Fishbowl?

mydiamond

Its good to be prepared, though! :)

What kind of tank are you going to go for?

I came home with a desktop 1.5 gallon tank (can't find a two-gallon one for some reason)... I don't know if I made the right choice or not, people all said Bettas need at least three gallons to be totally active and happy. But I still need my desk to study :(

Yeah they say it's best to let the water in the tank settle for a few days (even up to a week)..also allows any unwanted chemicals to be removed as well. It's well worth the wait however as your fish will be healthy :)

I think the number's at least a week (using chemicals here). I can't just dunk a fish in and hope for the best... So waiting it is!

To do it properly it takes a month, but you can force it along using chemicals, I didn't do that, I just let it cycle then got a hardy fish to put in there just in case and kept up with water changes until everything settled fully.

Get a nice square tank, try and get one that's at least five gallons, a little heater and filter are good. Also if you get live plants, either keep the tank in a window or get a good bulb otherwise the plants will just wilt and die. For substrate, try getting sand, most people go for black because it looks awesome with beta's, you also won't have to worry about your fish eating stones then. For decorations, I got driftwood but I went for an all natural tanks.

I'm a bit on the fence regarding gravels (and/or sands) :huh: they look awesome, but I'm worried they'd cut those fine fins. I heard sand and Bettas aren't a good mix as they eat anything that looks like a pellet, sooo... I don't know, I'd read around a little more.

I am looking forward to your fish arriving and seeing the pics.  Will there be a naming ceremony ??? :D

I already have a name! :redface1: I'm far too excited LOL 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I came home with a desktop 1.5 gallon tank (can't find a two-gallon one for some reason)... I don't know if I made the right choice or not, people all said Bettas need at least three gallons to be totally active and happy. But I still need my desk to study :(

I think the number's at least a week (using chemicals here). I can't just dunk a fish in and hope for the best... So waiting it is!

I'm a bit on the fence regarding gravels (and/or sands) :huh: they look awesome, but I'm worried they'd cut those fine fins. I heard sand and Bettas aren't a good mix as they eat anything that looks like a pellet, sooo... I don't know, I'd read around a little more.

I already have a name! :redface1: I'm far too excited LOL 

I think 1.5 gallon should be fine. It isn't optimal, sure, but its way better than what they normally advertise for a Betta fish (0.5 gallons or less). Did you get a filter and heater for it?

You already have a name? Aw...I wanted to help! What name did you choose?

Edited by SolitaryHowl

Yep it came with a silent filter (I'll be honest, the 'silent' thing is pretty much why I chose this kit) and a LED lighting. I've also placed an order for a 7.5-watt heater (50 watt sounds scary for such a teeny tiny tank) but it won't be here until Wednesday or so. Along with the heater is a Seachem dechlorinator (top reviews everywhere), a submersible thermometer and a color-enhancer fish food designed specifically for baby Bettas (they have two "T"s in their name!). Tomorrow I'd pick up a household ammonia and start what they call "the fishless cycle" :)

His (or her) name is going to be True Blue Fantasy :D

Ah, I see. Good stuff, sounds like you're on your way!

Are you going to use plastic plants, live plants, or no plants at all? What kind of decorations are you going to use?

You can't have much, maybe a log (someplace for him to hide in) and a plant, for that size of a tank...because he's a Betta he might get his fins caught on things, so when picking out decorations you have to make sure there are no sharp edges to them. It was recommended to me, that if I can't get a real plant for whatever reason, to buy a 'silk' plastic plant. They are supposedly very easy on a fish's fins. 

And 'True Blue Fantasy'...so he's going to be a blue Betta then, I take it? :P

Yes I want a blue one :P only because the one that caught my eye when I first visited Petco is a dark blue male!

I hear a lot of nasty things about plastic plants so I'm gonna steer clear from them, but I really can't resist the look of that Squidward house decoration :lol: they just look oh so adorable! But then again I must make sure the holes are big enough for the fish to easily go in and out, and that there are no sharp edges that could tear its vulnerable fins.

I'm thinking of a dark blue gravel for the "flooring", but they also need to be a special kind of gravel so the fish won't mistake them for pellets, and won't hurt their fins (again with the fins) grazing atop them. Live plants sound like too much work :shrug: I might just settle with gravels and a simplistic hiding spot.

EDIT this is the tank so far. The filter is running, but I haven't added anything into the water. Speaking of the water, they're 3/4 drinking water and 1/4 tap water. Would've been 100% drinking water if our supply allowed, but even that already made my roommate's jaw drop :lol: she said I must be crazy LOL with me turning into an impromptu chemist, spending so much money and all just for a fish :shrug: that sign is my desk décor, I do not intend to add coffee into the tank :lol:

post-2850-0-53477100-1411262813_thumb.jp

Yes I want a blue one :P only because the one that caught my eye when I first visited Petco is a dark blue male!

