Dog Is Too Needy

Hi, we have a 9 month female husky, she house trained really quick and has learnt so many commands. We believe she's well trained. She gets a walk in the mornings, has plenty of toys for when were not there and gets a walk at night including at least half hour off the leash, always comes when called.

Problem is in the house she constantly follows us about and if told to go lye down on her house bed she will huff, walk away turn round and give dirty looks then sit in the corner staring us out. We looked into speration anxiety but it's nt that, least we don't think so.

Just the other nite we brought her in as usual, both went to the bathroom and soon as we came out she had done 3 poos and a piss upstairS.

Her needy/clingy moods r getting hard to handle

Hi James and welcome to the forum.

As you are no doubt aware Husky's are not typical of other dog breeds and certain characteristics can be quite seriously emphasised and certain 'issues' can appear to be unsurmountable at times - but do not give up!

I would ensure that she is thoroughly checked over by your vet, (as any underlying medical condition can cause pain, discomfort and anxiety), and I would still get her checked over even if she had no traits whatsoever as it is always good practice - apologies if you have already done this.

What is her background like?

Was she a rescue dog, how many previous owners has she had, what were her parents like - answers to these questions may assist you to determine what may be the primary cause of this behaviour.

Exercise is my favourite subject, (yet I must admit that I can be guilty of not following my own advice on occasion), as plenty of exercise will de-stress any animal making them more likely to settle down, (in a safe and secure area within your home), and go to sleep.

Our youngest Husky, (Skye 1 yr female), needs lots and lots of exercise, (above and beyond our regular 5 mile sprints), and she will still exhibit signs of hyper activity at times.

Skye also needs to empty her bladder on a very regular basis and whenever she wont settle we take her outside, immediately, and let her answer the call of nature in her own time, (she manages to last all night fortunately).

Just ensure your Husky has an area in your house where she feels safe and secure, (preferably with some toys that she can start to 'relate' to), and which is relatively close enough to you so she knows you are not too far away!

And finally - dont give up as I am sure that many of the forum members will admit to being in very similar circumstances, (with their Husky's), where things appear to be getting worse with absolutely no signs of matters improving.

You may have to continue putting in the effort for some time to come, (it looks like you have already made an excellent start), but the end result will be well worth it - believe me.

I am sure that you will receive some excellent advice shortly.

She's been to the vet a few times as were having her spayed soon as she finished her first heat cycle abt 3 wks ago, maybe this has something to do with it.

Typical example of her is were just in from our night walk plenty of running, chasing, followed by a long walk, yet she will sit in the rain staring at the back door expecting to get in even though she has a big enough shelter to play under. We won't b letting her in until she moves from the door, if she's not at the door she's at the window lol

We hav loads of love n time for her so well not give up teaching/training as u say it comes with the breed.

It's just she expects to be with us 24/7 and wed like her to b able to relax a bit more when she's nt

• 3 weeks later...

Vet says ok to spey minimum five weeks post season. My Eski is fine now..hormones all settled. Remember bone growing ends need to be fully developed...may be too early if only a year old..dbl/triple check.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

You're her parents...she's an early teen..needs you on/off just like a teen...lol

If no issue with her health, and simply behavioral issue, have you tried ignoring her when at home, eg no baby talk, no eye contact no invite to play?

You can also give her some chew treat or direct her to toy box to teach her self entertaining.

I don't mean to give her cold shoulder but by staying calm she will have no other things to do but settle down, as there is no reaction receive.

Hope it work.

Huskies really need a 'den' that's nature!

A large collapsible crate with a dark drape over the top but not down the sides.

Leave door open...put treats inside..when she goes in to eat, quietly close door.

Give her five minutes.

After she's eaten her treat give her 5 mins & open door.

Reward her again.

Repeat later on...same process...and increase the time door is shut. Always reward ...she will gradually settle and wait but let her out with a reward for 'waiting in bed'.

This is useful for when she needs to 'go to bed' on order and 'stay' if you have folk or kids not happy with big dogs.

I always tell my two to 'bed' when I come home and 'wait' until I've unloaded and taken my coat off.

THEN they come and greet. Fuss and pats. I then clap and sweep my hands out and say 'break' to say it's time to return to normal.

www.successdogs.com has so many tips...Jean Cote will also respond to any queries you have over behaviour...trust him...

Regards. Maz

Good grief!

If mine started that there would be instant reprisal and they'd be shoved outside with a severe telling off.  Then they'd be banned from coming indoors again for a good hour!

I've had this once and my instant actions made it very clear to them they did NOT hold me to blackmail because THEY wanted my food!!

Not funny...this needs very firm action to show who is the boss.....

Well, my dog everyday when we eat (and we don't give to him) he starts to poo near table in the middle of lunch,dinner,breakfast ... :P

If mine did this pup or not there would be time out session straight away every lunch, dinner and breakfast...

A dog that would actually take a crap on the floor with the intention of angering its owners as a form of reprisal is remarkable. I had no idea dogs even had a concept of revenge or indeed a concept for blatant and intentional disobedience. Well, you learn something new everyday :)

I don't know if he does for reprisal, but He always does when we start to eat. Probably is the time :D

I would still remove it from the area and even if there is no room for time out leash it in a corner as far away as possible...need to have a barrier and it is not normall behaviour or otherwise take the pup out for a toilet break just beforre eating.

I would still remove it from the area and even if there is no room for time out leash it in a corner as far away as possible...need to have a barrier and it is not normall behaviour or otherwise take the pup out for a toilet break just beforre eating.

Actually is more my fault that I should bring him out before eating :(