Hamsters

We're getting 2 hamsters today. Just wondering How thé dogs Are going to take to them obviously they'd eat them given thé chance but what i was wondering would it torment them to put them in thé dogs view or should i keep them out of thé dogs site. Theyre fine with thé goldfish but thé goldfish is above thé crates we really dont have any space other than thé windowsill (in dogs view) we have another shelf above thé crate but quite High up unless i ask Alan to make a shelf in between thé 2 shelfs above thé crate. Id prefer them in thé living room if i can

Awwwww I love hammies…. Definitely keep them out of reach and in Josh's room…. Dwarf Hamsters can be kept in pairs as long as it is from an early age, so yours should be fine.  Syrian Hamsters fight…

I plan to have Hamsters again when I have a room free.  Not for a while yet though I hope…. As I love my kids still living with me, bar one who has left the nest :(  …

RIP Hammy 1,2and 3…. and yup, that was their names.  :D Never been accused of being original… 

• 4 weeks later...

the brown hamster poppy keeps attacking the white hamster daisy, my friend had got them from the petshop together and have always had them together in the one cage. i tap the cage when this happens and give out to them. any advice?

Can only go on what you've experienced - thought it would be good to adopt a Gerbil called Annie from P@H but of course I was persuaded by the family to give her a companion, Millie. Store warned us that they may not get on as they weren't from the same litter - which they didn't. Annie attacked Millie, Millie back to store vets - unfortunately without me as, whilst not having any problem with Millie coming back, apparently she "needed" two of her litter mates. So I agreed 1 Gerbil and we got 4! Annie, now named ASBO Annie, is on her own and Millie, Squizzie and Dottie in another cage :rolleyes:

The dogs get somewhat obsessed by them (they're out of reach in the living room) - not so much the prey drive as the rustling noises peaking their nosiness! We tell them to 'leave' which they mostly do but if one got out it would be snapped up in seconds (they mouse hunt when we take them for a walk)

the brown hamster poppy keeps attacking the white hamster daisy, my friend had got them from the petshop together and have always had them together in the one cage. i tap the cage when this happens and give out to them. any advice?

unfortunately some hamsters have horrible same sex aggression :( it's a tad funny how it didn't show up any earlier though.

EDIT: wait, stupid question: is any of them pregnant??

• 4 weeks later...