Dante Is Home!!

Malcynth

and boy is he a little insane.. haha

10655316_933061863375741_278802740363073

10496173_931088083573119_529517748584678

friday actually went rather smoothly. he didnt whine for his denmates and the only time he whined was when he needed to go out.

saturday came and thats when we started losing sleep! i dont think ive hugged my pillow for longer than an hour at a time!

we are slowly trying to ease him in and teach him about his crate and potty time. and we are still having some trouble with keeping him calm at night. right now im trying some white noise during the night to see if he gets better as well as the hot water bottle method that is put underneath their bedding to make it feel like they are with their denmates. as well as a toy strictly given at bed time to make him want to go in his crate. other than that we are at a loss if anyone is willing to share their crate stories, and how they overcame it that would be AMAZING!

Dante is gorgeous!  As for crate stories, the only help I can offer is that when her crate was across the room (Ghost's crate is in our bedroom), she whined for most of the night and was up a LOT.  I rearranged our bedroom so her crate is about 2 feet from the bed, and she no longer whines as long as we're in the bedroom with her.  She sleeps through the night 90% of the time, too.  Crating without whining at any other time is still a work in progress though.  (Ghost is 10 1/2 weeks.)

What a cutie! When we brought Zoya home some six years ago, she would whine and cry for about 20 minutes in her crate, then quiet down, for a bit. I got up every two hours, every night for several months, to take her outside. When I'd bring her back in, she would whine for a few minutes, then go to sleep. After about two or three weeks, after we brought her home, the nightly whining had stopped. She was about six months old before I got a full night's sleep, because she was finally able to hold her bladder all night by that age.

You might wear an old t-shirt for an evening or two, then put it in his crate, without washing it. With something that holds your odor, he might feel a bit calmer in the crate. Sometimes you just have to be patient with these pups.

he turns into a banshee at night. and i know he doesnt need out, as ive taken him out 3 times to see if hes just playing games with me. nothing. so i put him back and he just about shakes the crate to the point of breaking, and cries out so loud that it is impossible to think straight. my boyfriend needs to work in the morning and soon so will i and i have a driving job. if im tired it risks my life, so i need help. ive been to google, and ive asked anyone who might know what to do, but everything i try doesnt work.

its 3 am right now and hes going batsh*t crazy. should i take him out and try and tire him out again? he just does not go straight back to bed. but if i do that it only reinforces that if he cries he gets play time. but if i dont he will continue to howl and cry all night

Yeah, you need nerves of steel late at night as you cannot give in except for toilet breaks and then back in the crate for sleep. 

There will always be the "Witching Hour/s" when they go bat-poop crazy as you say. Ours was around 7;30pm to around 9pm. 

Try and put something for him to safely chew in his crate to keep him occupied.

Try putting a tshirt that you have worn for a couple of days (that you don't mind being chewed up)

In with him, he's sufferring from separation anxiety, and you are his people and he misses you when you go to bed.

Also a ticking clock placed under his bedding mimics a heartbeat that can also calm them down.

I think I'm lucky or it could be that because we brought Bella and Noah home together, they were from the same house hold, born at the same time(obviously different parentage).  We used the kitchen as a crate.  They have never been anxious, whining etc when we go to bed. But they have always had each other for company.   

The only trouble is it is so hard to separate them and Noah is the worst he cannot settle and is really distressed till Bella is back.  It does worry me and I hope this is so far in the future when one goes and leaves the other behind. :(

P.s A lot of shoes, cushions, chair legs were used/eaten in this process...But they have grown out of it and roam the house at will....Now 2 years old +

I hope everything settles down and I'm sure it will...Just requires lots of patience and love

thanks everyone. i will try the suggestions. as of right now dante will no longer calm down in his crate, and i fear he will soon hurt himself.

basically this is my nights schedule:

7 ish i feed him one last time, and allow him to drink

i take him outside to do his business and he seems to be fine.

i bring him back in and play or keep him awake until about 9, when we start heading to bed, and we take him out once again.

up to the time we put him in his crate hes fine. when he enters that crate he becomes irrate and very loud. he will not shut up no matter how long we wait. we even left the room last night to see if he calmed down but to no avail. white noise no longer works, a kong filled with a treat worked for maybe 5 seconds, none of his toys will keep his attention.

