Cups Of Dry Food Per Day

Huskies eat about 60% of what another breed would eat. The biggest part of it, is their heritage. They would normally eat very little because food is scarce in colder climates so the body made up for it in with a very efficient digestive system and diet rich in protein. The better quality food you give your husky the less they need of it. Also works backward, the poorer the quality the more they need to consume. You might look at the price of the better quality commercial  food and say i cant afford to feed my dog 3 to 5 cups per day of this but this is the wrong thinking. You spend a bit more on the type they need and it will last longer than the cheaper brand with fillers and grain. This is one reason some huskies cant seem to regulate good poops or become obese easily. You cant expect to be in good health if all you eat is the cheap McDonalds every meal.

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We recently rescued a Husky/Shepard mix who looks like all husky except for her ears. She is guesstimated to be a year old and weighs 80lbs. The rescue group said they were feeding her 2 cups of dry food twice daily so that's what we have been doing. She is a total foody and acts like she is starving all the time. I was very surprised to read all the comments about feeing a total of 2 cups daily and that they would stop when they are hungry. Now, I'm concerned that we are feeding her too much. 

On 12/25/2020 at 2:47 PM, G and G in NV said:

We recently rescued a Husky/Shepard mix who looks like all husky except for her ears. She is guesstimated to be a year old and weighs 80lbs. The rescue group said they were feeding her 2 cups of dry food twice daily so that's what we have been doing. She is a total foody and acts like she is starving all the time. I was very surprised to read all the comments about feeing a total of 2 cups daily and that they would stop when they are hungry. Now, I'm concerned that we are feeding her too much. 

Wish I could help you   - but I am raw feeder.   However nearly all food packs state a higher amount of food than is necessary  -  some amounts are required in order to reach the AAFCO minimum requirements   -  kibble is not the best food on the planet  -  although I acknowledge that some kibbles are very much better than others.  

Most of the websites for raw feeding also  advise amounts that are at least  1/3rd too much  - they advised that for my dog's weight to feed 1 1/2 lbs of meat a day   -  my boys get around 800g- 1,000 grams a day  -  and both could do with losing a couple of pounds (but its Christmas)

• 3 months later...

One of my boys regularly skips a day of feeding  - the other would eat twice that amount if he could.  23 kilos sounds a little high to me for such a young dog  - is he a really big boned boy?    One of my boys is 3" taller, longer and much much stronger than my other boy  -  and weighs around 5 kilos more, - so there is quite a bit of leeway.   It is difficult to guage with no photo.

Providing he is not vomitting or appearing to be ill I would not worry too much.     YOu do not say what you are feeding him,is it possible to try something new?