This Is It!

mydiamond

Last fish-less tank update picture before I pick up True Blue next Sunday :D

(( you might or might not notice the white plastic thread that I looped from one window to another. I do that to cover a sharp edge inside the window. This Spongebob house is the hideout with the *least* amount of sharp edges sold in my local Petco. None is 100% smooth and Betta-safe :angry: ))

post-2850-0-71422900-1411861255_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

Argh the tank water's not ready yet! :( the chemical process is s.l.o.w.

EDIT I'm gonna seize the moment to rant. I chose to follow this step-by-step process posted in a fish forum to do what they call "the fish-less cycling", a.k.a growing healthy bacterias in the water without sacrificing any fishes. Sounds good. I got the ammonia and all sorts of the testing kits. I was told that the moment the ammonia started decreasing, I'd be halfway there. The next step is watching the growth of nitrite-nitrate concentration in the water. Last step is: "one day, you'll wake up and both ammonia and nitrite-nitrate would be GONE! That means your cycle is complete!". Well, I'm past step one. My ammonia first decreased 4-5 days ago and I've re-added them twice since then (decreasing faster and faster since the first time). But. Where. Is. My. Nitrite-Nitrate. WHERE? :cry1: I've been doing this two weeks!

The ammonia turns into nitrite an then nitrate as a natural process as far as i'm aware.  As far as I can remember you only need to wait a week or so before adding fish so it must be almost ready by now? .....but do it gradually a small number at a time.   Too many fish at once will spike up that ammonia level creating "new tank syndrome" again and killing off your fishies!  :(