he will then resort to biting the crate, and using his nose to try and pry open the door. he gets even louder when we just ignore him.

and now after a couple of days of trying to work with him his attitude has gotten worse. he throws a fit whenever he falls asleep by himself (will literally get mad that hes falling asleep and even whine). he nips really badly and will not be deterred by other toys that i try to distract him with. any sort of correction i do to him turns to deaf ears and he just continues. hes getting really aggressive and hes just barely missed my eye this morning when i took him outside. he bit the hell out of my cheek and it made me cry it hurt so bad. when i try to play with him he rips the toys from my reach and if im holding a toy he bites my hand until i let go. and then he will sprint in a random direction, bark at me and come charge right back at me.  im very afraid something is going on with him and i have no idea how to handle it. hes only 7 weeks old and i dont know what to do.

It sounds pretty normal husky puppyhood - they are far more full on as puppies than any dog I have raised previously. 

Please don't take this as negative, but raising a 7 or 8 week old husky puppy is not the warm cuddles and gentle play we all dream of. It is hard work and lots of it. You will wonder what on earth you have done when is seems that you have a demonic dog in your home LOL,  but rest assured things will get better  :) As I said before, you need nerves of steel and plenty of patience.

There is a heap of info on the forum about crate training and teaching bite inhibition, please look up some of the threads as most of your queries will be answered and then we will help with each issue you are facing.

thanks jase! as of right now he has calmed down tremendously and ive been working on no words andyes words and it seems to be getting better.

im also working on becoming the alpha with him and been at it since early this morning. if i see changes ill let everyone know 

you guys rock 

I think Jase has pretty much hit the nail on the head there. Little pups are incredibly hard work and will protest at being crated at first but gradually over time things should start to get better. Particularly with trying out the things already mentioned in this thread and positive rewarding. As much as I love puppies I swear blind right here I'll never have another one! All that sleep deprivation didn't agree with me! Ha ha.

Good luck, he is a gorgeous boy. [emoji1]

I have found "Alpha" to be such an over-used term, probably because of that Dog Whisperer guy, whatever his name is.  Anyway, I agree with Jase, forget the Alpha stuff and use positive reinforcement.  You want your pup to build respect for you, but not out of fear or intimidation.  Huskies are the most wonderful dogs on the planet, but getting them to the point where you really start to appreciate their character, can be a challenge.  Part of what you are experiencing may very well be due to your pup leaving the litter before 8 weeks of age.  Huskies learn so much from their mother and siblings from the age of six to eight weeks.  Bite inhibition being one of the major points.  But I will say, we picked up Zoya when she was 9 weeks of age, and she was a holy terror with the teeth for awhile.  I had my work cut out for me.  So, even as difficult as it is to deal with the issues, just don't give up.  The payoff will come.

aww beautiful my baby is 12 weeks now and he hasnt been to bad in the crate at night. He doesnt howl or anything he has 2 blankets a teddy and a rope toy in his crate. The only time he creates is when he needs potty so i let him out and as soon as he has done he runs back upstairs and straight in to his crate (apart from the last 2 nights he thought it was good to jump on the bed and onto my husbands head). If i was however to move my english bulls bed from the side of his crate i will say i will have a problem. They really are best friends now and i think having an older dog has helped with the process of him leaving his mum and the pack behind. And also training him

i hope you manage to get some where with the crate training and that you manage to get some sleep keep at it your lil furbaby will be worth all the sleepless nights and everything else that you have to go through

I know this is a random suggestion and I have no idea if its a good one or if you will fit.  But have you tried getting in the crate yourself and cuddling him if he will let you.  7 weeks is so young to be away from mum it might make him feel more  secure if your happy to go in there?

I suggest caution at staying in there to long else he might expect you to live in there and shut the door!!

well im glad to say Dante has gotten better. but still has troubles with staying asleep throughout the night, and still becomes irate when hes alone or in his crate.

past two days have been nerve wracking as hes now found out how to get past our baby gate, by sticking his head through the bars and pulling until it comes off. i fear this will hurt him, but we can never correct him because he never does it in front of us. going to work has been a worrisome process, as all i can think about is his safety and the lack of sleep i get inhibits my work. he has also learned how to escape his crate.

so we are still struggling, and cant find a solution. sleeping on the floor next to him works the first couple of times but if he wants out he will not stop until he achieves that