Mohawk?

loudlucky

Haven't seen it in the Husky books or can't remember anyone mentioning it before, but is it normal for them to have a 'mowhawk' on their head and necks at 4 months old??? It looks weird and cool at the same time :D

Sorry the pic isnt the best of quality...

post-11912-0-12207400-1407328639_thumb.j

Aww, i'm struggling to see exactly but I think that's the fur ruff around her head.  Where the fur from her face is growing in one direction and the fur from the back is growing in the opposite direction and it meets in the middle and tufts out. 

Aww, i'm struggling to see exactly but I think that's the fur ruff around her head.  Where the fur from her face is growing in one direction and the fur from the back is growing in the opposite direction and it meets in the middle and tufts out.

it forms a 'ridge' downwards from her head to the shoulders ;) all the hair seems to come together from all angles and stand up there...:shrug:

lol.  Mohawk dog. that does make me laugh. :rofl:

I suppose it also depends on the seasons as the fur tends to be thicker in the winter time.  

You see in this pic below, the way the fur fans out around the side of the face?  That's what i'm wondering is what happening here?  I could be wrong but that is my guess, lol.

shutterstock_125846021.jpg

Is it like this?

post-2355-0-12000000-1407339010_thumb.jp

Dana has them during shedding. It's the way she sheds that the fur on her back is always the last one to go, which results in a funny looking mohawk all the way down her back. It's usually only visible for a week or two. Weirdly enough it doesn't show up every shed.

These photos were taken a couple of years ago when the difference was really noticeable and she just walked around for a while with a big stripe on her back. I called her little Firefox  :lol:

post-2355-0-10920600-1407339004_thumb.jp

post-2355-0-58115500-1407339007_thumb.jp

:huskyfall:  cuteness overload!  im extremely jealous :P a 4month old husky and a 9 week old collie / 2month old collie? ooofftt you have a lot on your plate :P

yeah, they're a handful!

I need to get a sideways picture of her mohawk... but everytime I have the camera she zooms around :rolleyes:

Got some better pics that shows the length too ;) looks like there's a hole on her head now where the 'mohawk' is splitting in two, the hair going over to both sides now, but the neck is still a mohawk and getting longer by the day! Weird dog! :D

post-11912-0-56223900-1407670180_thumb.j

post-11912-0-63449300-1407670203_thumb.j

post-11912-0-29410800-1407670219_thumb.j

post-11912-0-92534400-1407670233_thumb.j

post-11912-0-14607500-1407670248_thumb.j

• 5 years later...
On 8/6/2014 at 9:34 AM, Emma said:

My Siberian Husky has a mohawk as well.  I rescued her from a lady who had found her wondering the streets but couldn't keep her and she was thinking she may be mixed breed because of the mohawk.  I've been googling mixed breed huskies and huskies with mohawks and came up empty lol.  This explains why, hmm so now I'm mostly certain that she is 100% Husky and not a mix at all.  This is very interesting, and I'm so glad this question was asked.  

IMG_4398.jpg