Question? House Breaking -- Potty Training My New Puppy

Shansbo

Hello, 

I am house training my puppy to go potty outside.  So far it is WONDERFUL! I say Pee pee and take him out back and he goes.  I used to give him a treat every time but now I don't, but I still give him praise.  He has a crate and I place a pad in his crate at night for him.  He only pees on the pad.  The crate is huge and I separate the back from the front (hopefully that makes since).  He does not go when I take him for walks.  We will walk and walk and walk, he will wait until we are back at home and go in the back to potty.  I'm fine with that. So far he has not pooped in the house. That's a miracle.

The first day I got him I gave him free reign of the house.  He was peeing everywhere.  I immediately went online to get some help.  I put him out back at first and my husband went and got some pads and doggy treats.  I got different opinions about pads for huskies.  Some say they don't work, others have said its great for training.  I only use them for his crate. Sometimes during the day he has to be in his crate while we're gone.  I also keep him on a leash, when he is not in his crate.  I think because he is confined most of the time he will comply, because when I let him off the leash or out of his crate he will pee in the house.  

My question is...Is there an age or time when I can let him roam free in the house and he will not pee everywhere?  I don't want to keep him confined forever.  Also, he will be 8 weeks in 2 days.

It will happen eventually , I think my boy was around 5 months old .. My girl was about 7 months , they do eventually go outside on walks too , don't walk too much tho young puppies are still growing and have soft bones so 5 mins per month per walk is recommended , also as he's only nearly 8 weeks old he won't have had all of his injections yet so shouldn't actually being going out for walks just yet

Awww sounds like things are going well.  :)

Bear took a relatively short amount of time to stop having accidents, in fact she never really had that many at all but my boy Ice on the other hand was very hit and miss.  But keep on going as they all get there in the end, it's just that some take a bit longer than others to 'click' and infact to this day, Ice will still have days where he'll refuse to poop on his walk but do it in the garden as soon as he gets home.  :rolleyes: