7 Month Old Husky Puppy Not Eating Much Of His Dry Dog Food

So I have usually only fed my husky puppy dry food such as nutrisource and orijen puppy food. I wanted to continue him on orijen but needed to save a little money to get the food again so i had him on raw dog food for about 2 weeks. He loved it so much that now he wont really eat his dry food unless i put some other food mixed in it. I want him to just eat his orijen dry dog food since thats what im going to stick with for now and the future. He use to eat the orijen dog food in the past in seconds and now if its just by itself he wont eat it. What are some good ideas to get him eating it again. I hate not seeing him eat as much since he is still a puppy and has much more growing to do. His growth wont get stunted will it? Please HELP!  Should I just continue only trying to feed him his dry orijen dog food until he finally decides to eat it? I have completely stopped feeding him human food for the past few days. Ill probably stop feeding him treats as well until he starts eating his dry food again. I know huskys arent big eaters and can be pretty picky but he needs to be eating especially the exercise i give him. any advice would be great. this has been stressing me out. 

Here is a pic of him 

post-11023-0-82867900-1405474889_thumb.j

He looks pretty good to me, how much are you feeding per day? 

In my experience, if you mix other stuff in with their food, they are going to expect it.  So when you stop adding the other stuff, they will hold out for something better. That said, they won't starve themselves, however they may skip a meal or two, but will eat when they figure out what they have is the best it's going to get.  Nikko went through this, and I made the mistake of adding chicken and treats, and he would not eat otherwise.  So, I learned to put his bowl down for about 10 min, and if he didn't eat, I would put it up and he would get it at dinner.  Now, if they stop eating for more than a day or two, then I would be concerned.  

And I think your right to take away human food and treats. He has got to start eating his kibble first.  Good luck!

Because raw food diet is too expensive. And I really like the ingredients in orijen. Today is the day I start him with just sticking to his orijen dry food alone with nothing added. Keeping my fingers crossed. He has an appointment next week to get neutered so I'll have the vet check him out just in case to see everything is ok

So I have usually only fed my husky puppy dry food such as nutrisource and orijen puppy food. I wanted to continue him on orijen but needed to save a little money to get the food again so i had him on raw dog food for about 2 weeks.

Because raw food diet is too expensive. And I really like the ingredients in orijen. Today is the day I start him with just sticking to his orijen dry food alone with nothing added. Keeping my fingers crossed. He has an appointment next week to get neutered so I'll have the vet check him out just in case to see everything is ok

Andrew, these two statements seem to be contradictory to me.  If you fed him the raw diet (which you could afford) because the kibble was too (more) expensive, then how can it be too expensive to feed raw? 

I know we have members who feed raw and have said that it can be cheaper than feeding kibble, it's just a matter of having a good regular supplier (my interpretation).

Whichever road you choose, it's really doing the dog a disservice to switch it's food randomly (unless you're in a major financial crunch, that's understandable).  Some / many / most of our dogs will react badly (loose stools / constipation) when their diets are simply changed from one meal to the next.

As I've maintained, vocally and often, "A healthy dog is not going to starve himself to death laying beside a bowl of good dog food" but we owners can and do often sabotage ourselves by providing enhancers that aren't needed.

Well orijen is high quality food and 80 bucks per 30 pounds and at the time I didn't have 80 dollars on me but was able to get him some rolls of raw food from the pet store. I'm sure feeding raw is probably the same price as the orijen I buy if bought from the right supplier but I don't know any suppliers like that and pet stores are really expensive for raw food.

I didn't realize people bought "raw" diet stuff at a pet store. I always assumed raw meant that you use raw ingredients that you can buy pretty much anywhere to create your own diet for your dog. I don't know, that is just what I always did when I fed raw. Anyway, I am not an expert on dog food, but I have to be honest with you, unless they are putting gold flakes in that kibble, eighty dollars for thirty pounds seems absolutely absurd to me. Now, if you can afford it, go for greatness, but it's also sounding like so far you already had an issue with the price being steep and regardless of how healthy it is I think there are other foods out there that are just as healthy without costing a mint per bag. I am not trying to suggest another food change right away, since if done too suddenly it could make your dog sick, but you might want to look around and see if there are better options for you. I know a lot of people on the forum use Taste of the Wild. It doesn't work for everyone, of course, but it's a lot better priced and ingredient-wise quite healthy for your dog. Before you starting going back to Orijen, I would seriously consider using something that will both be healthy for your pup and that you never have to worry about affording. Now, if this is completely unwanted advice, I really apologize, just trying to help.

Sent from my iPhone inbetween walking dogs!

Tiffany, I think you're spot on.  Andrew, this isn't intended to come across as condescending but it may ... please bear with.

All of us want to do the best we can for our furry friends, if that means that in order to get our dogs spayed we skip a couple of dates with our friends - we hope they understand.  But sometimes we seem to lose perspective.  For some people, $80 for a 30 pound bag of dog food is an easy purchase, for some of us it would mean we're eating canned dog food to make the purchase.

I feed (and have for years fed) most of my dog one of the worst dog foods going, (Purina Dog Chow) but when they eat it and I can afford it, it works.  (( Laughably, Avalanche turns his nose up at the diet dog food that I'm feeding Sasha - he'd prefer the Dog Chow ))  I'd like to feed them a better quality food, but I have two problems:  availability - Dog Chow is common among the ranching community so I can get it at a decent price almost anywhere; cost - for what I paid for 25 pounds of Sasha's Diet Dog food, I could have bought 1.5 50 pound bags of Dog Chow.  Polonius, in his advice to his son says:

Costly thy habit as thy purse can buy,

But not expressed in fancy—rich, not gaudy,

For the apparel oft proclaims the man,

In this he says a lot. Buy clothing (or whatever) that is as good as you can afford; because how your present yourself (or your dog) shows how you think and feel about yourself or your dog.

When we lose sight of the fact that we can't care for our dogs ( family ) if we don't first take care of ourselves then we find ourselves in financial crises that shouldn't be crises.

Edited by Al Jones

One of mine has stopped eating for the last couple of days and we know the reason its been the same every year since she was born ITS TOO BLOODY HOT she looks at me and as if to say sod that I can't be arsed  :lol: She will come round after a couple of days always does :)

As for your dog the biggest mistake as you know has been feeding off plate eg human food stick to your guns with the kibble only and he will eat eventually good luck :) 

My husky stopped eating as much once it hit summer. So i figured it must be too hot or that she hasn't burned much energy. I try to exercise her in the summer but when shes out she looks more like she wants to go home and lay down in the ac air. But when i bring her out in the morning to play then come home she usually has a better appetite.