Trust Is A Disease

I have never let my girls off leash--on purpose. So my warning is always make sure it's latched properly. Three times this fall, the leashes fell off while we were just standing on the porch. And we'd already done our business, and I was so shocked but grateful it didn't happen while they weren't waiting to get in the house. I don't know how I wasn't latching it properly, but I double-check it now. Once, my male friend at the time fell and just let the leashes go. The girls were puppies. It was at night and they flew up the middle of the street. I was so scared because I was on the porch and saw my girl mushing up the street alone, and who knew if a car would be coming!

I calmed down and called their names in the sweetest voice i could muster and THANK GOD they listened and came right to me. They don't always do that. They usually think about whether it's to their "benefit" to come see what I want. Yeah, that's a habit I want to fix, but anyways....

• 1 year later...

Honestly this absolutely devastated me to read!! 

Kato was off the lead until about 8 month, I could still catch him at this age... just haha. Being my first Husky I wasn't aware of their hunting instinct and their want to run.  I soon learned though... he ended up on the main road (0.5 mile away) dodging cars and thankfully a police van pulled over with a dog handler and dogs on board, the handler let his 3 dogs out (Kato was in the farmer's field next to road by now) and Kato saw these 3 police dogs as play friends so immediately went about roughing them up and playing. The dog handler knew exactly what he was doing and thankfully I managed to retrieve Kato without a scratch to him (although the 3 police dogs were probably in shock haha) i couldn't thank the officer enough. Prior to this I always thought Kato had a good recall but since this day I bought him a 60-100ft horse training leash (snapped the usual dog leashes) and now he always has that attached. I let it hang loose because I am certain I can get to within 100ft of him when he runs still but I 100% recommend this. Your amazing Husky may be the most well behaved and recall trained dog in the world but for me now I just wouldn't take the chance.

Thanks,
Paul

• Like 2

@Geordie_Paul
Great read and to reinforce to all of us just in case! Mine are always with a harness and leash, and thankfully we have our yard high fenced so my two can play with freedom.
Though this thread started in 2014, I think it's great to bring it up to present for all the newbies on here (me included) and for all the new puppies!! Thanks for your comments too!![emoji171]🤗[emoji252][emoji179]

~ANGIE, ARMANI & ALINAH~

I genuinely didn't even look at the date of the last post (probably should have tbh haha) but either way like you say should definitely be brought to the forefront for new Husky Owners!! As i've stated I haven't been on here since 2012 but i learnt so much from this forum and without it I probably wouldn't have Kato to this day and now he's a 7 year old "rotund" little bugger =P I originally learnt the hard way, I'm 6ft 3 and i Had a 6ft fence in the back garden... Kato 7 month old (still a skinny git) easily jumped the fence and was gone, luckily i found him at the local dog & cat shelter..... and trust me if they can't climb it they will dig under it!! They are a complete little bugger to look after but listen, if you have the time and the correct attitude then they're so rewarding and it is worth it 20 fold!

Kato is... every bad name under the sun... but he is mine and i wouldn't change him for the world :):):D 

• Like 2

A husky should NEVER be trusted off leash! It is for their safety. I physically cringe when I read about someone letting their husky off leash or when I see a photo of one off leash and I know they are not safe within a fenced in area. So many horror stories of furbabies getting hit by cars or running away and since they are not usually home when they run off, they can not find their way home and are left to fend for themselves. They can easily be mistaken for a wolf or a coyote especially in the dark and get shot. It is so important that husky owners be educated well with the breed and their habits and behaviors. They are a full breed dog, not a descendant of the wolf, but they do have a very strong instinct to hunt and that instinct will distract them from following your commands. I really could go on and on but it really just comes down to safety. Please for the safety of your husky, keep them safely in your grasp. 

• Like 2

I genuinely didn't even look at the date of the last post (probably should have tbh haha) but either way like you say should definitely be brought to the forefront for new Husky Owners!! As i've stated I haven't been on here since 2012 but i learnt so much from this forum and without it I probably wouldn't have Kato to this day and now he's a 7 year old "rotund" little bugger =P I originally learnt the hard way, I'm 6ft 3 and i Had a 6ft fence in the back garden... Kato 7 month old (still a skinny git) easily jumped the fence and was gone, luckily i found him at the local dog & cat shelter..... and trust me if they can't climb it they will dig under it!! They are a complete little bugger to look after but listen, if you have the time and the correct attitude then they're so rewarding and it is worth it 20 fold!
Kato is... every bad name under the sun... but he is mine and i wouldn't change him for the world [emoji4][emoji4][emoji3] 

Don't worry about the date of the post , it's good you added your experience for anyone new who joins who was in the same position as you when there husky was still a young pup n listening , so glad u got your boy back safe :)

Sent from my E6653 using Husky Owners mobile app

• Like 3

An absolute must to read for all husky owners, new and old, it’s so easy to get caught up in the ‘trust’ feeling, but how devastating it could be the one time you let them off, it’s not even worth a second thought, literally.
A great reminder!
Devastating for the owner of the husky this happened to.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Yes 60 ft leads are good and I take my two out on a double lead and its usually good as I have rope attached to it round my waist. But the brass clip can be undone when they jump start as if starting off with a sled. But the double  is good as they have one failing low intelligence in that if off they will choose to go either side of a lamppost or rock  making recapture easy. Little comment I saw somewhere  ages of huskys my Topaz 16 years old  Monty about one year younger. only thing is Montys black coat now all grey. ( ive seen it on Tv a prog about a dog show for dogs that had them made up ,im going to try some hair dye  black and orange on both my dogs.  Have not got jet sprays but will try  with brushes to make them into tigers.