Chihuaha

okay.. so I don't know if any of you have ever experienced a Chihuahua. but if you have, you'll know what I mean.

they have either one of two very extreme personalities.

one- very shy and skittish. scared of everything- including their own shadow. haha. or..

two- very.. moody? okay, no. it's just straight grumpy. if you wake them up, they growl/snap at you. if you try to move them on the couch, or anything, they do the same.

now, I have two chihuahuas. one skittish one, and one grumpy one. the problem is, if paisley tries to mess with her, or jump on the couch, or anything.. Lexi (the grumpy chihuahua) snaps at her.. and paisley snaps back. they got in a fight today and paisley drew blood on Lexi.

I know, that's awful. paisley isn't mean unless Lexi starts it, but Lexi is my parents dog. and they obviously get mad and blame paisley because Lexi is the one getting hurt. but I don't know what to do.

ANY suggestions? I don't want them to get in a fight when paisley gets bigger and her SERIOUSLY hurt Lexi. :(

thanks in advance. and, even though I don't think she's real pretty, pictures ! haha :Ppost-12025-1406699629716_thumb.jpgpost-12025-1406699709797_thumb.jpg Lexi post-12025-14066997279121_thumb.jpg Chloe as a puppy.. only picture I have, i think.. she's the skittish one. haha :P

I've not had any experience with little dogs so my advice would probably differ to normal as lexis size puts her at a disadvantage here.

Firstly, if lexis trying to rest and doesn't want to be disturbed then it's reasonable for her to say back off I have had enough. Most adult dogs will try to put the pup in it's place if they feel the pups going too far. Paisley being a typical pup is going to push her luck because that's what pups like to do best, lol.

If it were me and I saw that lexi had reached the end of her tolerance levels then I would either call paisley back myself or separate them for a while depending on the severity of the situation. As Paisley grows she should learn how far she can push her luck but in the meantime she's still learning and finding her place in the pack, so the odd fight might break out.

I've had minimal experience with three Chihuahuas. Two purebreds and one mix. One of the purebreds, who shares a home with a teenage Pit, acts just like your Lexi. However, the Pit never retaliates. So I just let the dogs be and inform their owners about what really happened. The Chi's capability of snapping at the Pit shows that he's able to defend himself, and seeing as the Pit listens, we do not need to intervene.Educate the humans, end of story. However, since Paisley does retaliate, I think a little intervention is needed. I'm not the best person to teach you how, but I know a lot of our members here have a command to break up a play (esp. when they see it's about to escalate to a fight). For example, "ENOUGH!". With only one dog in the household I don't know how to teach that, but I'd suggest you looking into teaching such word to your dogs (plural, meaning the Chis also need to learn). Keep a watchful eye, and yell the break-up command before things turn bad.

Hope it helps :)

I have 2 Yorkies and I have a similar problem. Diablo leaves my male alone because he has had the wrath of a Yorkie unleashed on him but he harasses the life out of my female who is only 2.5kgs. He literally drags her around at full speed by her jersey if I don't pay enough attention. A few weeks ago he accidentally broke her foot by running into her. I have even caught him stalking her!

You are going to have to be extra careful and monitor their interaction. I now leave my little ones inside whenever I am not home (Diablo has company so he is fine outside) and when I am there I monitor them constantly. I don't have too many problems over weekends when its warm and I can take her jersey off because then he has nothing to grip so he isn't very interested. As soon as he starts he is told a firm LEAVE and put outside until he calms down

You may find that the reaction Paisley gets out of them is what encourages her even more. Mydiamonds idea of a break up command is what I have done. It's slowly starting to work. Just be careful, the toy breeds are very delicate and Paisley doesn't know her own strength. Diablo doesn't do it to be malicious he is just playing the way he knows how and a little education goes a long way but it takes patience.

I've not had any experience with little dogs so my advice would probably differ to normal as lexis size puts her at a disadvantage here.

Firstly, if lexis trying to rest and doesn't want to be disturbed then it's reasonable for her to say back off I have had enough. Most adult dogs will try to put the pup in it's place if they feel the pups going too far. Paisley being a typical pup is going to push her luck because that's what pups like to do best, lol.

If it were me and I saw that lexi had reached the end of her tolerance levels then I would either call paisley back myself or separate them for a while depending on the severity of the situation. As Paisley grows she should learn how far she can push her luck but in the meantime she's still learning and finding her place in the pack, so the odd fight might break out.

I would think it's just that, she wants to rest, but she does it a lot more than when she's just tired. like if she's sitting on the couch and paisley walks by, she jumps down to growl and nip at her. is she just saying that's her territory maybe?

I may just be over exaggerating, though, since I'm not a big fan of the Chihuahuas. (shh, don't tell my parents) I hope it doesn't happen again, because that was scary. and it's easy for paisley to break skin since Lexi doesn't have as much hair. [emoji15] gah, thank you!

I've had minimal experience with three Chihuahuas. Two purebreds and one mix. One of the purebreds, who shares a home with a teenage Pit, acts just like your Lexi. However, the Pit never retaliates. So I just let the dogs be and inform their owners about what really happened. The Chi's capability of snapping at the Pit shows that he's able to defend himself, and seeing as the Pit listens, we do not need to intervene.Educate the humans, end of story. However, since Paisley does retaliate, I think a little intervention is needed. I'm not the best person to teach you how, but I know a lot of our members here have a command to break up a play (esp. when they see it's about to escalate to a fight). For example, "ENOUGH!". With only one dog in the household I don't know how to teach that, but I'd suggest you looking into teaching such word to your dogs (plural, meaning the Chis also need to learn). Keep a watchful eye, and yell the break-up command before things turn bad.

