Husky Owners Fat Club

Sarah

right second attempt at this, I hope I don't loose it all again! Rather than type the lot Ill just copy and paste what I have ready typed out for clients  :) maybe I should have done this to begin with but I did want to add more information!

It’s all well and good knowing what you should and shouldn’t eat but getting the correct portions can be a whole different ball game. As a trainer its important that all clients know how much of each food category (i.e. protein, carbohydrate, fats, etc) and how many calories they should be getting to achieve their goals. As I say many times, its not just about how many calories you consume, but more importantly where those calories are coming from. With most of my clients they use these apps to count their calories and some will say how much of these calories are coming from protein, carbohydrates and fats and while these can be a great idea the apps don’t seem to divide the nutrients up in their sub categories;

·         Sugars for carbohydrates

·         Saturated fats

·         Trans fats

·         Mono and Poly unsaturated fats

When it comes down to carbohydrates and fats (Protein is just what it is, its just protein plain and simple) these sub categories can be the difference between reaching your goals and not reaching your goals before loosing faith.

Im sure you know about the NHS Eat Well plate, this can be a great tool to use to help you balance out your meals. However it can also be confusing as there are a few different categories on there which fall into the same category as one or more of the others. Plus, from my point of view, the balance of it is more focused on a high carbohydrate intake over protein (carbohydrates being one of the main reasons why our waistlines are expanding). For those of you that are not sure about the eat well plate, here you go:

post-44-0-40207200-1412851452.jpg

I like to keep it a little easier by splitting things into 4 categories;

·         Protein (Lean meats, fish, eggs, vegetarian alternatives like quorn)

·         Vegetables (what I call fibrous carbohydrate)

·         Starchy Carbohydrate (Potatoes, Rice, Pasta, Bread, Grains)

·         Fats (nuts, seeds, dairy, avocados, oils, etc)

I use the same method as the eat well plate just divided up into the four categories rather than the 5 published on the eat well plate and also balanced it slightly differently. Here's how I show my clients to divide their plate up;

post-44-0-51314900-1412851519_thumb.jpg

This is just a simple pie chart I created and I have found my clients have found this much easier to balance their plates. It works out like this;

1. 1/3 Protein - Meat, Fish, Eggs, Low fat dairy, cottage cheese, vegetarian alternative (quorn, tofu, etc), beans/pulses
  2. 1/3 Vegetables - at least one vegetable being a dark green veg such as broccoli, cabbage, kale, spinach
  3. 1/4 Starchy carbohydrate - keep this to natural sources as much as possible by using foods such as potatoes, rices, and whole grains over pastas and breads (if use pasta or bread opt for wholegrain options)
  4. The remainder being fat - the majority of the fats being poly or mono unsaturated fats. To help identify these good fats check the nutritional values of a food item; you will usually always have two parts to fats, total fats and of which saturates. Compare the two together and you want 1/3 or less of the total fats to be under the saturated fat content. Also look for trans fats, these you want at zero or very very minimal; on food labeling if nothing is written under the nutritional value look in the ingredients for partially hydrogenated oils - if this is listed I guarantee you there will be trans fats in that food item.

You will notice I've not included fruits, Fruits, whilst being the most beneficial source of sugary carbohydrates, you want to keep intake of sugar low so I tell my clients to leave fruit for snacking or as desserts to main meals. Why do we want to keep sugar intake low? Well to keep it simple, sugar is one of the main causes to the ever expanding waistlines of humans today. Sugar is a quick release energy source that is generally used when we need a sudden spike in energy. However, this is a short lived energy source and doesn't provide us with a stable energy supply to get us through to the next meal (I'm sure you've all heard of the sugar spike  :bananadance: ). When we consume excess sugar (or any carbohydrate for that matter), which is easier than you might think, its gets stored in the body as body fat so it can be used as energy at a later time, mainly through the waistline as this closest to the liver and other organs involved with creating energy. So if we constantly over consume sugar, we are constantly adding to that storage rather than allowing the body to use up that previous excess.

I could go on further on this but i think id confuse you even more than already are :huskyfall: 

That'll do for now, if you are confused just ask away and will explain more.

• Like 3

I would say time is my problem!

We could all do with more of that lol

Unfortunately with these things it can be all about time and patience. Hate to say but it's even harder for you storm as your trying to gain weight, it's much much much harder to gain a healthy weight than it is to loose a healthy weight

Even body builders who make it their whole life to gain muscle mass (healthy weight gain basically), they would have been doing it for years on end. I'm not including those ridiculously sized body builders you would imagine, I'm talking about those with the physique we all want, like the swimsuit models, etc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have no idea what I weigh now but I know I've gone up a dress size since I quit smoking. Before I was around 7.5 stone but have definitely put a fair bit on since then. Recently though some of the weight does seem to be dropping back down. Think I'm starting to balance out after 18 months of not smoking. Probably helped I stopped gorging on biscuits. :shrug:

• Like 2

Weigh in was Thursday - lost 1lb - that makes 8lb so far :D

Really pleased with that weight loss as went for 2 meals out this week and wasn't good - didn't have a pudding though lol

8lb down, 62 to go! meh lol

That's great Hun, 1-2lb weight loss a week is much better than dropping it off any quicker, you'll be more likely to keep it off. Loosing more can result to your body hitting the starvation response which will result in your body storing more food.

How's the workout going?

Well done! Your doing better than me i've lost all motivation,

That's not good news, what's made you loose motivation?

Well done :D I managed to put a stone on in a year.... Lol

That's great Hun, it'll take much longer to gain weight than it does to loose it.

• Like 3

That's great Hun, 1-2lb weight loss a week is much better than dropping it off any quicker, you'll be more likely to keep it off. Loosing more can result to your body hitting the starvation response which will result in your body storing more food.

How's the workout going?

That's not good news, what's made you loose motivation?

That's great Hun, it'll take much longer to gain weight than it does to loose it.

I go in and out of phases can never stay on track, back on track now.

Workout hasn't been going much at all - booked in tomorrow night though :D

did a good walk with the boys tonight though to make up for it - they were that tired when we got back they weren't even pulling when we saw a cat :D

Good to hear your still making sure you're getting exercise. Lol our boys were like that when I take them on the Heath. How about the diet?

I forgot to add, I know it's not really weight loss or gain related but I've started training for my next running challenge. Still not set a date yet though but I'm going to run the distance of a half marathon every day for a month (31 days). It'll be a total of 654.1km (406.4 miles) in a month!

My knee and hip must be back to normal! Ran 21.8km today with no pains and my time is coming back to normal again, very happy me today, now I just need to remember not to drink too much water straight afterwards, so I don't then feel sick all afternoon!

• Like 1

I feel really determined one week and then the next not motivated not sure why

It's important to know the factor that drops your motivation, that way you can look at preventing it from happening. It can be easy for some and not so easy for others.

Is there a particular food you love that your not allowing yourself to have? Are you exhausted? A lot of stress? Personal problems? Are you eating the same stuff day in and day out? Have you lost the buzz you feel after a workout? Has the weight loss slowed down or stopped?