will let you know how he's doing soon :)

And thank you for the help :)

His belly is still hard but he is still drinking and running around not that I want him to he went straight to his for bowl but it's empty lol poor thing looked disparities disappointed

He just did a poop wasn't runny or anything

Glad to hear he pooped ok. If he was running around then probably not in pain. You can also try massaging his abdomen bit by bit to check for abnormality. Have he eaten yet today?

Out of curiosity what bone did he get? Raw meaty bone or cow hide type bone?

He hasn't eaten that I know of today they get fed at night.

It was one of those big meaty bones Sasha had one as well but she only ate a bit of meat of it and then left it. I massaged his belly last night but didn't feel anything out of the ordinary I'll check again when I get home hopefully he will be ok.

Hoping Dozer is okay. If you can get some Slippery Elm from a health food store it is excellent for moving blockages.

I'll check the health food shop that's here it's only a small one not sure what they have. Or at least I think there's one here lol I can't remember will let you know if I find one :)

Thanks everyone I'm hoping so to :)

It is pretty readily available, you can even get it at Chemist Warehouse. Powder is easier to use. If you can only get capsules, just make sure it just contains Slippery Elm. 

Lemme know how you get on.

It is pretty readily available, you can even get it at Chemist Warehouse. Powder is easier to use. If you can only get capsules, just make sure it just contains Slippery Elm.

Lemme know how you get on.

I got the powder it was cheaper I said it was for the dog and the lady said oh are you sure you can use it on a dog lol what do I do with it?

once I'm finished at the Dr and get home I'll give it to him :)

Great, powder is best. Funny comment from the shop, as it is one of the the best natural remedies for dogs with tummy issues. Even some normal vets use it for blockages.

Get a rounded teaspoon full, and 250 ml water, mix and bring to boil and gently simmer for 3 minutes. Remove from heat, you can add some honey or molasses for taste if you wish. Keep the rest of the brew in the fridge for a couple of days.

When cool, give around 2 dessert spoons, 3 or 4 times per day. Ideally half an hour before main meals but its not really necessary for what you are using it for, before meals is good for runny poops.

Hey Jase will it be ok to give Sasha some as well her belly is a bit hard as well not as bad as dozer though?

And is normal honey from the shop ok to put with it? I didn't have enough money to get the other honey you were talking about :(

Yes it is fine to give Sasha, the honey is really just to sweeten it a bit incase they don't like the taste. Even if you had the expensive medical honey it would lose its active enzymes by putting into the warm or hot Slippery Elm brew. So cheap stuff is good, jam or anything you want really.

I am glad to hear they are doing better, how are their poops?

Not sure about today we have been out all day yesterday Sasha was a bit softer then usual but nothing to worrying and not sure about dozer didn't see him poop.

There both running around a lot more though I filled up there shell pool before we left and dozer went crazy over the water lol Sasha just watched and looked at me like she was saying turn that damn thing off lol

It is normally 3 days for a blockage to start causing problems, so I would say that if he hasn't been vomiting by now and still eating etc there won't be a blockage. Still keep an eye on things and go to the vet if you are worried.

It is normally 3 days for a blockage to start causing problems, so I would say that if he hasn't been vomiting by now and still eating etc there won't be a blockage. Still keep an eye on things and go to the vet if you are worried.

It doesn't seem like a blockage when he had the last one he wasn't trying to play he was bleeding and couldn't poop this time I think it might just be something didn't agree with him or constipation his belly is softer today which is good hopefully he will be all good in a few days :)

Cool, the weird thing about slippery elm is that is is good for both the runs and constipation... I know that seems contradictory but it is to do with the coating it applies to the digestive tract. Some raw liver may help clean him out if you think he has constipation.