"wet Exzema" In Thick Coated Dogs Eg Huskies

Maz51

'WET ECZEMA'...NB...

This condition occurs when they get wet in patches but can't or don't dry out properly.

It is surprisingly common - never seen it b4.

I guess it's like prickly heat with sweating skin that can't dry off due to non breathable fabrics.

Reasons...

Thick undercoat may be too matted or not brushed through.

Wet Eczema can spread extremely fast.....because the eczema 'sweats' ...causing itching/irritable area/s and the toenails scratch, break skin - that gets spread and so on.

I hope I've caught this early; vet nurse shaved down and gives a wide berth to let it breathe and dry.

Poor Eski only had a 'thumbnail' damp patch which I thought may have been from a nip in one of their brief recent scraps. Chester was licking this all the time but vet nurse reckons that's what started it as a few days old....he was mouthing and licking a lot and ...and.... in his amour !! Lol

a98a69e3e175a83abec514ea07f15043.jpge20e8634b4831b2e849499882990dd32.jpgThe nurse said what she thought it was and.. got the shaver out; this is what came up when shaved!

From a thumbnail patch!!!

I'm desperately waiting for paperwork incl insurance papers as it was an £81.65 bill for her. Chester's bill to come later( sigh ? but we know this).

She's now on anti-inflammatory cream (steroid) as pills are too much with her spay-wound still healing, and antibiotics. Two knots on here but watching for now - hopefully suture knots will dissolve...or have to removed...

When we got home I started on grooming her and she really enjoys this and went flat on back and just enjoyed.

I've spent an hour on her (on the floor) just slowly going over her whole coat and tail and as close as I could to her collar and cone.

The Dyson groom tool sucks as it grooms, trapping and gently pulling through the coat and pulling cooling air too - this what I think they like so much as they get cooling 'draughts' through the coat as it grooms and aeriates the now non-matted areas.

Anyway, she is sleeping blissfully now after her excitement today.

I wonder...can U train her to go out backwards through the flap so she can exit/enter ? The cone will collapse to let her through..But it's a sudden stop when going forward! Aarrgh.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

My boy Keiko had wet eczema after I took him swimming and his coat didn't dry out properly. He got it on the back of his neck so luckily didn't need a cone.

The vets shaved the area, he had a weeks course of antibiotics and I had to bathe the area in a pink liquid called Hibiscrub once a day (pink liquid but turned his fur green lol!)

Within a week it had cleared up perfectly. The fur obviously took a while to grow back and came back slightly different to the rest of his coat (not visually) but otherwise all is fine and he's never had a repeat occurrence!

Sarah

I'm relieved to read this! Yep Eski's healing well though she caught it this morning somewhere as it was a bit red!

I'm not using Hibiscrub just the ointment.

Used H for years as a theatre nurse..brilliant cleanser.

Not as far as I know. My vet nurse didn't mention any alternative name. It's dried out competely and is not too scabby.

She's wearing the cone less and less but I'm putting it on in the morning as they play a bit energetically.

Both are walking well in their haltis and we're covering about a mile and half every night. Eski is also responding faster to her name now and coming to me.

She's going into 'sit' faster and will also go "down' for me.

Today...she has done four 'woofs' for please ?

She's also getting the hanging of 'wait' with food bowl down and is up to the count of five b4 given the 'ok' to start eating.

I'm pleased with her but she does still have possessive issues altho 'scraps' are very short or don't happen! She's quick to respond to 'leave!' & lies down immediately if told No! or 'away'!

Gettin'there... ?

• 1 month later...

Good to hear the Eski is better  :)

Have a look into getting a high velocity dryer/forced air blower. They blow the water off the dog and remove loose undercoat. It will definitely minimise the chance of it happening again. Adding coconut oil and/or fish oils to the diet will help to make a healthy coat where the natural oils will be able to cope better in fighting off these types of conditions.

Thx Jase.. she has tuna fish in the week X 2. Olive oil in her dry food and natural fats...eggs - 1 x 2 a week.

Her coat is a bit thin at the mo because so much OLD matted clumpy fur not brushed out properly over two years or since her first moult...her eyes look bright.nice pink tongue and she's definitely filling out...I see more meat going onto her ribs and spine!

Ordered her new harness and they'll have matching collars - to harnesses..she in purple and Chester in blue.

Keri Hooner looking to do me a blue/purple 2-dog gangline with the 'Y' tail in hi vis yellow...I hope.

Hi vis yellow neck tie...

Maybe hi vis bungee shock absorber... then team collars...but they look to be in one colour - blue-black-?

I hope to be able to get my rig...Simply Health pay out £70 a night overstay in hosp..I was in 5 nights...so MAYBE can get one with just a bit to pay over...

Can't wait... and get silver engraved dog collar tags...