Mexican Red Knee Tarantula

Okay so me and my brothers got my mum a Mexican Red Knee Tarantula spiderling about three years back, and the first one she killed because she dropped the pot! >.< so the second one we have still got which we bought straight after (kind of like a child whos fish / hamster has died). Shes now got to be about three years old, and im cleaning the house, i come across her enclosure that i havent looked at in ages (its only a little fish transporter thing) theres no water and all i see is legs up in the air!

i freakked out because my mum would be distraught so i had a closer look and she had just shed her skin - relief, but she looks beautiful! when her skins hardened up a bit ill take a picture of her and post it. :D

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The next time I have to chase one out of the house, I'll see if I can remember to snap a picture and you can tell me what species it is.  They're all too common around me ... not that common, I see about one a week outside and have chased a couple out of the house.

I'd trap them and sell them to a pet shop :shrug: no I mean it. There's one part in my town where fancy giant snakes are common. Farmers got tired of returning them to the woods, so they pack them up in an aquarium and sell them to reptile lovers.

The next time I have to chase one out of the house, I'll see if I can remember to snap a picture and you can tell me what species it is. They're all too common around me ... not that common, I see about one a week outside and have chased a couple out of the house.

Well that settles that! There's no way I would live anywhere that those things can live in the wild :o

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

• 4 months later...

Tarantulas are pretty cool pets if you want something that's more of a display animal than one to play with...though many tarantula species are fairly docile and can be handled.  We have two different species right now...a Mexican Golden Red Rump and Mexican Fireleg.  They're pretty spiders...as spiders go!  Haha!  My husband is an elementary school teacher so we have a random assortment of class pets that come home and stay during the breaks.

Tarantulas are pretty cool pets if you want something that's more of a display animal than one to play with...though many tarantula species are fairly docile and can be handled.  We have two different species right now...a Mexican Golden Red Rump and Mexican Fireleg.  They're pretty spiders...as spiders go!  Haha!  My husband is an elementary school teacher so we have a random assortment of class pets that come home and stay during the breaks.

Oh gosh tell me about the random class pets. My eighth grade class pet was a gigantic grasshopper (I mean it, her legs were at least 15 cm/5.9 inches long). Apparently one of my classmates' dad exports fancy, indigenous insects for people to keep as pets :huh: we named her Ming.

My eighth grade class pet was a gigantic grasshopper

Okay, nope, there are limits!  I remember being traumatized by these gigantic grasshoppers as a child when we were visiting relatives in Florida.  Huge, yellow, gross things that were EVERYWHERE!  That's terrifying!  Haha!

Well, right now we have two tarantulas, two corn snakes, a scorpion, a bearded dragon, and a betta fish (pretty normal).  In the past we've had hamsters and rats.  Actually, the rats are great pets but I developed an allergy to them.  We had one huge floppy male (whose cagemate had died) that my husband would just allow to be loose in the classroom all day.  He'd wander around the desk area, steal papers and things and run back into his cage!

I would die if I ever found a tarantula in my house, I am staying put in the UK and away from peoples houses that own them. 

Harold my tame spider who lives in the corner of my kitchen by the top of the window, I let live, all my family want to get rid of him (there not convinced it is a him).  Harold comes and goes as he pleases and I am happy for him to do so as long as he stays just there.

They all think he is a false black widow spider, but to me he is just Harold the Harmless.