My Husky's Coat Stink Even After Her Bath

tinh_cho_em

I need help!! Within the past several weeks, my husky's coat stink so bad even after her bath. It is a foul, rotten smell. First, I thought it was of her damped coat, so I try to dry her off more and even put a fan point to her crate for 2 hours to dry off her coat, but it doesn't help.

I normally take her to a dog park once or twice a week. And like any other husky, she loves her fair share of play time in the doggie pool. Although the water there isn't very clean, I never had this issue with the smell before.

The only thing out of ordinary is------As soon as her coat started to stink, she had a red eye and sneezing all around. I took her to the Vet and put her on medications and she's all better now.

Will the smell ever go away? Do I need to blow dry her as well in the future or continue to let her air-dried. I keep her indoor and it really sucks when she's sleeping in my bedroom.

shes a dog, all dogs stink, but try not to wash her all that often, maybe 3-4 times a year, or else you take the natural oils from the husky coat and its not good for them, mybe get her groomed 2-3 times a year if it really bothers you, but shes a dog at the end of the day, they dont care what they smell like, you'll get used to it :P  :P

What does she eat? Sort of a long shot, but it may be something she eats or has eaten. It could have been something she ate weeks before her coat started to stink.

shes a dog, all dogs stink, but try not to wash her all that often, maybe 3-4 times a year, or else you take the natural oils from the husky coat and its not good for them, mybe get her groomed 2-3 times a year if it really bothers you, but shes a dog at the end of the day, they dont care what they smell like, you'll get used to it :P  :P

I have to disagree here and say that Huskies (Malamutes too) don't smell.  I guess it's the trade off for all of the shedding.

Regarding her smelly coat, I'm unsure of what it could be caused by. Like Mazz said though it might be her diet? What does she eat?

EDIT:

How's her skin and ears? Could be an infection of some kind causing the smell?

I have to agree that a husky shouldn't smell, of course there will normally be a very faint smell just like we humans will have our own smell but this is dependant on how sensitive your nose is. My wife is very very sensitive to smells and she doesn't think our boy smells at all -  but it sounds like something is up with your girl.

I would first check with your vet to see if there is any underlying condition or fungus.

I also wonder if she has rolled in something that is particularly offensive. 

Constant bathing can also make things worse whereby you rob the skin of the protective oils that self regulate the coat. 

So it might be;

1. Diet related

2. Over washing

3. Rolled in something

4. Fungal infection

5. Moisture related

Calendula Tea makes an excellent rinse and freshen up. It doesn't rob the skin of natural oils and is anti microbial, anti fungal and anti bacterial. This might be worth considering.

A fully raw diet is reputed to reduce doggy smells as well. Adding things like probiotics and turmeric to food will help from inside to out as will coconut or fish oils.

I hope you find the cause soon, and welcome to the forum  :)

My Bear doesn't smell of anything.

Ice smells faintly of grass, if he's been laying on my bed I can smell him on it, lol.

Brooke my staffy is another matter....,in the summer she smells like a sweaty beast! I've got a rubbish sense of smell but I can definitely smell her sweaty beast smell, lol.

I would make sure of the ears as well if you havent yet... when my boy Wollie gets ear infection it smells like its his whole body but indeed the smell originates from only one ear ;)

Smokey my Husky pup has a lovely smell (well I think so at least) she doesn't even stink as normal wet dogs does when she's in the rain... might help that she stole a plastic bottle of lavender baby powder the other day and sprayed it everywhere in the room including on her! Vet said it wouldnt do anything to het coat since it was only on top and not rubbed in ;)

Sent from my GT-S5300 using Tapatalk 2

Mine always smell like the latest perfume my daughter is wearing.... She works for ester lauder.... Or they smell of rosemary as we have a couple of bushes in the garden.  Well unless they find that hard to resist fox doings.  :P  But I would go back to the vets and see what they say 

• 3 weeks later...

thank you everyone for the responses. after careful research and consultation with the vet, he said that it is mainly from her previous allergy and the moisture from the undercoat after bath. He advised me to full dry my Sushi and the key is to brush her as often as possible to remove her stinky undercoat. I will try that and update the result. I hope it works.

• 5 years later...

My dog got really smelly and the vet thought it was probably some kind of yeast infection. 

It was because he was boarded during a very rainy week - he got wet outside every day, but nobody dried him off. So his back stayed pretty wet for a week (It's harder for him to shake the water off his back).
Anyway he smelled so bad! Nobody could sit near him. We washed him a couple of times with dog shampoo, but the smell would come back in a day.

When we went to the vet, she thought he might have a yeast infection and she gave us some medicated shampoo (antibacterial / antifungal).
We washed him every weekend for three weeks in a row, and the smell went away.
Also I rinsed him with an apple cider vinegar rinse (half water, half apple cider vinegar).