Ethical breeding

Guest moe

What do you consider as an ethical breeder? what points would you insist on when looking for a breeder?

my thoughts are.

1. a breeder that proves their breeding stock, in the show ring and working environment.

2 Breeds only from dogs that have proven themselves.

3 has all the relevant health test to that breed and only breeds from clear stock.

4 makes efforts to have homes ready BEFORE breeding and extensivly home checks.

5 Breeds ONLY from dogs that are old enough to breed from. and age that is appropriate for that particular breed.

6 Supplies contracts and has pups endorsed with the KC to try to prevent indiscriminate breeding.

7 supplies lifetime advice and support for their pups owners.

8, accepts any of their breeding back for what ever reason and be prepared to keep or rehome to suitible replacement families.

9 If unable to take back any pups because of unforseen circumstances, be prepared to assist breed rescue financially in the rhoming of their dogs.

10 withdraws any dogs from their breeding programme if a dog is found to pass on any hereditary health problems.

11 has experience within their chosen breed and shows knowledge regarding the breed.

12 Keeps their dogs in healthy condition.

I am sure there are a few more pointers if anyone would like to add to the list please feel free to do so.

Mo

In my opinion, an ethical breeder:

- Does not just breed dogs for the sake of it. Every litter is bred for a reason and the ultimate goal is to better the breed. For this reason, they don't have litters just to sell on puppies as pets and make money, but to keep something for their own breeding program. Why breed just for the sake of it, when there are so many animals in rescue and being PTS.

- Ethical breeders screen all their puppy buyers and make sure they know the positives and negatives of the breed. They are there to support their puppy buyers for the life of the dog, and will take back any dog they have bred if it needs to be rehomed.

- If the pups are pet quality, they put them on a desexing contract (some breeders will refund puppy buyers $100 or so of the purchase price on proof of desexing).

- Ethical breeders do not need to show their dogs but the fact is that most do. If they don't show their dogs, they find another way to have their dogs evaluated so they aren't kennel blind. IMO a dog should be a good example of the breed or they should not be bred. This takes some understanding of the breed standard and you need to know what to look for. IMO, this is one of the biggest differences between a BYB and a registered, ethical breeder.

- An ethical breeder is always registered with their kennel club. All the pups in the litter come with pedigree papers at no extra cost (I hate those dodgey breeders that charge "extra" for papers!)

- Ethical breeders ALWAYS health test their dogs for relevant breed issues, with Sibes this includes hip scoring. I wouldn't touch a breeder who did not health test their dogs, there is a big difference between "oh my vet has gone over him/her" and actually doing the required breed health tests.

I could list more points but these are the big ones for me.

ETA: Oh, I forgot to add - ethical breeders are active in their breed and know all about the genetics of their breed, the various lines, other breeders, breed clubs etc. if they are new to the breed they do all they can to learn (usually with a mentor) and contribute to the breed in a positive way... if they are a more experienced breeder, they keep learning but also help those who are new to the breed :)

Forgot to add does not breed a bitch every season, and will only breed from a bitch maximum of 3 times within the suggested breeding ages.

Ensure that when studding out the bitches are also clear of health issues,

that the breeders who are using the dog at stud are also ethical breeders. will only breed to healthy stock and the goal to be improve each time.

Does not breed for specific looks ie longcoats, colour to supply specific market.

Does not sell in the loot free ads etc(no need if they have a long enough waiting list).

does not sell to pet stores.

Does not sell under false pretences and make false statements about their particular breed.

mo

I would disagree with the words 'Breading stock' personally as they are animals, not stock ... Just a personal opinion

I think it's just one of those older terms that people stick to out of habit... I don't think anyone means it literally. I know breeders who sometimes refer to dogs as 'breeding stock' just out of habit, in reality the dogs are terribly spoilt and all live in the house, LOL :)