One Of Those Raptor Weeks!

Martian

Not sure what is going on this week but -

On my way home last Monday, (65 mile commute each way), I was circumnavigating Grantham, (via the A1 and Little Ponton), when I noted a large bird on the road, (in front of me), so I slowed and sounded my horn.

The bird refused to budge and I slowed to a crawl only to note that the bird was a very large preditor, (although I couldn't identify it), but it wasn't a Buzzard and it seemed far to big to be a Hawk?

It was that large I thought it was an Eagle, (it obviously wasn't), but it then dissapeared once I started to reach for my camera, (it was about to eat its prey by the side of the road).

I then continued on my way - regretting a missed photo opportunity!

Anyway -

We popped out this afternoon to do some shopping and we started driving down our solitary country back lane only to see a young Hawk fly alongside us and then fly directly in front of our car.

Once again I found myself having to brake in order to give way to a bird!

We had only travelled a further mile afterwhich, (guess what), another Hawk was sitting in the road and he too would not move, (I thought it was injured), so I actually stopped, (secretly hoping that it would stay where it was), but it then flew off as if nothing had happened!

Must be that time of the year when these birds start to behave strangely?

Ooh! Do you have any bird of prey sanctuarys nearby? We've got one called eagle heights in eynsford and from time to time they have escapees! Lol. Thankfully just the birds and not the cheetahs or the husky place they also run. Would be pretty shocking to look out your window and see a cheetah staring you in the face, lol.

That is certainly an interesting point as I could not identify the bird but it was very LARGE!

I often run 'off road' at night during the winter months and there are many times when my imagination gets the better of me as it only takes a rustle in the hedgerow or an eerie shadow to cause the hairs on the back of my neck to rise!

It is great for training though as my times keep improving!

Things can only get worse as that was when I lived in a large market town, (not too far from civilisation), but now I am a slightly more secluded location!

My winter training may take a nosedive if I encounter any similar episodes this winter as we are miles from anywhere!

Lol, yes I can imagine that being out in the countryside at night would be quite different. No streetlights to light your way and an abundance of strange nocturnal noises. Tbh I'm a suburban girl through and through so doubt I'd even make it off the driveway, lol.

We have red kites

Red_Kite,_Spain.jpg

They are a member of the vulture family and regularly scavenge carrion from the roads.

They have been reintroduced to the wild a few miles from here (Stokenchurch)

about 30 years ago and are now spreading far and wide.

they are quite a large bird too.

I know what you mean.  we live in the out skirts of a city, but venture further out ... all becomes quiet....,   you ought to speak to my daughter, she scares me to death with her tales of I came home and.....  Lets face it we all watch far to much telly.... and its probably a crow... :(

Many thanks for your further comments as I do find all birds of prey fascinating creatures!

Strangely enough my wife and I were rudely awoken at around 3am this morning by, (what sounded like), Owls hooting and screeching and it went on for about an hour!

And we often find feathers scattered over the garden, (from time to time), so that may indicate that our garden is a regular feeding area for the 'preditors of the night'!

There is a Parrot Sanctuary about 3 miles down the road, (as the Parrot flies), and there is also a Greyhound sanctuary virtually next door to the Parrots, (Greyhounds are super pets too)!

I am certainly not complaining, however, as we moved here in order to get a little closer to the countryside!

Bring it on!