Hope it helps :)

we have a mix, also. when my neighbor's pit was a puppy, (the girl) it was scared of Lexi. haha it was funny. I broke them up last night, told paisley no, and made her stay outside on a leash for a while. she also slept in her crate last night, which has nothing to do with it, but I'm excited 'cause there were no accidents!

I'll try to figure out how to teach that command. it'll probably be easy to teach paisley, but the chihuahuas don't know ANYTHING. not even how to sit. and my parents won't help, they say it was the chihuahua's house first, then can do what they want. it's awful. but I'll try! thank you!

I have 2 Yorkies and I have a similar problem. Diablo leaves my male alone because he has had the wrath of a Yorkie unleashed on him but he harasses the life out of my female who is only 2.5kgs. He literally drags her around at full speed by her jersey if I don't pay enough attention. A few weeks ago he accidentally broke her foot by running into her. I have even caught him stalking her!

You are going to have to be extra careful and monitor their interaction. I now leave my little ones inside whenever I am not home (Diablo has company so he is fine outside) and when I am there I monitor them constantly. I don't have too many problems over weekends when its warm and I can take her jersey off because then he has nothing to grip so he isn't very interested. As soon as he starts he is told a firm LEAVE and put outside until he calms down

You may find that the reaction Paisley gets out of them is what encourages her even more. Mydiamonds idea of a break up command is what I have done. It's slowly starting to work. Just be careful, the toy breeds are very delicate and Paisley doesn't know her own strength. Diablo doesn't do it to be malicious he is just playing the way he knows how and a little education goes a long way but it takes patience.

we have a chorkie (chihuahua / yorkie) also. she's something else, haha. paisley is like.. attracted to her. she tried to pull her around by the hair. I've ended up having to carry around a spray bottle of water and spray her in the face anytime she gets close to Bella (the chorkie). not sure if any of you would agree with that, but it's the only things that's worked. :( but oh my, that's crazy. it's so difficult to keep huskies and little dogs :/

trust me, they aren't left alone. the big dogs go in the crate if I ever have to leave, and normally the little dogs won't leave my parents room. I'm gonna try that.. it's kinda what I did last night when they fought. I told her no and chained her up outside for about 20 minutes.

it starts off with paisley just playing, also. and if that were the case, I wouldn't be worried. but once Lexi bites/growls back, she gets mad and starts fighting too. and yes, lexi's reaction definitely doesn't help. I'm gonna try the command, for sure. I really hope it works! thank you so much!

I would think it's just that, she wants to rest, but she does it a lot more than when she's just tired. like if she's sitting on the couch and paisley walks by, she jumps down to growl and nip at her. is she just saying that's her territory maybe?

I may just be over exaggerating, though, since I'm not a big fan of the Chihuahuas. (shh, don't tell my parents) I hope it doesn't happen again, because that was scary. and it's easy for paisley to break skin since Lexi doesn't have as much hair. [emoji15] gah, thank you!

Yeah, I would agree with that. She's laying down the law to Paisley and seeings as she's a chihuahua, she's doing it in a yappy, snappy way. Problem being, a little dog making a lot of noise is going to be waaaaaay to interesting to a husky pup to ignore. It's like waving a reg flag to a bull, lol.

Same thing with my cat, Hannah isn't mean but playful and she is biiiiig!!!! They were good friends, sometime even slept together while she was under 40lb, but I wouldn't risk it now. I know I can't blame Hannah for hurting the Kitty cuz the prey drive is written in her DNA, but I can never see her as the same dog if accident happens someday. I just separate them now......Kitty in the bedroom set and Puppy in the rest of the house and yard, it was a lot of work, I have to let the dog out and free the kitty, put the kitty in and let Hannah in the House...... but I feel safer......

Yeah, I would agree with that. She's laying down the law to Paisley and seeings as she's a chihuahua, she's doing it in a yappy, snappy way. Problem being, a little dog making a lot of noise is going to be waaaaaay to interesting to a husky pup to ignore. It's like waving a reg flag to a bull, lol.

that's probably the best description I have ever heard, to be honest. and the biggest problem is, paisley doesn't put up with it. chad just goes along. paisley fights back :(

Same thing with my cat, Hannah isn't mean but playful and she is biiiiig!!!! They were good friends, sometime even slept together while she was under 40lb, but I wouldn't risk it now. I know I can't blame Hannah for hurting the Kitty cuz the prey drive is written in her DNA, but I can never see her as the same dog if accident happens someday. I just separate them now......Kitty in the bedroom set and Puppy in the rest of the house and yard, it was a lot of work, I have to let the dog out and free the kitty, put the kitty in and let Hannah in the House...... but I feel safer......

yeah, my two don't really have the prey drive yet (knock on wood), it's just dog aggression with dog. ya know? chad chases the kitty, but if he gets close he just smells her. it's not the "husky prey drive" it's just dog chasing cat. it's funny. I'm glad they don't have the drive, and I hope they never get it. but i do separate them if I'm not around. :D

Hannah chases every moving subject!!!! EVERY ONE OF THEM. It's horrible when I walk her on the street, she would try to chase every automobile passing by. That's why I have to eat a energy bar before I walk her hahaha

oh my. chad will kinda eye it, but I can control him enough to where he'll keep walking. he's a really laid back dog, though. I'm not sure if he's even a husky- haha! If I'm walking and I see a car, I make my two "sit" and "stay" until the car passes by. I'm really careful with vehicles now because my previous one got hit.