Zrd Resources

I have been dealing with ZRD for almost a year, with no change or any idea that it was so common. Then I happened upon this forum *AAAAAAA – angels singing* and began my love of all ZRD related posts.

Luckily I have been off work for a few weeks (I tend to obsess) because I have been searching, and bookmarking and saving (and reading the same posts about 3 times because I forgot to bookmark the first few times) and I was thinking that maybe everything in 1 place might be super helpful to people who just don’t have the time to search and re-search.

Below is info from this forum (all from Jase J) and from the ZRD in Sled Dogs page on Facebook (thank you to everyone who shares their stories – it provides hope and lessens the alone feeling). I would like to point out that every dog is different and something that works for one may not work for another; that is why I am including things that have worked for different people. I would like to note that most of what I have included is pretty natural but many people use steroids and other prescriptions to assist with ZRD.

Food – I have seen that raw (which I have fed for years) is recommended but I am learning that there is also some very good kibble that is being used with success – it comes down to personal choice, availability and cost. I have seen recommendations on adding sardines or mackeral to their food or as treats.

ZINC – there are many forms, it may come down to preference and if your dog will take pills (I hide mine in ice cream). There are Zinpro original biscuts, a lot of different zinc pills and zinc powder. I have read that adding kelp to their food helps as well. There is a limit to the zinc you should be giving your dog, most packaging provides this number, if you are unsure, please ask your vet.

To help with itching, soreness and assist with healing:

-Probiotics to encourage the healthy gut flora and increase immune system (refrigerator in the health food store or drug shop)

-Pure virgin coconut oil (health food store, good food shops, Costco) – this can be applied neat (alone) to the sore area or mixed with turmeric (see more below)

-Sudocrem

-Turmeric powder (most supermarkets – aim for organic)

- 1/2tsp (powder) to food

- 2tbsp pure virgin coconut oil with 1tsp turmeric powder (rub on area – may turn hair yellow but it will grow out)

-Calendula tea (health food store) – will relieve the redness and itchiness (anti microbial, anti fungal and anti bacterial).

-For a spot treatment, mix 1tsp in 150-200ml of boiling water. Let steep, cool and drain. You can use a cotton ball to apply around eyes

-For a bath or bigger use mix 1tbsp per 500ml of boiling water. Let steep, cool and drain. Jase recommends using a spray bottle or a squeeze bottle so you can get the tea to the skin.

-You can also use some of the strained out tea leaves in their food.

**Note – this should be brewed for every use, but will last about a day

Evening Primrose Oil – recommended to someone by their vet as their dog has many allergies

I tried to link some of the information to the other forum posts but it came back saying I couldn't post links, so if anyone knows how I can do that please let me know and I can post the links after.

I don’t know how to word this so ***I AM NOT A VET. Above is information shared by other Husky owners and is located here for easy viewing. Always see your vet if any condition continues or worsens***

I was slightly scared I was going to get yelled at for making a really long post, so here’s my ‘not so’ sneaky way of adding my story – Last Christmas I noticed so scabs on Dakota’s muzzle, just thought he had cut himself sticking his nose under the fence. Well, it didn’t get better. Went to the vet, he checked Dakota, when he was done I remembered the scabs so I said (as he was checking Hemi) “So, I’m not sure about those scabs on Dakota’s face, I thought he scratched himself but they aren’t going away.” He replied “oh, it’s nothing”

Went back and saw another vet (same clinic) – he said it was ZRD and prescribed zinc pills.

Stopped back in a few months later because I had to get more eye drops (welcome to pannus) and asked about Dakota’s face not healing. I was told “The vet is on lunch”. I said I was concerned it wasn’t healing. The assistant left and came back to say that blood work would need to be done. Now I have no problem doing blood work, I have a problem with a ‘vet on lunch’ not speaking with me directly to figure out what is going on.

Off to another vet – she was great, confirmed ZRD and told me it could take a long time to heal. She did recommend blood work because Dakota is an older dog but she said it could wait until their annual visit.

Internet search begins, keep in mind that I was only ever told zinc deficiency then told it’s not really a zinc deficiency but that zinc just helps (inset eye roll) – I found out about Calendula oil from a website (that I can’t remember) so I picked some at the natural food store – it is extra virgin olive oil premixed with calendula oil.

OMG it did wonders! Dakota has never fully healed yet but it has cleaned up very nicely. I don’t think that Dakota would look this good if I just continued on the pills. 

post-12245-0-85509100-1409168626_thumb.j

post-12245-0-71955300-1409168634_thumb.j

post-12245-0-38379800-1409168653_thumb.j

Hi Candice

Great posts, good on you for doing so much research to help Dakota. Keep up the good work. :)

EDIT : As far as adding the links you want - I am pretty sure that is you open them in another window and simply copy the address, you should then be able to paste it into your message box. I never do the link thingy for the tool bar. There may have been a stop on linking before you have over 5 posts - I'm not sure, but it's not an issue now.

That's how I was adding the link, probably the issue with me being new. Good thing, I was on the verge of punching my laptop in the face :lol: Just kidding folks, I would get in trouble from my hubby for that