Can Anyone Recommend Strong Dog Toys?

Wolfee

I have a problem with dog toys... I know how important it is for my two dogs to have mental stimulation when I'm not there with them, but they only have 2 toys... 

I've had my Labrador, Holly, for almost 5 years now and ever since she was a puppy she had a massive problem with chewing... The first week we had her when she was just 7 weeks old, she chewed off and (I'm sure) ate the corner of my mum and dad's new couch... 

Since then she's chewed everything you could imagine, even dry wall. (not even kidding) and one time she even chewed a wire which was plugged in... Her teeth are ridiculously strong, so it does impact the types of toys I'm able to get her... I can't get her the normal toys, like squeaky toys or even your average chew toys! She just destroys them within minutes. 

The only two toys that have survived her are robe-like toys, but there are only so many you can buy. She has a tug-of-war rope and a small rope-ball (we quickly learned that Tennis balls were useless). 

It's a problem because she gets bored with them and goes for things like shoes and clothes any chance she gets. And, our Siberian Husky Freya is more into the soft-toys (like normal dogs!), not the ropes and stuff, so she's always quite bored too. I gave her a plushie the other day which she loved to play with when she was younger, but Holly just destroyed it... She left stuffing everywhere. 

We've tried literally every type of correction method for Holly's chewing since she started the chewing... I even tried those anti-chewing sprays! Nothing works. She's like a chew-hulk-dog. I think it's just her type of personality... She thinks it's incredibly fun to chew things... Every time she chews something up that I've given her, like a shoe or something to keep her from chewing anything important for a while or just to keep her entertained, she leaves the mess everywhere and comes to sit by me as if to say "look what i did! Isn't it awesome?!" so I think there's no fixing it ;') Maybe she'll stop with old age <3 Hopefully. 

Can anyone give me some advice about this and recommend some very strong (and I seriously mean indestructible) dog toys? 

Thank you for any help!! 

- Chloe

post-11906-0-35078800-1407684211_thumb.j

post-11906-0-18265700-1407684216_thumb.j

Oh! And also, it affects her bedding... 

Holly and Freya sleep in a crate at night because we don't trust either of them to sleep in the living room without destroying something... 

Any type of blanket or mattress we get them just get's destroyed by Holly... It's very frustrating. 

I don't like that rope stuff since they can get stuck on the dog's tooth (especially the canines) =\ I think the #1 most durable toy I can recommend is Kong. Just anything Kong. Especially their signature filler toy.

post-2850-0-10311600-1407684352.jpg

That has lasted my boy 2-3 years.

By the way, Labs are notorious for chewing. That's what they're built for, I guess. Since they have that soft mouth thing. Dime used to chew everything too but then he grew older and the habit simply disappeared :o he chewed a plugged-in wire once and I really worry over it. My dad put duct tape around our wires and somehow he doesn't do it anymore after that. Maybe it's the texture difference. Who knows. You can also get bitter apple spray.

EDIT bedding is difficult, since they're all designed to be soft instead of durable. What about letting them sleep without bedding? I mean, it's not like they really need it? :o

Yeahh i've seen those things everywhere, but they are really expensive... I'm definitely going to end up buying one of the filler ones though, because I just would love to sit there and watch them both try and figure it out haha ;'D

&Yeah I know, for such a lovely, great breed it's such a big flaw! But it's kind of cute when you find a little lab puppy surrounded by feathers or stuffing from cushions and stuff... They do sleep without bedding, but I imagine it's not too comfortable >.< 

Kongs are very expensive alright. I took about a year before I finally decide my dog needs one. BUT, once you buy that "classic chew Kong" (I've just Googled its official name) you won't need to buy replacements until several years in the future. Years. Sounds like a great deal to me.

Diamond hates sleeping on anything soft, just so you know. I put him on a bedding once and he's like "what in the world?!" :shrug: bedding could make it a little too hot for them, too

Ahh, that's a long time ;o 

&It's weird though, because mine love lying on the couch and we gave Holly a spare duvet for her bedding once, and she loved it! It was hilarious, we'd come downstairs in the morning to find her on her back looking like the most comfortable dog ever ;'D

I have a non-stop chewer too! I hear Kongs are amazing but Loki HATES them (I think the smell of the rubber puts him off). I have the same issue when he is crated that anything I put in there he will rip up- one day he even pulled the crate cover through the crate bars and shredded it. I give Loki antlers, "golden chew" bars (like a thick beef jerky for dogs) and a variety of bones (leg bones are great because you can stuff treats in them like the Kong, rib bones are great to play fetch with and last longer than a stick) Those items are all I can leave in his crate for an extended period of time. It usually keeps him pretty busy if I put 3 to 4 items in there (he gets water as well )  I used to leave rope toys in there but he would pick them apart and try eating the tiny strings they are made of - NOT good. Nyla bones he would demo in a day and stuffed toys are done in 5 mins outside of the crate ! As for bedding I use a towel - my dirty towels! Sounds odd I know- but I found any new bedding or blankets that were HIS he would rip up and do what he liked with - since I started using something with MY scent (towels are convenient as they lay flat in his crate and fit well) he wouldn't dare destroy. I use my towels to cover the crate too and he hasn't touched them. They aren't very padded but collect his hair (off to the washer and poof its all gone :) )  and stop the noise of this paws on the plastic. 

Solid rubber balls from Wilkinsons.

Last forever and cheap too.

Same thing from any pet store 3 times the price.