I hear a lot of nasty things about plastic plants so I'm gonna steer clear from them, but I really can't resist the look of that Squidward house decoration :lol: they just look oh so adorable! But then again I must make sure the holes are big enough for the fish to easily go in and out, and that there are no sharp edges that could tear its vulnerable fins.

I'm thinking of a dark blue gravel for the "flooring", but they also need to be a special kind of gravel so the fish won't mistake them for pellets, and won't hurt their fins (again with the fins) grazing atop them. Live plants sound like too much work :shrug: I might just settle with gravels and a simplistic hiding spot.

EDIT this is the tank so far. The filter is running, but I haven't added anything into the water. Speaking of the water, they're 3/4 drinking water and 1/4 tap water. Would've been 100% drinking water if our supply allowed, but even that already made my roommate's jaw drop :lol: she said I must be crazy LOL with me turning into an impromptu chemist, spending so much money and all just for a fish :shrug: that sign is my desk décor, I do not intend to add coffee into the tank :lol:

attachicon.gif10394570_849392538412482_7075056135577743145_n.jpg

I love that coffee sign, LOL

Is there somebody at the pet store you can talk to that will know the right kind of gravel to buy for your Betta? 

And hey...its not just a fish. Its a pet. Just like how our dogs aren't "just dogs", they are members of our family. :)

I would get sand just in case your little guy is stupid enough to eat the gravel. Most fish will just spit out the sand if they eat it and I've never had a problem with labyrinth fish and them eating sand before. Rinse the sand before you put it in. If you really want to make something truly awesome, look into getting a soil substrate, maybe use a sand cap, then you can have a planted tank (they are seriously awesome) and aren't hard to maintain.

For plants, look into getting a moss ball, they don't need much light and are very easy to take care of. I just dumped mine into my upstairs tank and it's still alive today. Other easy plants are the ones sold as bunches you don't have to plant. With enough light they will grow easily and your fish will love them. He will probably tear any little plants up to make his bubble nest though so beware.

For the filter, make sure when you clean out the tank, you clean the filter as well, just take whatever is inside it, rinse it out with the old tank water and put it back, just so it doesn't get too filled up with crap. Putting it under a tap will kill off your good bacteria and will cause your tank to cycle again.

Your tank looks awesome though! I can't wait to see what you do with it. I would advise you to make some kind of back for it just to improve the look of the tank. I just painted some paper and blue tacked it onto the back of mine. One is just plain black, the other I painted the Aquabase from Lightspeed Rescue, although you can barely see it.

I love that coffee sign, LOL

Is there somebody at the pet store you can talk to that will know the right kind of gravel to buy for your Betta? 

And hey...its not just a fish. Its a pet. Just like how our dogs aren't "just dogs", they are members of our family. :)

Maybe if I go to another pet store, I'd have someone to guide me. My local Petco is seriously understaffed. Oh by the way I officially hate Petco now. I've just went to Meijer and found a 5 gal tank for $12.99. I bought my 1.5 gal tank kit for $30!

I would get sand just in case your little guy is stupid enough to eat the gravel. Most fish will just spit out the sand if they eat it and I've never had a problem with labyrinth fish and them eating sand before. Rinse the sand before you put it in. If you really want to make something truly awesome, look into getting a soil substrate, maybe use a sand cap, then you can have a planted tank (they are seriously awesome) and aren't hard to maintain.

For plants, look into getting a moss ball, they don't need much light and are very easy to take care of. I just dumped mine into my upstairs tank and it's still alive today. Other easy plants are the ones sold as bunches you don't have to plant. With enough light they will grow easily and your fish will love them. He will probably tear any little plants up to make his bubble nest though so beware.

For the filter, make sure when you clean out the tank, you clean the filter as well, just take whatever is inside it, rinse it out with the old tank water and put it back, just so it doesn't get too filled up with crap. Putting it under a tap will kill off your good bacteria and will cause your tank to cycle again.

Your tank looks awesome though! I can't wait to see what you do with it. I would advise you to make some kind of back for it just to improve the look of the tank. I just painted some paper and blue tacked it onto the back of mine. One is just plain black, the other I painted the Aquabase from Lightspeed Rescue, although you can barely see it.

I've just bought quarter-sized glass gravels today. They're colorful, but they look very plain without sand :o now I'm officially getting a sand. Not today, though.

I still don't want live plants :P might change my mind though, the tank looks very empty.

Aw, it's been at least eight years since the last time I washed a tank filter :) I never do it again since we switched to pond-dwelling kois. I'm a bit worried I might have forgotten how to, so thanks for the heads-up

I can glue a colored paper to the back of the tank and paint "True Blue Fantasy" on it :D