In Memorium

Im crying as I write this to announce the news of the death of my dog Diesel yesterday. He was the sweetest most friendly dog ive ever had and talked to me like no other dog has ever done.

Ive as yet to arrange to bring him home as id had to travel to the vets thirty miles away in Dumfries  by bus. He had not eaten for a week.The vets had diagnosed liver failure and severe jaundice .

His blood was bright orange when they took a sample.

I was asked if heed got hold of any paracetomol .

So having said no I must conclude my dog was poisoned.

I live in a rural area of South Lanarkshire and being English had not experienced racial hatred till coming to live here. This year with the referendum is worse than normal.

He did do one thing on our walk down to the buss to go to the vets he grabbed a dead rabbit off the road on the way. I told him to drop something he virtually never did. He went to the side of the road in the verge and dug a hole and stuffed the rabbit in it. I managed to pull him away as he moved to look at his prize.  A thought occurred that months earlier he had grabbed a dead rabbit emaciated carcass on a walk and a massive struggle ensued  I managed to get three legs and bits off him but he swallowed this utterly manky body.

no idea what had killed that rabbit.

So sad to read about your close companion and friend.  You know, dogs are a wonderful, wonderful blessing that we have with us, but for such a short time.  I am so sorry for your loss. 

• 2 weeks later...